butchered

john36

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John36,

Though I understand you are upset due to a poor hair transplant experience, your judgement is clearly clouded.

I did not hide your post, I simply moved your photo album to its appropriate location. I've even sent you a private message about it so you didn't think I removed your post.

Read my Public Message To You Here.

You apear to be in a legal crusade against Dr. Weiss and are attempting to draw other unrelated doctors in with you. I'm not sure why you think other doctors not involved with your surgery should help you bring legal action against your first doctor.

Instead of pursuing revenge by legal discourse, why don't you seek repair work and get your life back?

Bill

Any chance we can edit the title to butchered unless butched is really what John means.

John I think many people have compassion and empathy towards your case. If we can help in any way let us know. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

yes edit my spelling mistakes icon_smile.gif.No problem Bill.

hey I also invited yougsuccess to come back and extended my handshake of peace to him icon_smile.gif.He is good with english gramar he corrected gramaticly my insult to him.He wants to be bad but is just a pappy icon_smile.gif

John,

I've made the change as you requested.

I'm glad we understand each other now.

I do hope however, that you focus your attention on getting repaired in order to get your life back. I think this would be far more productive than attempting to recruit other physicians to join you on a legal crusade.

Revenge is an ugly thing. You'll end up losing yourself in it.

Bill

Originally posted by john36:

yes edit my spelling mistakes icon_smile.gif.No problem Bill.

hey I also invited yougsuccess to come back and extended my handshake of peace to him icon_smile.gif.He is good with english gramar he corrected gramaticly my insult to him.He wants to be bad but is just a pappy icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, handshake accepted. Your scarring is bad, but not so profound that another doctor couldn't help you repair it. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, but also invest some of your time in repair options. There is hope.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

John36,

Though I understand you are upset due to a poor hair transplant experience, your judgement is clearly clouded.

You apear to be in a legal crusade against Dr. Weiss and are attempting to draw other unrelated doctors in with you. I'm not sure why you think other doctors not involved with your surgery should help you bring legal action against your first doctor.

Instead of pursuing revenge by legal discourse, why don't you seek repair work and get your life back?

Bill

Bill,

IF (and I say if because I was not in the room when these parties discussed the procedure)he was mislead and not given adequate information to make informed consent, I would be on a legal crusade, too.

This guy isn't somebody who went looking for a "slip and fall", this guy (again assuming his version is accurate; we have to give all parties the benefit of the doubt) had a botched transplant surgery.

I'm neither a doctor or a lawyer (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night) but in my mind the question becomes whether he received the standard of care.

I can see why he'd want to seek the advice of another doctor.

That said, his results could even be the result of a competent surgeon; cosmetic surgery is not guaranteed. But the circumstances which seem to surround the consult seem suspect, IMO.

I pray all parties get treated fair;y.

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo

John,

I would say I would be someone that understands your situation perhaps better than anyone. My hair transplant story goes back the span of about 15 years. I am 38 now. I could honestly say that I felt disfigured and depressed beyond belief. This in itself would generate the kind of anger to lash out against anyone remotely associated with hair transplant surgery. For me a temporary solution was wearing a hair piece just so I wouldn't feel like a freak with these huge holes in my forehead. I have now just past the final hurdle of my hair transplant race and am waiting for the new transplants to grow in. Just to give you an idea, my quest has taken me to 3 hair transplant surgeons and one plastic surgeon. As far as money that i have spent including the hair pieces etc. I have spent over $100,000 in the past 15 years. Many would say i would be the first to join in your bashing of the industry but you know what just like the hair transplant industry the plastic surgery industry is just as bad. You have to realize that you are talking about your head which is the most visible part of your body. Taking this into consideration you must be careful beyond to make sure that everything has been checked rechecked and then checked some more. I would say for me the best thing that could have happend is joining this forum. This really helped me to get exposure to people with similar problems and look for solutions. Just based on personal experience i would say the key to your problem right now is getting yourself fixed. I assure you you have less damage than i had and i am very hopeful that my results will be very pleasing to me. I will post a very extensive bio and photo album within the next few months when i see most of the new hair growing back. I believe my photos will give everyone out there hope. There are some good doctors out there. I have complete confidence that they can make you better again just like they did for me. If you want to pm me feel free to do so and i will send you a few pics just to give you an idea of what i was working with. Good luck my friend.

John

Thanks for the PM. I certainly understand why you are so pissed off, and you should certainly take any and all possible legal action against the Dr. who did the surgery to see if you can find any financial relief, because it does seem like you will have to incur further expense to get this situation sorted. I'm certainly no expert and hope for your sake the things others in this forum are saying about "repair" are true, so you can get your head fixed so as to make you satisfied.

I just re-read your initial post and I really do have to question why you went forward with this surgeon. when you say "you had a 5-minute consult and then moved forward", why would a 5-minute consult be enough for you to approve such a major decision? Sorry, but this does not seem like a reasonable or rational state of mind. It seems like you went into this thing wanting to hear something, you heard it and you jumped in (IE Read, Fire, Aim). Also, unless I missed something I'm not seeing that prior to choosing Dr. Weiss, you visited other doctors. Lastly, I don't see you saying that prior to surgery you requested to see other patients (to verify this Dr.'s statement of providing quality work).

It seems that you have spent more time looking into all this AFTER the surgery. Perhaps I'm wrong, but reading your post this is what I interpret.

I expect this post will probably make you mad because it would seem that I am blaming you...and I do admit that based on what I have read, I do think you are part to blame because it does seem that prior to making your decision you did not perform due diligence on this surgeon and any other options you may have had.

I do find your post and your story very helpful to any of us who are considering surgery as a way to combat hair loss, in that (a) you are showing us all that (unfortunately) there are still MANY Dr's who, despite a severe lack of skill at performing this surgery, are out there "selling" patients on abilities they don't actually have and as such we must ALL do extensive research on all Dr's (b) All of us must think carefully about whether or not surgery is the road/option we want to "buy into" because it is a very serious decision that should not be taken likely © there is no such thing as doing too much due-dilligence. Asking questions, lots of pointed in depth questions to each Dr. one visits is a must, and if the Dr's don't like the questions then walk out and go to the next Dr.

I genuinely hope you get a legal settlement that is gratifying to you, and also hope you get your head fixed to a point where you are happy and this is all behind you.

John. I hear what you are saying and I believe many of us are truly disappointed to learn that you had an experience that ultimately made the situation worse (and of course your intent was to make it better).

Your situation is a lesson to all of us who are considering getting a surgical procedure. Everyone needs to remember that on the whole, medicine/surgery is first and foremost a business, and the buyer needs to do their homework before they "buy" the service. I believe this goes for anything as serious to heart surgery OR something elective like hair transplants. Perhaps I'm simply a pessimist at heart (or perhaps just a realist) but I always expect that (a) people are just people, whether a Dr. or a janitor, I'm really not all that impressed by them until they prove to me they are something special. People always make empty claims and promises and I always challenge when someone makes a claim to me (whether personally or professionally) (b) I am my own judge and jury, which puts a TON of responsibility on me to learn all the facts to then make a verdict. Sometimes this is a painful way to live life because I can come across as argumentative or a "know it all", but in the end I trust myself more then I trust others (because I have no reason to cheat myself).

While baldness effects all of us from a vanity and insecurity level, we have to not make the decision to move forward because Dr's (or their techs) tell us what we want to hear. If you do this you become prey. In this world, us bald guys have the power....if these Dr's cannot prove that they are capable of giving us what we want, then just be bald.....isn't it better to be bald VS. being butchered?

John, again I sincerely hope you get your cosmetic appearance fixed so this is behind you and you can focus on more important things in life

Cute kid. I want to give my opinion I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be. I have met many patients and seen alot of repairs. I assist Italian patient that need translation when I am able to (I am a real estate agent). Most of the patients that I have translated for have come to be repaired. Some don't look to bad while others look worse than you. My points is that there is hope. Your grafts at the front do not look too low, your donor area looks good and your scar looks like it is in a safe zone to be revisted. Having said this, this is my opinion so I may be wrong.

I understand your frustation and hope you are able to go to court and win your case. I dont think any amount of money will make up for the pain it sounds like you have been through. Even if everything ended up in the positive you will still need to be repaired unless you are able to deal with the current situation. Anyways I wish you the best...........

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

John, I want to just say that I am very sympathetic regarding your situation. However, when you first came on this board, you were extremely pessimistic...and aggressive...towands the ENTIRE HT industry, as a whole. I can't even imagine what you are going through. Well, actually, I can. I actually went to a plastic surgeon back in the late 80's because I was receeding in the temporal area. I actually made an appointment to have my temples filled in with plugs. I was 20 and I just didn't want to lose my youth. I was desperate. However, the day before my procedure, I asked myself (not that the surgeon ever mentioned this): What happens if I receed further or (gasp), I actually lose a LOT of hair as I get older?? Thankfully, I cancelled the day before my procedure.

However, that was not the end of my quest. Three years later, I heard of two plastic surgeons in Beverly Hills that did a revolutionary procedure called the "Flemming/Meyer Flap". You have to remember that this was back in the early 90s...there were no websites like this. So, I made an appointment and flew out to CA to meet with these guys. I actually got to see a patient and was simply amazed by the result. I was ready to take the plunge. However (and I thank my lucky stars that this happened), the Dr. actually told me that I was too young (23), and that it wouldn't be prudent to proceed until we saw where my balding stabilized. He told me to come back in five years. I was devastated! I thought I was going to be a "new" me in a few short months.

Now, I could have continued to look for a permanent solution, but I decided to go with the Hair Club until I could figure out what to do (That is a whole new story, in and of itself. Let's just say that I didn't keep the rug for very long). What ended up happening is that I married my wife, got on with life, and forgot about it...for a while. I never got over my "problem", but I realized that it is just hair. Hair does not make the man.

Now, that said, I have been happily married for 15 years now, and decided to look into it again for MYSELF. However, my wife couldn't care less. But, I took MANY years to research it. I finally went with a coalition doc back in August. It is obviously too early to tell how it will turn out. I have had some "hurdles" like shock loss, infection, etc. Take a look at my pics. Do I blame my doc for these? No. We all are all different, and many of us react to invasive surgury differently. However, I am confident that these are all just minor inconveniences on me for the short term. My doctor comes highly recommended and I know she will stand behind her work if there ever was anything that needed to be addressed.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I could have easily fallen into the same dark hole that you have fallen into. Yes, you are SLIGHTLY to blame for not researching it further. This is a major decision that you jumped into. However, I agree 100% that we, as patients and conumers, should not have do dodge these hacks! This industry is undeniably under-regulated.

I wish you luck in getting you life back on track

I just wanted to say that I apologize if I jumped on you when you first posted. However, you have to realize that we are ALL here for the same reason. There are actually some very good surgeons out there. You, first and foremost, need to get your life on track with a repair by a reputable surgeon. Hopefully, your legal action will help you financially, but you need to take a proactive stance so you can get on with your life.

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

John36,

I think you can tell by the tone of the majority of our members that we all support you and wish you well.

Generally speaking, the placement of the scar appears below what is optimal and way too close to the ears according to the text book definition of optimal scar placement. I'd be curious to hear your doctor's reasons for low donor excision, as exceptions may be made in extreme cases. However, the risk of scar stretching is much higher when the donor strip is excised below the occipital bump. This may be one complication your next surgeon faces (if you choose to get repair). Removing a donor strip with the existing scar may potentially increase the risk of scar stretching while harvesting a strip on the nuchal ridge will leave the old scar and create a new one. This is all assuming your scalp elasticity is adequate.

The recipient area, 1 to 2 months after surgery looked to be aggravated, even possibly infected. Did you speak to your surgeon around that time to have him evaluate it? Inflamed and untreated folliculitis can impact transplanted hair growth.

Signs of pitting also appears in your shaved pictures, which usually occurs when incisions are made too deep for the grafts, and the grafts are placed to deeply and sink down. The good news is, it does apear that any sign of infection that may have occured 1 to 2 months after surgery has cleared up.

Do you have any before pictures you can post? It appears the grafts were only placed in the hairline area however, you've presented some "after" photos of the top of your head. Can you clarify if grafts were placed only in the front or if they were placed other places too?

John, I don't think you are beyond help. But clearly you will need to consult with a few quality surgeons to get their professional input on your case and what can realistically be done to help you achieve your goals.

Best wishes,

Bill

and yes your question about the crown area.He placed grafts there too (I would say about 100) as much as I can determine...who knows.He certainly doesn't know because he was gone from the surgery the whole time except when he carved me and resutured me and when he came in to make th e incisions in the receptor sites which probably took 15 minutes

Originally posted by john36:

he was in a hurry to drive back to Cleveland...He came to my town and did the surgery in a HAIR SALOON that does not have licence to use its facilities for surgery.

john----IS THE ABOVE QUOTE FROM YOU TRUE??????? thats the sickest thing ive ever heard.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***