HT With Dr. Ron Shaipro. Need Opinions

I have an HT scheduled with Dr. Ron Shapiro for my frontal and side temples. I have been advised for 2000 - 2500 grafts. My photos are attached along. Please give me your valuable opinions in this regards. Are the no. of grafts suggested valid?

IMG_0060.JPG.dca0718ab9dd12fc66653fb75c0dffac.JPG

I have an HT scheduled with Dr. Ron Shapiro for my frontal and side temples. I have been advised for 2000 - 2500 grafts. My photos are attached along. Please give me your valuable opinions in this regards. Are the no. of grafts suggested valid?

Originally posted by Jasjeet:

Dr. Ron Shapiro is held in high regards on these forums...I'm pretty positive that his word is stronger than anyone else's in terms of how to proceed with your operation.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by dhuge67:

Dr. Ron Shapiro is held in high regards on these forums...I'm pretty positive that his word is stronger than anyone else's in terms of how to proceed with your operation.

Exactly..

I have been communicating with Dr. Shapiro's office as well and they seem very professional & competent.

From everything I have read, he is held in very high esteem within the HT community.

Did the Dr. see you for a personal consult ? When is the HT ? Keep us updated on your results.

Having benefitted from a HT with Ron Shapiro I can tell you from experience that him and Matt Zupan will tell you exactly how many grafts you will need to achieve your desired results. In my case they also told me what would be possible for me in future with my limited donor supply had I progressed to a NW5/NW6 down the road. They really do have your long term intersts at heart.

In the end I would take Ron Shapiro's advice over anyone elses.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

My HT is on the 15th August, next month, and I had a phone consultation with Matt at Shapiro Medical.

Iam a Sikh, I always keep my head covered. I have two concerns...

1. I got a consultation done from another doctor, before consulting with Dr. Shapiro. I was told, since iam bald from the side temples, this will deplete my donor strip area. One of my side photos is attached.

2. Once HT is done is, will I be able to cover it with a bandana, until Iam able to start tying a turban again.

Anyone?

IMG_0061.JPG.1055c0326a43a4ae02fe39e0b63d5048.JPG

Hi Jasjeet,

Because you have long hair concealing the donor area will not be a problem. The only place you will have to worry about concealing is the recipient area (i.e. where you want to place the grafts). It will be a lot shorter than your existing hair so unless you choose to use your long hair to cover the area it will be noticeable.

You have to be very careful with the grafts up to 3-5 days. They generally recommend that you wear a loose fitting hat when going outside during this time. The grafts are properly seated by the 10-12 day mark. After that Im sure after that it will be ok to wear a turban - Although not having ever worn one Im not sure how tight it is or how much pressure it will be putting on your grafts.

I imagine a bandana will be ok as well if the tight part of the bandana is below the recipient area, since some doctors get their patients to wear a tight bandage around their forehead immdiately after their HT to stop swelling around the eyes. So personally I can't see it being a problem but follow it up with Matt to see what he thinks.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I had 2500 graphs with Shapiro and i was not happy with the density, i think he is a great Dr. and person, do yourself a HUGE favor and have a consultation with Jotronic and Dr. Hasson and then make your decision, 2500 graphs is great for someone like Troy who has an outline and just needed to fill in, but even Troy has said he might go back for more, you need to completely rebuild the front area and sides, 2500 graphs IMO no way, you look like a great candidate for one and done, dont mess around just get it done, Good luck

find out how much surface you are covering and what cm2 can be accomplished in one session, then do the math and it will give you a idea of what you need for grafts. Also doing this will help you understand what you can expect as a end result. I think to have a successfull HT you need to understand what can be accomplished and what to expect going into it.

Originally posted by Jasjeet:

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions. For now I'll stick with Dr. Shapiro, and see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcomes.

Jasjeet,

You will feel well informed after your consultation with Matt @ Shapiro. As for crossing your fingers, you simply won't need to if you elect to go with Dr. Ron Shapiro. He is excellent (based on what I have seen on this forum and experienced myself a little over two months ago).

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jasjeet,

I just read your posting. I've only recently became a member. I'll see you for your surgery with Dr. Shapiro. You will feel so completely relaxed and secure once you meet with Dr. Shapiro the morning of your surgery. He's very down to earth and has your best interest. The number of grafts are not written in stone. Dr. Shapiro may opt to do more or less depending on his expertise. Feel free to email me with any concerns. I will be taking care of your post-operative concerns as well.