I had a 1700 graft procedure done two days ago with Dr. Blaine Lehr, who I recommend. Everything went well, I have some minor swelling, and pain is minor enough. I think it will look good when it grows out, but that is a slow wait. I was wondering about a good haircut. I want to get it cut closely so that it is low maintenance, and I know it will still be thin. I was considering a buzz with a #4 guard, which may help people not to find out what I have done. Does anyone know how this will look and if the scar will show?

This is my first post here.

Thanks

I had a 1700 graft procedure done two days ago with Dr. Blaine Lehr, who I recommend. Everything went well, I have some minor swelling, and pain is minor enough. I think it will look good when it grows out, but that is a slow wait. I was wondering about a good haircut. I want to get it cut closely so that it is low maintenance, and I know it will still be thin. I was considering a buzz with a #4 guard, which may help people not to find out what I have done. Does anyone know how this will look and if the scar will show?

This is my first post here.

Thanks

I have another question to add to this. My doc told me about hte possibility of swelling, which he gave me anti inflammatories in the injections, a prescription, and a headband. I finished at 2 pm on Monday. I have a little bit of swelling, not a lot, and I am doing NOTHING physical, which makes this go so slowly. I have family coming in this weekend. Does anyone know how much I can expect to puff up between now and then. I can weat a hat, but I cannot wear a mask. I am trying to be as discreet as possible.

Any help is appreciated

Welcome 10 yr,

There is a chance you will still have swelling but it will be on the way out by the weekend, days 3-6 will be the worst of the swellhead stage, if you get it at all. You should be fine with a hat on, tell them you were stung by a bee or got poison ivy if your face is puffy icon_wink.gif

Good luck,

NoBuzz

Another thing. He used absorbable sutures. I may end up having them cut out at a local family doc's office. I hate having them in, but I know I need them for a little while. If anyone knows how long this things usualy stay in on their own, I would appreciate it. I have read tha tmos tpeople get the normal ones cut out on day 10.

10 years out...welcome to our community.

I'm glad to hear you had a pleasant surgical experience. Would you be willing to share your pictures with us of your pre-op and immediately post op condition?

Conceal your swelling with a hat should work just fine, however, someone may comment on your swelling anyway, especially because swelling typically starts at the forehead and then moves down the face. Be prepared to have a story as to why you are swollen.

Cheers,

Bill

10 years, Are you he didn't do absorbable sutures on the inside & outside stiches that need to come out?

Check with your doc to make sure.

I do own a digital camera, but I do not want my photo on the internet. I am a pretty private person and want no one to know I did this.

I am allergic to a few stinging insects. If I have to use that, I will. I notice I have a bit in my forehead region, and my surgery was on Monday. I am on prednisone and ibuprofen for swelling for it, so I hope it doesn't get worse. The doc told me that any swelling occurs at the 2nd and 3rd day post op. I am almost into day 3. I wouldn't notice this amount of swelling on another person at casual glance, but I am just worried. My lower forehead is normal, above my headband is a little swollen. Hopefully it will go away Thursday or Friday.

The doctor said no visit to a doc in my hometown was necessary for suture removal, so I guess I am fine with that.

Thanks for your help; anymore would be appreciated

As for the haircut...........everyone's different on coverage depending on hair characteristics. People with the type of hair that seems to "hug" their head seem to have great scar coverage. Those with coarse hair that really sticks out straight and needs a little length to lay down have more trouble.

Personally, I clipped to a #4 guard (1/2", I think) before the surgery and probably could have went to a #3, maybe a #2 without the scar showing. Try starting with a #6 clip or more and ease your way into it. If the scar does show, many have used Dermmatch, a concealer, to hide it which works wonders.

Good luck,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by Bill:

Be prepared to have a story as to why you are swollen.

Cheers,

Bill

My girlfriend's father busted my head when he found us on the back seat of his car.

Trust me, this one will work.

Thanks Bill. I think I will go ahead and have them cut out next week. I cannot stand them. I will wait ten days-my doc said that would be ok. I do appreciate the fact that he used absorbable ones, but I want to feel normal.

I had FUE's previously, but I think getting a bigger job done is more beneficial to me. When I had the last ones, there was a gap of shaved hair. Is that common with the strip method which I had on Monday. BTW, I had surgery 4 days ago, and scabs are already falling off. That makes me happy!

Hey 10 yr out,

I too had surgery from Dr. Lehr. I am now about six months out. I am pleased thus far as well.

You mentioned being a private person and not wanting to post your pictures on the internet. If I might suggest, you can easily take pictures (look at my blog) that do not identify yourself, but give others a chance to see the work you've had done and to help you analyse what is going on at any given moment. But certainly I recommend you taking pictures for your own personal record keeping. It does me tremendous good each month to look back at the previous months pictures and compare them to notice what changes are occuring and how I look better each given month. Sometimes it is easy to decieve oneself in believing that just yesterday I looked SOOOoooo much better than today. So photographic evidence, even if for your own personal use, is a good thing to have.

Also, the next month or so is the most difficult, so encouragement all around!

Happy growing!

Toad

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.

Originally posted by 10 years out:

When I had the last ones, there was a gap of shaved hair. Is that common with the strip method which I had on Monday. BTW, I had surgery 4 days ago, and scabs are already falling off. That makes me happy!

Usually with strip they will shave/clip down the area that will be harvested only. So, when they bring it together the un-shaved hair meets and should cover okay.

Many clip it to match the shaved top before going out in public again. Here's mine at the 7 day post op mark from HT #2...........staples are still in. I believe I put on a #1 guard but then strategically blended over the scar to what would likely be the equivalent of a #2 or 3 guard, make sense? I had 3881 grafts harvested.

1_week_post-op_2nd_HT_(right).jpg.79e52e7032b6d6c1259573c333e91efc.jpg

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Toad,

How long did it take for yours to grow? When I had the FUE's the doc said 8-12 weeks. Mine started growing in 7 weeks and 4 days, noticeably. Dr. Lehr said usually about 3-6 months, although some grow at 2. I am hooing that since my scabs are already falling off, the dormnacy stage will be short. Also, were you affected by shock loss? If so, when adn to what extent?

Thanks again.