13 months on propecia and no results.

Ole81

Hi Guys,

I have been on Propecia for 13 months and I haven't seen any results. I was probably NW 2 when I started Propecia and now I am a NW 4a with major thinning throughout my scalp.

A month after starting propecia I began shedding alot of hair which I heard was normal but none of the shedded hair has returned. Do you guys think I should stop taking Propecia?

Yeah, I've been on official Propecia for 4-5 months (generic for 2 or 3 before that) and I seem to be heading down the same road. Is there a point where one can be relatively sure it's not helping or is it just this infuriating "it may be helping and you don't even know you could be a cueball right now without it" kind of stuff?

This is an interesting topic because there are a lot of folks that recommend starting propecia and stay on it for the rest of their lives.

I know doctors recommend being on it for at least 1 year to see results

In my opinion results = 1 of 2 things

1. hair growth because of propecia

2. hair maintanence

I decided to do a test back in 2006 where I took the medication for 1 year because I saw a recession in my hairline. I did notice shedding, but again that is normal. I personally did not see any benefit from the drug so I decided to stop.

After a lot of research, I was a bit worried after stopping the drug because I thought I would "lose" all the hair that benefited from the drug.

In my case, I didnt lose anything...

I have now been off Finasteride for 2-3 Years and my hair looks pretty much the same as it did back in 2007.

With that said, most will say take the drug, keep what you got and get a HT, I think this is a poor way of dealing with the issue because propecia in 7 years will lose it's effect since your body will get used to the drug, and who knows what the long term effects are with the drug (most of you will say, it's fine right? well I want to meet a patient that has been on propecia/finasteride for 55-60 years to come talk to me icon_wink.gif...then he himself can prove to me it's a safe drug)

I personally would like to KNOW exactly what my natural hair looks coming into a HT WITHOUT Drugs.

Hypothetically, if a person were to get a HT because he's currently a NW3, but lets say we can tell the future and this person would be at worse a NW4. Why not just let the HT fix all the issues, and forget about Finasteride?

One HT at roughly 4000 grafts should do the trick with a NW4.

I guess I may be unrealistic by assuming that the person would stop at NW4, hairloss is progressive and if a guy were a NW3, he will most indefinitely be a NW6, correct?

It's like saying, once the trains off, it's going to reach it's destination which is a NW7

So while I may be unrealistic with my assumption of stopping at a NW4, with MPB, maybe I should go ahead and assume I will be a NW7 by the time I'm 65 (ps. I'm currently 28)

Originally posted by xxy:

That's a lot of speculation.

I guess it comes down to whether you think it's better to be safe than sorry. (On either side of the fence.)

haha, yes it is, but you kind of have to be since no one here can tell the future.

it's interesting though that there are so many folks here willing to take dutasteride while every doctor I've talked to does not recommend this. Some of you guys are truly risk takers icon_wink.gif

it's interesting though that there are so many folks here willing to take dutasteride while every doctor I've talked to does not recommend this. Some of you guys are truly risk takers

Everyone here is a risk taker azn_guy_001.

From the moment you decide to start finasteride and minoxidil and you have at the back of your mind, that one day you'll be undergoing surgery to "fix" your head.....

I've tried fluridil/flutamide too...

take care...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I guess I have to make the tough decision of whether to stop using Propecia or keep using it and hope that some of the shedded hair returns.