Hair shafts with their roots in my scabs!!

Hi guys,

I am 10 days post up and tomorrow Monday is my staples removal day! What a release!!

I have a quick question: On day 7 post up, when I was working on my scabs in the shower using my fingertips (with shampoo) and not my nails, I noticed 2 transplanted hair shafts with their roots (I don't know how to describe them but they are dark spots like a dot at the end of each hair) falling off with my scabs. (No bleeding thought) Did I just lose 2 hair follicles? I know hair shafts are supposed to shed and it's normal to see them with the scabs, but since they came off with the root (black thick dot spot the end of the hair), it worries me that I might have lost another 2 grafts!!

What do you guys think?

3664 Grafts with Dr. Hasson - Oct. 5th, 2007

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hi guys,

I am 10 days post up and tomorrow Monday is my staples removal day! What a release!!

I have a quick question: On day 7 post up, when I was working on my scabs in the shower using my fingertips (with shampoo) and not my nails, I noticed 2 transplanted hair shafts with their roots (I don't know how to describe them but they are dark spots like a dot at the end of each hair) falling off with my scabs. (No bleeding thought) Did I just lose 2 hair follicles? I know hair shafts are supposed to shed and it's normal to see them with the scabs, but since they came off with the root (black thick dot spot the end of the hair), it worries me that I might have lost another 2 grafts!!

What do you guys think?

My Hair Loss Weblog

Congragulations! That will be nice to have your staples removed. Im sure that is a big relief and you will be well on your way to begin healing. Im sorry I dont have any usefull information regarding the 2 hsirs you lost. Im sure your doctor will inform you tomorrow. Keep us posted on your healing progress. Best of luck.

Thanks ng2gb. I am going to have my local doctor remove the staples.

No one knows the answer to my concern? I mean how is the shedding after the HT. Just the hair or hair with its root or hair papilla? If you lose the root or hair Papilla, does that mean you lost the graft at day 7 post op?

Thanks.

Kam

My Hair Loss Weblog

KamCal,

at 7 days post op the grafts are very secure; if you lost a graft you would know it; it would bleed quite a bit; I think the "black thick dot spot" you are refering to is just part of the scab. I think you are OK; the follicle is longer; I would say you are fine

KamCal,

Your concerns are quite normal as is your experience with the hair shaft and scab. After 5 days, your grafts are pretty solid and what you are seeing is the actual transplanted hair that is shed and NOT the actual graft itself. If a graft popped out, you would see not only the scab but the entire graft (surrounding tissue and follicle) that was transplanted. Relax and look forward to some good growth.

Thanks dhoose75 and Not So Bad. I just got 85 freaking staples out of my head!!! The staples didn't hurt that bad if there was no hair stuck with them; however, sometimes there were a few hairs stuck under the staples. Thoese HURT when you pull them out. No bleeding at all. I took a long shower(about 45 min), however, before removing them. Now it's all over. 3664 grafts with Dr. Hasson of H&W and a long waiting time to see the result. I will keep you guys posted.

My Hair Loss Weblog

No, I believe what you lost were just the hairs not the follicle. The follicle is still under the skin and will push out new hair in about three to four months.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts