Dr. Paul Shapiro, 2528 FU Front Half, 6 month Follow Up visit

This 43 year old male came in for a 6 month follow up exam. He was a good candidate for a 3,000 + Follicular Unit case, but unfortunately he had poor donor of 70 FU sq.cm and a tight scalp. I removed a strip that was 28.5 cm long. I first took out 7.5 cm of a 1.4 cm wide strip in the middle and then took out 21 cm at the decreased width of 1.2 cm wide. I focused on the front half of his scalp knowing that I would not get 3,000 FU.

The total yield was 2528 FU. The hair count was as follows:

1 hair FU 754 Hairs 754

2 hair FU 1277 Hairs 2454

3 hair FU 448 Hairs 1344

4 hair FU 99 Hairs 396

Total Hair 2528 Total Hairs 4948

I did not take any side view photos before the surgery so there are no before and after side comparisons. I also did not take any immediate post op photos but he did let me shave the front ?? of his scalp.

PRE-OP PHOTOS

Slide4-2.jpg

AREA TO TRANSPLANT

Slide6-1.jpg

PRE-OP/6 MONTH POST-OP COMPAIRSONS

Slide7-1.jpg

Slide8-1.jpg

6 MONTH POST OP CLOSE UP OF CENTRAL CORE

Slide11.jpg

6 MONTH POST-OP HAIRLINE AND CLOSE UP

Slide12.jpg

Slide13.jpg

DONOR SCAR 6 MONTHS POST-OP

Slide15.jpg

Dr. Paul,

The work looks excellent. I'm really impressed with the results of this case along with the one presented by Janna the other day as both patients were diffuse thinners which from my understanding can result in transection if one is not extremely careful of the surrounding hairs. Clearly, your technique is yielding great results!

M&M

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by M&M:

Dr. Paul,

The work looks excellent. I'm really impressed with the results of this case along with the one presented by Janna the other day as both patients were diffuse thinners which from my understanding can result in transection if one is not extremely careful of the surrounding hairs. Clearly, your technique is yielding great results!

M&M

M$M

Thank you for the positive comments. In this case I did cut the hair short in order to be able to go between the hairs and avoid transection. That is one of the advantages of cutting the hair short.

Dr. Paul

Dr. Paul Shapiro,

Great write up and very nice results thus far...

The density in the hairline is nice yet transitions very well with the rest of the hair.

For this patient, how did you determine the placement of the grafts while maximizing the density in the front? I hope my question makes sense.

Thank you,