Going Bald on the crown...

Golden10

I am only 30 and I am in the process of going bald on the crown of my head. I went to Bosley and they don't want to do anything yet, because they are not sure if I will start to lose hair in the front. They can only use so much of my donor hair and they want to leave that in-case I need it for the front. People really can't notice that I am going bald, because I do a good job of hiding it. I am on propecia as of right now and have been for overa year now.

I am wondering if anybody knows what I could do about this? Is there a different process than hair restoration just to cover my crown of my head? I am really down about this and insecure about it. Thanks for any advice!

Would Hair Club for Men work just for the mean time? How exactly does that work and would it be worth it?

Thanks for any help!

I am only 30 and I am in the process of going bald on the crown of my head. I went to Bosley and they don't want to do anything yet, because they are not sure if I will start to lose hair in the front. They can only use so much of my donor hair and they want to leave that in-case I need it for the front. People really can't notice that I am going bald, because I do a good job of hiding it. I am on propecia as of right now and have been for overa year now.

I am wondering if anybody knows what I could do about this? Is there a different process than hair restoration just to cover my crown of my head? I am really down about this and insecure about it. Thanks for any advice!

Would Hair Club for Men work just for the mean time? How exactly does that work and would it be worth it?

Thanks for any help!

Hi Golden if you're 30 and only have started the process of going bald in your crown I would say that you are in a pretty good position. The first thing I would do in the meantime is to get on the meds. At least Propecia and for Maximum possibility of regrowth add in Minoxidil (Rogaine) to your regime - they are the only 2 meds that have been FDA approved for hairloss. Note the meds are a life sentence, you will need to stay on the meds if you want to retain any hair that they have helped you keep or regrown.

I am also using Nizoral 2% shampoo which is known to reduce some scalp DHT which also might help.

Now you only want the opinions from the best doctors, I would recommend that Ron Shapiro from the Shapiro Medical Group be one of them (http://www.shapiromedical.com), I can vouch that he really has your longterm interests at heart.

The only concern I have is that if Bosley is even turning you down for a HT that should be raising some alarm bells - as they are not know for turning down patients even younger than 20.

Now surgeons do not generally want to touch your crown because for the best cosmetic effect, your limited no of donor grafts is best used in your hairline and midscalp area.

Hope this helps and good luck, let us know what you find out.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Do some consulting with some of the reputable Doc's mentioned on this site. It is odd Bosley would turn you down since they've proven to be money hungry, get-you-in-the-HT chair types for a long time. Get some professional opinions.

At 30, I would think you may have established a balding pattern that would be far along enough for a good Doc to determine donor hair availability. I was exactly like you, most of my loss in the crown which I started to experience very slowly from age 23. I had my first HT at age 38.

I'd shy away from hair club. It may work for some but of all the pics I've seen from them I could always pretty much tell the guy was wearing a piece. I even had a close friend try them. He spent $1,500 for the rug, was dissatisfied and I don't believe they refunded a dime to him. It looked terrible and I had no trouble spotting it in the hairline and the ridge on the back of the head where it joined his native hair. Too bad, too, because my friend has great donor hair for a HT.....he just doesn't want to do it for some reason and he hates being bald.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.