New growth question

kman

Hi. I'm now 4 and a half months post HT and curious about transplanted hair growth.

Generally speaking, when can someone expect all the transplanted hairs to have made an appearance on your scalp and any further improvement is strictly thickening of the hair shaft? Do you still get hairs poking through for the first time after 6 months...8 months?

I'm concerned about some thin areas on my scalp(in the recipient area) where I'm not sure hair shaft thickening alone will be enough to cover this up. Too early to worry, I know, but I still am curious about the above.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi. I'm now 4 and a half months post HT and curious about transplanted hair growth.

Generally speaking, when can someone expect all the transplanted hairs to have made an appearance on your scalp and any further improvement is strictly thickening of the hair shaft? Do you still get hairs poking through for the first time after 6 months...8 months?

I'm concerned about some thin areas on my scalp(in the recipient area) where I'm not sure hair shaft thickening alone will be enough to cover this up. Too early to worry, I know, but I still am curious about the above.

Thanks for the advice.

Kman,

No need to be concerned about thin areas at only 4 months. New hair growth only typically starts between 3 to 5 months, but hair can still pop through the skin all the way up to 9 months, and sometimes later, though it significantly slows down.

Hair will continue to thicken and mature up to one year or sometimes up to 18 months. This is why its important to wait a good year before evaluating the final result. Even hair transplant patients with significant hair growth at 6 months will often see a night and day difference by the end of a year in terms of hair density and appearance of thickness.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks, Bill.

Having been on here for awhile you would think I would know better not to judge things too soon. When it comes to my own situation somehow i'm less objective. I'm looking forward to the next several months. Thanks again.

I agree with the others Kman. You and I must be at the same point. I can tell (on most days) that my hair is looking better and I have more of it than I did a couple months ago, but it's still a challenge to keep the patience....

But I tell ya, I've had much more thickening in these four months than I ever had with my first procedure.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Yes guys im 4months and 1 week post op 3250 grafts, strip. Ive noticed a mini explosion of grafts sprouting over last two weeks which now has slowed down for some reason or other. I have a mix bag some are very thin , some whispy some thick and also many many little blackheads what appear to be hairs ready to sprout. I can understand Kman's concerns as ive already had Faalc and co explain to me the same thing and that is to be patient, which is the hardest thing of all. Also I too have some thin areas but im not writing anything off as yet,I fully understand I must wait a good 12-18 months for a final evaluation. Ive taken some pics with my digi cam and they should be uploaded by Mon/Tue.