Head size and hair restoration.

Hello folks,

I have been leeching this forum on and off for 4 years now. I wish I had had the foresight to act then. Here goes my story.

I am an Indian living in the USA. I noticed my hairline receding at the age of 18. I knew it to be my genetic curse, since my maternal grandfather is a NW6. His sons (my uncles) are NW6 too, although all their sons have a head full of hair. On my father's side, all the males in my father's family have a head full of hair, even at the age of 60. My own brother, who is a few years elder to me, has his hair intact. It's just me and my mother's sister's sons that have lost their hair.

I have tried simple remedies (coconut oil, shampoo, clean comb, diet etc.) since then, but not consistently, to stop my hairloss. All attempts were futile. The hairline became worse around the age of 23. Prior to that, when people judged me to be older than I really was, I would attribute that to my physique (athletic and well built by Indian male standards).

Around the age of 23, I became seriously bothered by the hairloss. At times, I would give it serious thought but for the most part did not act. I suppose I was not very mature then. Around the age of 25, I experienced some rough time in my personal and professional lives. The resulting stress worsened the hairloss but I did not have the time or mentality to deal with it then. I tried Propecia for 6 months but was too depressed and alone to deal with hairloss and hence stopped taking it. Taking Propecia during bedtime would be the daily reminder about my hairloss and that would depress me even further. Eventually, I stopped Propecia and had the "do not care" attitude. Big mistake!!

Now, I am 31 and my wedding is next month. My fiance understands my sensitivity towards hairloss and has always assured me that she does not care about my hair. However, I am looking down the lane and wondering if our kids would be bothered by our (parents') physical appearance. I suppose I am the most aggressive one among my friends' circle and rarely have my friends made 'bald' jokes in my presence. However, the mirror and camera were not as kind to me. I avoid these as much as I can.

Now, I am worried about the wedding. I, as the groom, would receive a lot of attention. Even though it is too late to worry about the wedding part, I definitely do not wish my kids to be embarrassed about my hairloss in the future. Hence, my initiative to consider the transplant option seriously now.

Coming to my question, my cranium (skull) is larger than usual and I am worried that might affect the transplant. The cranium is large enough that my scalp feels tight and the smallest acne/boil on my scalp will lead to a headache. With such a tight scalp, will the donor region scar heal well? Any experience/advise is appreciated.

I am off to look at some tuxedo rentals for the reception now but will get back here later.

Hello folks,

I have been leeching this forum on and off for 4 years now. I wish I had had the foresight to act then. Here goes my story.

I am an Indian living in the USA. I noticed my hairline receding at the age of 18. I knew it to be my genetic curse, since my maternal grandfather is a NW6. His sons (my uncles) are NW6 too, although all their sons have a head full of hair. On my father's side, all the males in my father's family have a head full of hair, even at the age of 60. My own brother, who is a few years elder to me, has his hair intact. It's just me and my mother's sister's sons that have lost their hair.

I have tried simple remedies (coconut oil, shampoo, clean comb, diet etc.) since then, but not consistently, to stop my hairloss. All attempts were futile. The hairline became worse around the age of 23. Prior to that, when people judged me to be older than I really was, I would attribute that to my physique (athletic and well built by Indian male standards).

Around the age of 23, I became seriously bothered by the hairloss. At times, I would give it serious thought but for the most part did not act. I suppose I was not very mature then. Around the age of 25, I experienced some rough time in my personal and professional lives. The resulting stress worsened the hairloss but I did not have the time or mentality to deal with it then. I tried Propecia for 6 months but was too depressed and alone to deal with hairloss and hence stopped taking it. Taking Propecia during bedtime would be the daily reminder about my hairloss and that would depress me even further. Eventually, I stopped Propecia and had the "do not care" attitude. Big mistake!!

Now, I am 31 and my wedding is next month. My fiance understands my sensitivity towards hairloss and has always assured me that she does not care about my hair. However, I am looking down the lane and wondering if our kids would be bothered by our (parents') physical appearance. I suppose I am the most aggressive one among my friends' circle and rarely have my friends made 'bald' jokes in my presence. However, the mirror and camera were not as kind to me. I avoid these as much as I can.

Now, I am worried about the wedding. I, as the groom, would receive a lot of attention. Even though it is too late to worry about the wedding part, I definitely do not wish my kids to be embarrassed about my hairloss in the future. Hence, my initiative to consider the transplant option seriously now.

Coming to my question, my cranium (skull) is larger than usual and I am worried that might affect the transplant. The cranium is large enough that my scalp feels tight and the smallest acne/boil on my scalp will lead to a headache. With such a tight scalp, will the donor region scar heal well? Any experience/advise is appreciated.

I am off to look at some tuxedo rentals for the reception now but will get back here later.

The biggest thing your cranial magnificence will yield is that, in theory, you'll need more grafts to cover such an impressive plot of real estate.

If your scalp is tight, the biggest drawback will be a more limited harvesting ability in a single session; but, if you do "scalp exercises" (search Jotronic/scalp exercises on YouTube), this can have great impact on how many grafts you can get.

You're planning on getting a HT sometime after your wedding, I assume? How extensive is your loss? What NW would you say you are?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Guest wanthairs

hey

go to you tube and search for joetronic scalp excersises. Very important you do this and loosen yoru scalp for a transplant to have better success.....

Or go to hasson and wong website, you will see it there. I had a huge tight scalp too and was able to loosen it.....

If she is marrying you, she is most likely being honest in saying that she does not care about your hair loss. What will affect her is how this affects you. I think loss of confidence, happiness, zest for life will cause a spouse to fall out of love with someone, quicker than if you just loose your hair but nothing else. So stay confident, at least be able to project confidence. Many 'confident' people are just as insecure as anyone else in the inside, they are just better at acting. also, kids do not care. I know many bald dads who were loved as much if not more by their kids than hairy dads...for example.

i do understand avoiding the mirror and camera. I used to be vain and stare in the mirror for hours it seems fixing that, concealing that zit....now I avoid them. that is a sign that perhaps a hair transplant is a good thing for you, if you are a candidate.

Thanks for the info on additional number of grafts for larger area and on scalp exercises. Good point about kids loving bald dads.

I suppose I would be consider a NW3/NW4. Will create a blog with pictures soon.

Another silly question. What is the effect of grey hairs from the donor region? Does the surgeon usually exclude them from transplantation? Thinking about it, I'll take grey hair over no hair!!

Thanatopsis is correct again. You will need more grafts. Just like covering a large yard takes more trees than a townhouse back patio. If you have enough trees you can cover anything. But, you may only have enough trees to put out by the curb (hairline) and front yard, not the backyard too...

Your wife probably will love you with or without hair equally. Do hair, or any cosmetic surgery, for YOU, not others.

I recently started shaving my head completely. I can't tell you how many people that I know have told me that I look younger. Although my wife didn't like it at first, she is now shaving my head and I may not grow it out next year.

That may be a bad thing for someone in my line of work to say, but I think OTHER people worry less about your hair than you think.

Again, do any cosmetic surgery for You, not what you think others would want you to do.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I recently started shaving my head completely.

Any plans of updating your avatar?? icon_wink.gif

Did you have HT surgery before and if so, how do people react to seeing your scar now,(if you do shave down to the skin??)

take care...

When I was growing up I never really cared that my dad was bald. Sometimes I made fun of it with friends, but it wasn't because I was embarrassed. It was playful joking.

One day, when I was 14, I saw my dad and my mother's dad together (both are bald) and suddenly realized that I was most likely going to be bald too one day. I was kind of upset for a week and then found other things to worry about. But never before that.