Advice on Switching to Avodart and general advice?

I am a 27 year old male thinning on top and I would classify myself as a NW3. I started losing hair in my early 20's and the first treatment I started was on Rogaine. At that time I only had a receeding hairline and I only used Rogaine for the hair line. Unfortunately I have just found out that Rogaine is not really effective for the hairline. After about 1 year of treatment and not noticing any improvement I started on Propecia at about 25. I experienced the most hairloss while using propecia (I dont think it is the cause and I hate to think how thin I would be without it).

I know that most of my hairloss can be attributed to MPB cause my dad is approaching 60 and is a NW5/NW6. But my older brother who will be 29 this year does not show any signs of thinning. I'd say that my accelerated hairloss may be attributed to stress (I feel I have been an overworked programmer spending nearly 12 hours a day on a computers)/ poor diet (my hair loss started in my early teens after I moved out of home - I havent been eating my greens icon_smile.gif ) / and after reading some links in this forum possibly earlier creatine use in my teens.

So to re-iterate the last couple of years I have experienced the most shedding and this was while I have been taking propecia. So I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on Avodart? If anyone here has had good results with Avodart compared with Propecia, etc.

BTW I am thankful for finding this forum as I would have had my HT in the UK but after seeing the difference that a top surgeon can make and that you have only 1 head and the many horror stories people have had with HT's - I've decided to bear no expense and have an appointment for next month with Ron Shapiro. Also because of this site I am currently starting a 'regime' of Propecia/minodoxil 5%/MSM/Vitamin B-complex and Biotin and Nioxin and 1% Nizoral - hoping for some results in a couple of months.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I am a 27 year old male thinning on top and I would classify myself as a NW3. I started losing hair in my early 20's and the first treatment I started was on Rogaine. At that time I only had a receeding hairline and I only used Rogaine for the hair line. Unfortunately I have just found out that Rogaine is not really effective for the hairline. After about 1 year of treatment and not noticing any improvement I started on Propecia at about 25. I experienced the most hairloss while using propecia (I dont think it is the cause and I hate to think how thin I would be without it).

I know that most of my hairloss can be attributed to MPB cause my dad is approaching 60 and is a NW5/NW6. But my older brother who will be 29 this year does not show any signs of thinning. I'd say that my accelerated hairloss may be attributed to stress (I feel I have been an overworked programmer spending nearly 12 hours a day on a computers)/ poor diet (my hair loss started in my early teens after I moved out of home - I havent been eating my greens icon_smile.gif ) / and after reading some links in this forum possibly earlier creatine use in my teens.

So to re-iterate the last couple of years I have experienced the most shedding and this was while I have been taking propecia. So I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on Avodart? If anyone here has had good results with Avodart compared with Propecia, etc.

BTW I am thankful for finding this forum as I would have had my HT in the UK but after seeing the difference that a top surgeon can make and that you have only 1 head and the many horror stories people have had with HT's - I've decided to bear no expense and have an appointment for next month with Ron Shapiro. Also because of this site I am currently starting a 'regime' of Propecia/minodoxil 5%/MSM/Vitamin B-complex and Biotin and Nioxin and 1% Nizoral - hoping for some results in a couple of months.

There are two types of DHT attacking your hair. DHT Alpha Reductase II and DHT Alpha Reductase I. Propecia only blocks DHT AR-II, while Avodart blocks DHT AR-II and DHT AR-I. Thus, Avodart supposedly blocks 90% of the DHT attacking your hair versus around 70% with Propecia.

About three months ago, I started Propecia after researching and comparing both for a few months. The final decision to opt for Propecia versus Avodart was made after reading this. It's an article which compares facts regarding the differences between Propecia and Avodart. In the article, Dr. Epstein expains that there are traces of DHT AR-I in brain tissue. So, by taking Avodart, you will be eliminating a chemical used by your brain.

I've read of several who take Avodart and believe it to be successful for them. In my case, I felt the risk outweighed the benefits.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi Hairbank,

Thanks for the link it is quite informative. Unfortunately Im in the unlucky position where Propecia does not look like halting my hairloss so another option like Avodart does look attractive.

I guess I will wait till my HT with Ron Shapiro to see what he thinks.

I went through sheding to with propecia. It took a while for the drug to kick in for me. I think for me it was a year and couple of months when i saw some results. I have been taking propecia for now 4 years and I am happy with the results. I believe that it has halted alot of the balding process for me in my crown. It has not done anything for me for the temples and the hairline.