Two Unrelated Questions

1) Can anyone give a clear explanation of shockloss. What it is and why it happens?

2) I've been looking at pictures of post op recovery. Is there a general estimation of how long after surgery it takes for your skin to look normal again? I see on a bunch of photos that even after the scabs have fallen out the skin is still red for a while? And does anyone know how this relates to brown skin folk (I'm middle eastern....if you didn't pick that up from my SN) I remember reading about how some black people have "cobblestoning" ? Is there another affect on brown skin?

1) Can anyone give a clear explanation of shockloss. What it is and why it happens?

2) I've been looking at pictures of post op recovery. Is there a general estimation of how long after surgery it takes for your skin to look normal again? I see on a bunch of photos that even after the scabs have fallen out the skin is still red for a while? And does anyone know how this relates to brown skin folk (I'm middle eastern....if you didn't pick that up from my SN) I remember reading about how some black people have "cobblestoning" ? Is there another affect on brown skin?

Hi

I'm no doctor but I have had 2 HT's .. Shock loss is just as it sounds. The hair follicles are traumatized by the surgery which cases them to fall out ( my estimation). As far as postop, I have med skin tone and the pinkness takes about 10 days or so to go away. you can always use coverup to hide it

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by AnArabiaNight:

Good questions!! I'll give you my thoughts:

1) Shock loss- as Mjrb mentioned, this can happen, and usually does, when you transplant anywhere around native hair and sometimes it happens around the scar as well. Maybe a Doc can chime in but I believe the major reason for the loss is due to the "rerouting" of the blood supply normally flowing to your existing hair which is now also focusing on the new surgically implanted grafts. Shock loss may or may not be permanent depending on the strength of your native hair that is shocked out (i.e. was it close to going out anyway due to MPB)....or.......worst case there is some follicle transsection during surgery

2) The general estimation for the pinkish tint to be gone is anywhere from 1-2 months...............generally icon_cool.gif! As usual, with HT's, no two people have the same genetics and will not heal in the same fashion. I do not know how this would relate to brown skin but would think it would be better than on white skin where there is more of a color contrast. I'm not sure about the cobblestoning...maybe someone else can assist?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

AnArabiaNight,

1. See the following article on http://www.regrowhair.com/hair-transplant-surgery/71/ for some additional information

2. it's hard to give a general estimation...but I'd say most redness in the recipient area should be gone in 2-3 months, though some may lose the redness much sooner or later. I honestly have no idea what effect it has on brown pigmented skin, though, unfortunately.

Cobblestoning has nothin to do with skin type or color...it has to do with large incisions being made rather than small ultra refined ones. Large incisions can leave the scalp with a "cobblestoning" or "pitting" effect. Thankfully, however, when you choose a qualified top physician, who uses ultra refined technology (custom cut blades, etc), cobblestoning isn't an issue.

Bill

Redness is almost always very temporary, mine disappeared in less than one month. The cobblestoning or pitting, I like to compare it to the dimples of a golf ball, I don't think you can say dimpling though, anyway, this is an issue I have and I am not happy about it because it'll never go away, one Doc told me it was because the blades were too large, the Doc who did the HT said it's because of too much depth ..... I think it may have to do with both, but I suspect the instrument size is the main culprit.

Guest Cousin_It

AnArabiaNight...

All excellent explanations to your question. Maybe I can add in a few details to help you better understand the issue of "cobblestoning".

All grafts heal above the surface, never absolutely even with the scalp, even those using ultra refined techniques. Due to the fact that yesterdays transplants employed larger plugs this became more evident. Its appearance on the scalp resembled the old "cobblestone" streets of yesteryear. Today due to the advances in instrumentation and techniques much smaller grafts are placed, which make these imperfections undetectable to the naked eye.

I guess my second question was more about an estimation of recovery time given my skin color. I'm not scheduled for any HT's but I'm highly considering going to see Dr. Cooley and although I'm sure he'll be able to advise me as I have read great things about him on this forum, I'd just like to be able to anticipate the answer. Immediately post-op how long would it take before I would look normal again to where I could go back in public without people knowing i had a HT given that my skin is brown in color. I didn't think i would get cobblestoning I just tried to draw what seems to be a bad analogy.

As always Thanks guys!

Guest Cousin_It

AnArabiaNight...

That is a very tough question to answer. It depends on a number of variables, namely the location of transplantation, your existing native hairs, if any, and your body's ability deal with the trauma of surgery.

Some people by nature heal very quickly, the amount of histamines released, which is the factor in the reddening appearence, is minimal. On the other hand there are those which retain this "redness" for a longer period of time, sometimes weeks to months. No one can give you an estimation of your response unless you are tested to determine this.

I am sure Dr.Cooley will be able to give you his professional opinion once he examines you.