Norwoods "whisker hair"... myth?

AndersUK

I was reading up on some of Norwoods findings and came across the passage about "whisker hair". Thi  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AndersUK,

Yes some patients do have coarser hair characteristics in that region and sometimes utilized when doing facial restorative procedures. I believe this is one of the arenas where FUE (isolated extraction methods) can be very practical to allow the surgeon to selectively pick the best hairs to transplant.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Originally posted by AndersUK:

I was reading up on some of Norwoods findings and came across the passage about "whisker hair". This is described as short curly hairs that are found above the ears that have characteristics of beard hair.

Being "whiskered" myself I was just wondering how much stock to put into this one.

My poll-question is simply this:

Anders,

I have read this and I have the same condition. Smaller, curly hairs that seem to poke up above the ears. Let me tell you, I was not thrilled to read that assessment!

Unfortunately, it seems to be true. My own hair loss has been swift and started very young (17 years old). My brother is 31 and is a NW6. He has the same hair characteristics.

My best advice: a good, solid medicinal regimen to stave off as much loss as possible. Don't go crazy on "fad" treatments; go with what works and don't assess the treatment until you have given it ample time to work.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...

I guess polls arent a big thing in this kind of forum icon_smile.gif

To comment on Roberts reply. I've looked at other people a lot more now, in terms of having curly hair and I have to say that its impossible to say, if this theory has merrit or not. It seems to me that there are as many straight haired bald men as there are curly ones...?

So thanks for your reply, and like you say, lets get back to the business of viable solution ...

• 2 weeks later...