Regain and hair loss

Matsuri

Hello to you all

In brief let me tell you my story...have been on Regaine ( Regaine is the European name of Rogaine ) from late past November. - the only things I use on my head are Regaine and a nice shampoo with zinc and sesame oil - Bill and many other great guys when I had suffered the shedding in the beginning of the treatment had suggested me to insist and encouraged me and I went on. And they were so right ! Finally after a couple of weeks hair loss stopped and either you believe it or not I got back A LOT of my hair especially on the top of the head and on the crown ( I am 32 years old, I was never totally bald in any area except nowadays on the left and right side of my hairline...always having long hair but began obviously getting bald ) The point is that I was extrememly satisfied and felt like blessd that Regaine helped me get back the hairs I had lost on the crown and on the top but now I go on again since a couple of weeks a shedding of the hairs I had gotten back...little hair measuring from 1 - 4 cm while my other hairs are much much longer. I think I just loose what I have gained and is terrible...areas with much less hair on my top and crown are obvious again just in some days ! Using Regaine for 6 months now does anyone of you had similar experience ? Any thoughts why this is happening while I am still doing everything like I used to do ? Nothing particular happened...just one day I started loosing some small hairs and now the amount increases and increases day by day...Please please if you have any idea let me know...Enjoy June, we are still in the beginning of the new month and get back to me please if you have any idea...Thank you all for helping me in the past..I am sure you will go on supporting me with your knowledge and experience now and in the future...

Hello to you all

In brief let me tell you my story...have been on Regaine ( Regaine is the European name of Rogaine ) from late past November. - the only things I use on my head are Regaine and a nice shampoo with zinc and sesame oil - Bill and many other great guys when I had suffered the shedding in the beginning of the treatment had suggested me to insist and encouraged me and I went on. And they were so right ! Finally after a couple of weeks hair loss stopped and either you believe it or not I got back A LOT of my hair especially on the top of the head and on the crown ( I am 32 years old, I was never totally bald in any area except nowadays on the left and right side of my hairline...always having long hair but began obviously getting bald ) The point is that I was extrememly satisfied and felt like blessd that Regaine helped me get back the hairs I had lost on the crown and on the top but now I go on again since a couple of weeks a shedding of the hairs I had gotten back...little hair measuring from 1 - 4 cm while my other hairs are much much longer. I think I just loose what I have gained and is terrible...areas with much less hair on my top and crown are obvious again just in some days ! Using Regaine for 6 months now does anyone of you had similar experience ? Any thoughts why this is happening while I am still doing everything like I used to do ? Nothing particular happened...just one day I started loosing some small hairs and now the amount increases and increases day by day...Please please if you have any idea let me know...Enjoy June, we are still in the beginning of the new month and get back to me please if you have any idea...Thank you all for helping me in the past..I am sure you will go on supporting me with your knowledge and experience now and in the future...

Hi Matsuri,

I'm glad that we've been able to encourage you and help you find real hair restoration solutions.

There appears to be more information in this thread, but I'm still a litlte confused.

From what I understand, you have been on Rogaine for 6 months and it was working for awhile and now hair shedding has started up again. But it almost sounds as if you stopped Rogaine for a time? If you did, that would explain the additional shedding if you started up again.

Any hair growth that occured from Rogaine will be dependent on it. Stopping the medication will result in a loss of all benefit and restarting it again may cause additional shedding.

If the medication is working for you, stay on it. There is also no guarantee that hair loss won't progress even with continued use. Hair shedding up to 50 to 100 hairs a day is also considered normal.

Let me know if I am understanding you correctly and how else we can help you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dear Bill,

Thank you SO much for both your replies...

Yes, you understood it very well and pls forgive me if I confused you. YEs, I have been in Minox for 6 months. Had the shedding when I started for a couple of weeks and from that moment the results were getting better and better. Hair loss completely stopped and my head was filling again with new hair. I was so happy but just at the point of 6 months ( almost exactly, I begun using it late November and shedding started late May - maybe a coincidence ? ) I begin to loose hair again especially the ones I had gained over the previous period. And I was wondering if anyone had same experience at the point of 6 months with constant use of minox that could give me further advice / information. No, I have not stopped using it...same as usual. Right...I have not been in Propecia yet. The reason why ? I was afraid...But with the lately posted topic about non dose dependant I begin to seriously talk it with my doctor and start it even in small doses and see the results. You see, I was EXTREMELY satisfied with Rogaine only though...Worked very very good for me...and just a bit sad to be on this shedding again...I dont know...maybe it is normal while using minox to have from time to time shedding and then get back what you'velost ? And if is normal how often does this happens ? This was somehow my previous wondering...

I have to personally thank YOU for encouraging me in the past...I wont give up on Rogaine. You have helped me again so much and thank you for being here even no matter what

Matsuri -

Congratuations On new growth!!!

Few questions for you if you don't mind:

1) At what times in morning and evening do you apply rogaine?

2) How long do you keep it on before washing it off (if you wash it off)?

3) Have you ever stopped using (for a week or two)or missed a dose since you started using it?

Thanks,

KG

Dear KG...

Thanks for your interest and time to read and reply.

Of course I dont mind...!!!

1. Morning around 10.00 and evening / night around 22:00.

2. I shampoo my hair every other day. My doctor told me to shampoo every day but I do it every other day. The time I shampoo is almost always at night before the application...like wash them, wait to get dry, apply Rogaine, wait a couple of hours to that the pillow wont absorb any of the dose and go to bed...

3. No no...Bill had warned me - as my dermatologist did too - that I should not stop using it otherwise simply I would loose any previous benefit. so it had not even crossed my mind to stop it. Yes...I think I have missed a couple of doses these 6 months. Do you think it could play its role - significant or not - ?

Also somewhere on this forum I had read that Rogaine has the same effect either you use it once a day or twice. Like 2 ml once every day instead of 1 ml twice. I dont know if it is right or wrong but if you have any opinion on it pls tell me...

Also thank you for your congratulations...it is just that minoxil worked pretty well for me so far except frontal left and right area. But you know...after the first expected shedding on the beginning which was anyway a terrible experience for me, being on similar shedding situation again makes me depressed and bit disappointed...but all I can do is just stay on it and reconsider to start finasteride if things wont turn back as I hope to...thats why your help / opinions are so important to me

I have to thank you my friend for your interest

Matsuri

Yeah Bill is right on the money. DON'T stop it. You might actually end up looking lot worse than what you had started with.. I know that's that not what you wanted to hear.

I used it in the past for 2 years, it worked like a charm, but then I got really sick of it as I had graduated from college and had started a professional job so I hated using it in the morning. First I reduced it to just once a day at night, but I started seeing hairs falling in no time.. So I found it not helpful continuing once a day (or so I thought). Soon after I had completely stopped using it, I lost all of regained hair plus some more. I looked like LOT worse when I stopped... I was so depressed and it pushed me getting a HT to recover crown (I only used it in the crown at the time.) Since then I have had 3 procedures totaling 8000 grafts all over the top/front/crown.. I have a good coverage all over, but I hate the density. I can't style my hair any way I want to.. Plus I am too afraid to loosing more hair in future as I am only 27 and I have norwood 7 history in my family. I am also afraid that my scar may eventually become visible!!! I have been on propecia for 7 yrs, but I don't think it's working as well as it used to in early years..

So I am back to square one... Using Rogaine as it will help with the blood flow into follicles.. I have two concerns:

1) As it stands today, I am thinking about getting up really early in the morning and applying it.. keep it on for 2 hrs and then wash it off, take shower and goto work by 8-9 am (that means i'll have to get up at 5 am) and then apply again at night and like you do - keep it on for 2 hrs and then togo bed. I am just wondering if it has to be on your head for 4 hours, or once you keep it on for 2 hrs you can wash it off without losing effect..

2) As we all know rogaine works to re-grow hair if the follicle is not dead. But what about in my case. I have had 8000 grafts, and I don't know if Rogaine would actually help re-grow additional hairs.

Thanks,

KG

Dear Kg,

Thanks for the reply...yes, I understand your point of view and after all I think you just have nothing to loose to get on Rogaine again, right ? All you can expect is nothing but good results...even if nothing better happens at least you will have the excuse to yourself that you have tried EVERYTHING you could do...This thought keeps me going on...

What I dont understand is your need to wash it off...why ? You know, either you believe me or not, for example if I shampoo Sunday night on Monday my hair will look so so, but on Tuesday until time to shampoo them again comes they look much better...look thicker and nicer...so I just dont get the wash it off thing...after applying Rogaine your hair looks greasy or messy ? Mine too....but as soon as they dry things getting better...and if someone asks me about my hair if they look a bit funny I just reply that I am using a treatment on them and I simply have no other choice. What I really care for is what I think of myself when I am looking at the mirror and not what other people think ( I guess you can never satisfy anyone, right ? )So, why dont you use my 'method' on a weekend that you dont have to go to work and see if it can work on you ? At least this way you will be certain that the Minox will stay on your head and work for sure. then you can reconsider about washing it off and if you will be having a good looking result you will also 'earn' these 2 extra hours of morning sleep.

And dont worry about your scar...we all can have a trained eye and see it because we know what it means ( having a HT ). The rest I think will not notice it...and dont forget, even if they notice it most probable they will think that you had been having a very active life and this scar is a result of a fight or accident or what...

ALL I am trying to say is that give a new chance to Rogaine, do the best you can, maybe try a new routine that can work better, you've got noghting to loose, dont be anxious and enjoy how you look at the present because noone knows how we will both look like in 10 years ( maybe in 10 years I will sue my father because he 'made' me loosing my hair, win the case, get all of his money, shave my head and become a Buddhist monk in Tibet !!! - just a joke...)

If you finally choose to be on Rogaine again let me know on your progression, o.k. ?

Thanks for the sharing

Matsuri

Hey Bill -

Yeah man life has been rough in past year with work and school.. just trying to keep up with everything.. Give me a call sometime and we'll chat..

Matsuri -

Yeah I'll let you guys know how it goes.. even if I do go back on rogaine, it won't be until end of the year.

Hey Kg007,

Im no expert but i have just started on rogaine foam a couple of weeks ago and i have no problem with greasyness. dunno if your on foam or solution but maybe the foam could solve that problem for you!! i put in on going out the door for work in the morning and its definately not greasy!!!! hope i see some results from it though..good luck

Rogaine foam is much better cosmetically, but lot of people who have used it have had terrible results even after using it for 6-7 months... I used it for 3 weeks and lost TONS of hair... Once I stopped using (since I was really freaked out) it, non of those lost hair ever grew back -- it's been a year since then (those hairs were not new grown rogaine hairs, they were my original natural hairs).. I am not using that product... too much inconsistency and not proven yet.

Originally posted by kg007:

Rogaine foam is much better cosmetically, but lot of people who have used it have had terrible results even after using it for 6-7 months... I used it for 3 weeks and lost TONS of hair... Once I stopped using (since I was really freaked out) it, non of those lost hair ever grew back -- it's been a year since then (those hairs were not new grown rogaine hairs, they were my original natural hairs).. I am not using that product... too much inconsistency and not proven yet.

hi kg007,

Were you on fin at the time? I know that rogaine can be a real follicle killer when using it on its own.

hs.

These views are from my own learned experience. I am NOT a Doctor, but people say that I do look like one from a distance.

Never used Rogaine due to the mission of applying it all the time etc. etc.

Only Propecia here and don't regret as my 3 HT's have compensated..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!