Answered questions from procedure with DR FELLER

As said most who replied to my last post regarding unshed and inactive hairs, I waited for Dr Feller to respond to the post. Perhaps he didn't catch that post. I also PMed him and emailed his website, but I never received an answer. Hopefully he will see this post since his name is in the subject. Here is a copy of that post:

"In the recent past, I posted questions on the black dots and hairs from the grafts that never fell out after 3.5 months. It is now 4 months, and decided to try something. I still have the blunt hairs that never grew, and they still slip out with a hook at the end where it goes into the scalp. I started grabbing those black dots with my nail and noticed that it changed from a black dot to a hair sprout. I got the tweezers, and pulled on it. It was like something out of a cartoon; the hair kept getting longer and longer until it came out of the scalp. The top and bottom of the hair was blunt; as if it was cut on both ends. There were quite a few that did this, all easily slipping out of the scalp while it kept getting longer. Obviously these are "dead" hairs, and I wonder what the deal is here?"

There is a new situaion involving an infection I had on one side of my head where grafts were placed when I first received the procedure. I had a white patch at the site of infecton which was actually a patch of pus that took a few days to heal. I was washing it with GraftCyte shampoo, which helped it heal quicker. Anyway, fast foward to today (4 months, 3 weeks later), and just in that spot there are no hairs sprouting at all. All that's there is a few blunt cut non active hairs. everywhere else that grafts were place are growing, albeit sparse. Did the infection damage the grafts?

have you called his office directly? from my understanding he and his staff are world class. you had your surgery with him and Im sure they would be more than willing to speak to you directly regarding your concerns.

I have not gone through with a ht yet, so I can only imagine how difficult the waiting game must be. Im a VERY impatient person myself; that being said it is still really early. Im sure that you will be very happy in another few months. I would TRY not to focus on it too much for now. Easier said than done. It must be very difficult to wait. I can only imagine.

Call him again and PM Spex--- you should be hearing back from Dr. Feller by now, especially b/c you are a patient.

However, sometimes things happen and you might need to pick up the phone and call.

I am sure he will take of you.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Spex.

John, you should not be pulling anything out of your scalp, so stop that immediately. What seems like an inconsequential hair pull to you is actually very traumatic to the follicle.

Removing hairs with tweezers and inspecting them is not routine for hair transplantation and any observation you make based on the look of these hairs has no bearing on the future growth of the transplants.

The areas you referred to are more than likely NOT infected. Rather, at 3 months the hairs begin to grow into the new area of skin and the skin can become IRRITATED. Infection an irritation look the same at this point, but since the surgery was preformed 3 months prior (or more) the chances of infection are virtually zero.

However, if you constantly touch these area with your fingers then you can initiate an infection.

Stop focusing that closely on your hair and leave it alone. It knows what to do and doesn't need help or inspection.

If you are very concerned then call Marcia and make an appointment for a follow up.

Dr. Feller

But the area that I was describing isnt infected now. It was infected a few days after the procedure, and i'm sure it was infected because there was pus involved. Now over 4 months later, the only area thats smooth is that area. All other areas are sprouting hair.

John, If you're that worried you really should go see the doc. But even if it was infected there's absolutely nothing you can do about it now, so you need to stop worrying so much. Also, your growth looks exactly where it should be right now. And remember, even at 8-9 months you'll still be seeing big changes in your hair. You need to give it 1 year before you see final results.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com