FUE & Strip, Please clear this up !!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and asked this question before and got very useful information & later did a great deal of research but I am still not clear on a few points:

I am a NW6 & 42. I am seriously considering an HT however I am concerned about the scar produced by Strip (as it is important to me to have the option of shaving my head completely if I wanted in the future.)

Now what I'm unclear about:

Why is FUE said to be associated with smaller graft counts? Is it because the maximum no. of grafts (with FUE) per session is limited? Say to around 1000? so am I right in saying that if you wanted say 4000 grafts you would have to have 4 sessions & of course pay a lot more money? as opposed to Strip where you could have the 4000 grafts in one session?

My research (including my consults) so far tells me that FUE & Strip are pretty much two methods of doing the same thing (if you consider a top surgeon) but FUE takes longer & costs more. Is this right?

I have had a few consults with various Strip & FUE surgeons & they all seem to think that I need around 4500-5000 grafts but all say its possible & feasible. I need help on this please advise.

Many thanks for your help

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and asked this question before and got very useful information & later did a great deal of research but I am still not clear on a few points:

I am a NW6 & 42. I am seriously considering an HT however I am concerned about the scar produced by Strip (as it is important to me to have the option of shaving my head completely if I wanted in the future.)

Now what I'm unclear about:

Why is FUE said to be associated with smaller graft counts? Is it because the maximum no. of grafts (with FUE) per session is limited? Say to around 1000? so am I right in saying that if you wanted say 4000 grafts you would have to have 4 sessions & of course pay a lot more money? as opposed to Strip where you could have the 4000 grafts in one session?

My research (including my consults) so far tells me that FUE & Strip are pretty much two methods of doing the same thing (if you consider a top surgeon) but FUE takes longer & costs more. Is this right?

I have had a few consults with various Strip & FUE surgeons & they all seem to think that I need around 4500-5000 grafts but all say its possible & feasible. I need help on this please advise.

Many thanks for your help

yellow_Fellow,

Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of FUE vs FUT. FUE, Follicular Unit Extraction, merely uses a different method of harvesting grafts that FUT, Follicular Unit Transplant (actually referred to as STRIP method more commonly). FUE uses a punch to indivdually harvest the grafts which STRIP is a strip of hair harvested from the lower back and sides of your head. They're transplanted in the same fashion.

One piece of advice...............if you want the option of shaving down in the future don't get a HT using either method. Personally, unless I only wanted 300-500 grafts and money was no object, I wouldn't consider FUE. With the STRIP method, the scar is less of an issue than it used to be since most top surgeons now use a closure method which allows hair to grow through the scar (trychophytic closure). I can clip to 1/2"-1" without the scar being noticable, I imagine if I shaved totally you would see it. Even with FUE, depending on the surgeon, your genetics, type of punch used.....etc., there is the risk of little white scar "dots" on the back of your head if you shaved down or possible a cobblestone look...............there are no guarantees.

Yes.................reason for fewer FUE grafts per session is it take MUCH longer to harvest them. If you got 1000 in a day I believe that would be quite a bit. With STRIP there have been over 7000 (rare but it has been done) in one day with 4000-5000 being common place for top surgeons with efficient staff.

COSTS...........I believe you'll find FUE costs around 3 times as much as STRIP.

Just my $.02............hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

These guys have spelled it out well for you. If you are comfortable with shaving your head save your money and do so. Once you have a HT there is really NO turning back whether strip or Fue, especially if you need 4000-5000 Fu.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Yellow,

I agree with the above advice....FUE and Strip will both create scarring, however, with todays methods there is a good possibility that the scarring will be minimal...but it is still a risk and you MAY very well lose the option of shaving your head without showing some kind of scar.

To put it simply, FUE is typically associated with lesser numbers of grafts because it takes much more time to get the same number of grafts than with strip. It is also more expensive so some patients might choose to have a lesser surgery only to go back later to finish the job when they get more income.

Bill

Guest Cousin_It

yellow_Fellow...

Just like everyone previously stated, either way there will be visible scarring if the head is shaved, so if you are considering this do not have a transplant done.

Considering your stage (NW6), doing it by FUE will be extremely expensive and very time consuming. I consider the FUE to be basically for minor areas and touch ups. The only way to go for your stage is strip (FUT). Check out the coalition surgeons in the directory and send out online consultationsto those who interest you and narrow it down from there. Take your time in making a decision and get it done right the first time. Good Luck!