23 years old and considering HT ... Looking for comments/suggestions

Hi guys, I've been reading these boards for quite a while and it's been very informative and interesting! I've finally decided to post a topic of my own in order to get some of your opinions on my situation. First, a little background: My hairline very slowly began thinning and receding around the age of 17. By the time I was 18, I began seeing balding areas through my hair on the top of my head. The thinning and recession seemed to accelerate the quickest between the ages of 19 and 21: my hairline became non-existent and during this time period, and my temples receded very quickly, as well. For about the last two years, however, the recession has seemingly slowed down considerably. Now to the present: About a month ago, I decided to go for an initial consultation for an HT, mainly out of curiousity, not really expecting to be interested in an HT afterward. There, first and foremost, the Dr. highly recommended that I begin Propecia and Minoxidil. He asked me about my expectations out of an HT, and I told him that all I really care about at this point is to have a natural-looking hairline, along with some rejuvinated temples. I told him that I would actually prefer to have a hairline that appeared to still be receding, just not as aggresively. As crazy as that sounds, I think my hairline looked its best around the age of 19 as opposed to my (even) younger days, although it was already receded some, as it gave me a more mature look (now I just look like a 23-year-old with a 55-year old's hair). I actually found two pictures (posted below) of Jude Law as an example of the hairline I would like to have. Keep in mind, I'm talking about the hairline itself, not the actual density of his hair (although that would be nice, too icon_smile.gif). Anyway, when we discussed all of this, he recommended 1700 grafts (1300 for the hairline and temples, and 400 for the middle of my head), or 1300 grafts at minimum if I had budget constraints, of which all would go toward the hairline and temples. As I do have budget constraints, 1300 is what I would go with. The Dr. told me I have a very strong donor area. This would be done via strip method, by the way. So I guess I have a few questions: 1. Do you think I am too young to be seriously considering an HT?; 2. Do you think my expectations for the hairline and temples are realistic?; 3. Is 1300 grafts enough to get the hairline I want? Again, I realize I more than likely would not have the density as Law has in those pictures, but I'm more concerned with the hairline itself. As you can see in my pics below, I keep my hair fairly short, anyway, and would more than likely continue to keep it about that length post-op.

Also, I began taking Propecia 5% topical and Minoxidil 5% topical about three weeks ago. I take the Propecia once a day every day, and the Minoxidil once a day every other day. I also take 2000mg of MSM powder, along with 300mcg of Biotin and 800 mcg of Folic Acid, and have taken all three of these daily for the past 2 1/2 years. I just bought fish oil today, as I have heard that helps, as well, and plan on beginning it tomorrow. As for shampoo, I use Head & Shoulders with 1% zinc. Any and all comments/info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi guys, I've been reading these boards for quite a while and it's been very informative and interesting! I've finally decided to post a topic of my own in order to get some of your opinions on my situation. First, a little background: My hairline very slowly began thinning and receding around the age of 17. By the time I was 18, I began seeing balding areas through my hair on the top of my head. The thinning and recession seemed to accelerate the quickest between the ages of 19 and 21: my hairline became non-existent and during this time period, and my temples receded very quickly, as well. For about the last two years, however, the recession has seemingly slowed down considerably. Now to the present: About a month ago, I decided to go for an initial consultation for an HT, mainly out of curiousity, not really expecting to be interested in an HT afterward. There, first and foremost, the Dr. highly recommended that I begin Propecia and Minoxidil. He asked me about my expectations out of an HT, and I told him that all I really care about at this point is to have a natural-looking hairline, along with some rejuvinated temples. I told him that I would actually prefer to have a hairline that appeared to still be receding, just not as aggresively. As crazy as that sounds, I think my hairline looked its best around the age of 19 as opposed to my (even) younger days, although it was already receded some, as it gave me a more mature look (now I just look like a 23-year-old with a 55-year old's hair). I actually found two pictures (posted below) of Jude Law as an example of the hairline I would like to have. Keep in mind, I'm talking about the hairline itself, not the actual density of his hair (although that would be nice, too icon_smile.gif). Anyway, when we discussed all of this, he recommended 1700 grafts (1300 for the hairline and temples, and 400 for the middle of my head), or 1300 grafts at minimum if I had budget constraints, of which all would go toward the hairline and temples. As I do have budget constraints, 1300 is what I would go with. The Dr. told me I have a very strong donor area. This would be done via strip method, by the way. So I guess I have a few questions: 1. Do you think I am too young to be seriously considering an HT?; 2. Do you think my expectations for the hairline and temples are realistic?; 3. Is 1300 grafts enough to get the hairline I want? Again, I realize I more than likely would not have the density as Law has in those pictures, but I'm more concerned with the hairline itself. As you can see in my pics below, I keep my hair fairly short, anyway, and would more than likely continue to keep it about that length post-op.

Also, I began taking Propecia 5% topical and Minoxidil 5% topical about three weeks ago. I take the Propecia once a day every day, and the Minoxidil once a day every other day. I also take 2000mg of MSM powder, along with 300mcg of Biotin and 800 mcg of Folic Acid, and have taken all three of these daily for the past 2 1/2 years. I just bought fish oil today, as I have heard that helps, as well, and plan on beginning it tomorrow. As for shampoo, I use Head & Shoulders with 1% zinc. Any and all comments/info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Make sure you get a few evaluations and choose wisely and research as well.I dont know which doctor you went for this recemmendation but 1300 in front sounds very short to me and 400 on top is no where near enough.Be careful about clinics that purposely give you fewer grafts than you need so you keep coming back for top ups,very dodgy!.I would get another opinion as its better to get it done in one hit!! I would say you need over 3000,

HT 2006/7

I understand you have budget constraint but, IMO, you will need at least 3000 grafts.

Since you only started Propecia 3 weeks ago, you may wait at least a year to see you have any regrowth and then plan HT accordingly. You will save more $ in the meantime. Another saving tips: ask your dr. for Proscar, which is exactly like Propecia. You can divide the pill in 4 and take 1/4 daily. You will save 75% of your medication cost.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I dont think waiting a year to see how propecia does is a good idea. Propecia works but not that good!

Well you never know. It did not work much for me, but I saw some great results from Propecia. Spex just posted some pics last week.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

whatever your doctor said about medication sounds good.... 1700 grafts are hardly sufficient to create a hairline..... unless there is a density of 45grafts/sqcm it will look fake and ur scalp would be visible....kinda weird looking....it may look worse than before.......if you go...go for a mega session....or simply start medication and start saving $$$$

Aww man your story depresses me.. I am 18 right now and from seeing your pics your hair actually looks EXACTLY like mine just 5 years progressed. I want an HT now but its obviously too early for that icon_frown.gif

Good luck with yours!

unless there is a density of 45grafts/sqcm it will look fake and ur scalp would be visible....kinda weird looking....

Indian_balding26:

I don't agree with this. 45 grafts/cm2 is a very good density for HT. You will not have a see through the scalp with this density. In fact, if grafts are added over this density, it will not change (not much) your hair appearance, the yield/growth rate will decrease and you will waste grafts that could be transferred to other bald areas...

You can check any pictures of patients of dr. Shapiro, Keene or Cooley. I believe none of them has density over 45 grafs/cm2 (maybe just a bit higher at the hairline because of single hair FU are used).

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

@@ Latinlotus,

that is exactly what i meant. That 45 grafts/cm2 gives an illusion of fullness, anything less than that would give a see thru look which is bad atleast to me, i would rather cover a small area which looks full than full head of hair which is very diffuse....

i hope i am clear! I was advising the OP to atleast go for 45 grafts/sq cm not less than that, definitely not more than that either(unless u have 20,000+ donors icon_biggrin.gif)