Question about Propecia shedding

andy22

Hey guys,

I recently posted that I'm 21 and noticed a pretty receding hairline so I began taking Propecia.

Well, I've been on it for 2 months and noticed what seems to be my crown looking more visible and thinner. I can't recall noticing this before, and it seems as though I have been shedding quite a bit for the past 1-2 months, so my question is: can shedding be the cause of the apparent thinning on my crown? I know many posts on this site have spoken about shedding but not very specific to my situation. Additionally, can this shedding (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's being caused by Propecia, and not naturally) be a good thing? This should indicate that my hair is responding to the propecia, correct?

I appreciate any feedback, and, as I've said you guys have really helped me out a lot (More than you can imagine). You can understand how difficult it is for younger guys like myself to have to deal with the beginnings of balding...

andy22,

Welcome to our community.

I can confirm for sure that shedding can be normal for the first 3 months when on Propecia. If the loss you are experiencing is indeed shedding, this is an indiciation that the medication is working. It is advisable to stay on finasteride for at least 1 year before making a final conclusion as to whether or not it's working for you. If I were you, I'd consider taking bi-monthly or quarterly pictures of your thinning areas while on the medication and chart your progress that way.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Just checking back in. Work has kept me pretty busy and away from the boards. A lot of reading to catch up. I am now five weeks out and getting the itching, a few pimples, which as I've read is a good thing and some shedding/ thinning/shock that is driving me crazy.

A number of people talk about taking Propecia/finesteride every other day. I've noticed a bit of decrease in libido but hanging in there, no pun intended, hoping that will come back with adjustment. I've been staying on the 1.25 mg per day finesteride but have considered backing it off to every other. What are the pluses and minuses of this? If I decide to do it, should I supplement it? Another thought I had, since finesteride is used for enlarging prostates at 5 mgs a day, is there any indication that it might help us at a smaller dose?

AY-

I started taking Finasteride (Proscar quartered) every other day almost 1 1/2 years ago at the advice of Dr. Wong who said it inhibits DHT for a 72 hour period so no need for a daily dose. It has proven effective for me. So, yes, I believe you can take it EOD and do fine. However, I'd really get advice from your HT doc on this. I was NW 5 and really am just using it to maintain on the back and sides........if you're younger, there MAY be benefit to staying with it daily.

Fin is used to help an enlarged prostate............in other words keep it from enlarging, not help it enlarge. Just FYI.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

HB,

THanks for the input. Yea, I know finesteride helps to keep it from enlarging - sorry for the confusion on that.

My thought was, is there a side benefit to taking it even at a lower dose. You hear those commercials that say something like 50% of men over 50 have an enlarged prostate. I thought perhaps there was a chance that even at these lower doses, if you were someone that might have a prostate prone to increasing in size, the finesteride might help. Probably wishful thinking since it is only a quarter of what they prescribe but just a thought.

• 4 months later...