This is the drug forum - how about some more opinions

Propecia works. Regrows hair in some cases and halts loss in many other cases. But, for cry eye!!!

Why doesn't anyone mention Spiro Liposomes by Lipoxidil and Lipoxidil 4.5% or Lipoxidil Plus (1.5% minox with retin-a in a liposomal base). These products have produced amazing results for me. Spiro is the only thing that has grown hair in the front area and Lipoxidil plus has thickened the back, increased hair shaft diameter and made much of my hair wavy again as it was in the past.

It took about six months consistent use to see real, substantial results that were cosmetically very significant. Hasn't anyone else tried these products? I'd love to hear what results you've had if you've used these products for a few months. Remember, though, it took about six months in my case to get substantial results. But when the results hit, they hit all at once. It was sort of an almost overnight change in my hair growth.

Anyone? Any informed comments? Or are we just going to talk about propecia, avodart, laser combs and gren tea extract for the next ten years?

Propecia works. Regrows hair in some cases and halts loss in many other cases. But, for cry eye!!!

Why doesn't anyone mention Spiro Liposomes by Lipoxidil and Lipoxidil 4.5% or Lipoxidil Plus (1.5% minox with retin-a in a liposomal base). These products have produced amazing results for me. Spiro is the only thing that has grown hair in the front area and Lipoxidil plus has thickened the back, increased hair shaft diameter and made much of my hair wavy again as it was in the past.

It took about six months consistent use to see real, substantial results that were cosmetically very significant. Hasn't anyone else tried these products? I'd love to hear what results you've had if you've used these products for a few months. Remember, though, it took about six months in my case to get substantial results. But when the results hit, they hit all at once. It was sort of an almost overnight change in my hair growth.

Anyone? Any informed comments? Or are we just going to talk about propecia, avodart, laser combs and gren tea extract for the next ten years?

I only just got started about 3 weeks ago - for some reason, it took over 50 days for them to arrive. I've placed my second order, and am now worried that it'll arrive in time so as not to break my daily regimen - they're going faster than I thought they would (especially the Lipoxidil).

I'll definately let you know more around November though! icon_smile.gif

Maybe you can tell us more about these products?

I've used generic Minoxidil for the past few months and suddenly it is irritating the hell out of my scalp. I don't think I can use it much longer.

If there is a useful topical that is non-irritating, I'd like to hear about it.

paul148 (and others):

I'd love to hear about the effects of other drugs, etc. I'd love to see documentation and picts too.

I, like everyone else, just don't want to throw away their money on crap.

Propecia is pretty expensive but clinically proven to regrow hair. Minoxidil is cheap, but not as effective usually as Propecia and has other drawbacks.

I'd love to see a case for other products.

Just make sure that it is the product working and not hair from the HT coming in. I think that is important.

I have picts proving regrowth on my crown. I didn't have any FUs planted there, but I always tell people that my hair was shorter pre-Propecia so the end result looks better because longer hair means better coverage even if I didn't regrow anything.

Yeah, I'm sick of Saw Palmetto, Green Tea, and Laser Comb too. God forbid Avocor.

Anything new you could document would be welcome with open arms. Avodart hasn't been around that long, BTW, but is getting more attention simply because it actually gets results.

Love to see more products like that (sans side effects, hopefully!). Let us know what you've got!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Part of the reason I wanted to hear from others was to see if I was just a freak case or if others were getting results.

I don't have a scanner, but I've got some photos stored on my office system showing my crown before drugs and after drugs. And the improvement is even greater than what the photos show. These photos are even more remarkable because they cover an eight year period. There were no transplants on top and in the crown and propecia grew nothing in those areas. All the growth occurred after I started using spiro lotion with zinc oxide. As for the front area, I used lipoxidil plus for four months before my surgery and sprouted a great deal of new hair. It was brown, growing and thickening. Dr. Keane was skeptical when I told her about it, but I believe she was interested when we did the consult because the many,many new shorter hairs were clearly distinct from the more developed permanent hairs form a previous transplant. These hairs were all new hairs that had only grown in during the previous months. For some reason these front hairs didn't show up well in photos because they were not yet long enough or thick enough. The light of the flash bulb seemed to make my scalp glow and obscure the visibility of these hairs which were quite visible under normal light conditions. In any event, I will post photos of the crown area, which was not transplanted.

Arfy, Ifound minoxidil, minoxidl with retin-a from lewinberg quite irritating, The Lipoxidil plus doesn't seem as irritating, but tip your head back when you apply it and don't rub it in. Because of the Liposome base, it absorbs in about two minutes. They specifically instruct you not to rub it into your scalp. The lipoxidl 4.5% seems totally non irritating. It too absorbs quickly and should not be rubbed into your scalp. Best of all about these minoxidil products is that they don't leave that greasy minoixidl look in your hair because they are absorbed into your scalp quickly. So, they are cosmetically acceptable for daytime use.

The spiro lotion should be used at night. it too absorbs in minutes, but it does leave a film or almost a gel like coating on your hair that you would probably not want to sport during the day,

Harry, Hang in there. I used to use a lot of these products and went through them quickly. I found that very little needs to be applied. Because they absorb quickly, it's easy to think you have not applied enough of the product. Just place droplets strategically around your bald area and the product seems to diffuse to surrounding areas. It works and it lasts much lonhger that way.

At the completion of my surgery one of the techs said "your all set now." "just use minoxidil for about another six months and you'll be all set for a long time." I respnded "You see all this hair on the top and crown? That's not form ordinary minoxidil and it's not form transplants. It's form 4 months use of Lipoxidil. If I stop using it, that hair will be gone. She seemed surprised, She had no idea that it was drug grown hair and she had never heard of lipoxidil.

I have also had success using 5% spiro on my mid scalp and crown. That along with 5% minox and proscar has greatly increased the density. A 2 month supply of spiro from Dr. Lee (www.minoxidil.com) costs about $33 plus $4.30 shipping.

1/5 proscar daily, generic 5% minox from Costco, and the spiro from Dr. Lee totals about $38 per month, not bad at all. I wish I had some before pics of my crown to post, but I didn't take any. The only negative (if you can call it that) is that it's tough to tell which of the 3 is helping the most.

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

Sorry guys, i did not have a chance to get to my computer that has the jpegs that shoe the medication results. Tomorrow i work all day and won't have a chance to post till Saturday. But, I will ge the photos posted.

I will try to post a photo 12 months after my 900 graft transplant and six months after i started using spiro liposomal lotion in the front of my scalp. The spiro grew no hair where none had been for years, but it grew a great deal of hair behind the preop hairline. you should be able to see the contrast if this photo uploads (the file may be to large and i don't have software on this machine to reduce the file size.) Here goes

not working. I'm going to retry on the post photos section.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that Spiro has the reverse effect on hairs that DEPEND on testosterone, like body hairs, so I began to wonder: Do the hairs on the back and sides of our heads also owe their growth to testosterone?

Would Spiro be a detriment to their growth when they are relocated to the front, where we are trying to treat the native hairs that fade away otherwise?

Just curious...

While I'm at it - riddle me this: You know how roughly 10% of our hairs, at any given time, are in the resting phase, but they do so in a totally random pattern over our entire heads, naturally?

Well, what happens to all those thousands of grafts, that've been forced into that slumber period from the surgery, when the time comes for them to take their next, natural "break"? Shouldn't they ALL FALL OUT AT ONCE???! icon_eek.gif