Age that Crown stops thinning

To all docs, Approx at what age (with a normal MPB patients) does the crown stop loosing hair? I do not want to get crown work until my progression has reached the limit. The last thing I want is crown work and 5 years from now have an "8 ball" effect-- ring aroung the rosy!

Thanks for your insights from clinical experience.

To all docs, Approx at what age (with a normal MPB patients) does the crown stop loosing hair? I do not want to get crown work until my progression has reached the limit. The last thing I want is crown work and 5 years from now have an "8 ball" effect-- ring aroung the rosy!

Thanks for your insights from clinical experience.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no exact age were we can safetly say a person will not lose any more hair in the crown region. Many hair restoration physicians feel that the majority of a persons hair loss will have occured by age 60. That does not mean that nobody can lose hair after that age. It is important to use your family history if possible to try and help establish a game plan. Also using preventative products such as Propecia may also be of benefit. Another possible approach would be to only transplant the anterior (front) portion of the crown. By doing this you can comb the hair back and get additional coverage over the rear portion of the crown and if further hair loss occurs it will just create a larger oval or round spot.

( Sort of a little built in insurance policy)Always make sure you are happy with the hairline and frontal area of your hair before committing to the crown.

I would agree with Dr Charles. It is amazing and somewhat disconcerting to see men continue to bald even into old age. In fact soem men will lose hair from the nape of the neck and lose hair in an upward direction.

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians