Incorporating a lifelong routine...????

johnnie69

My first post here....I had my transplant done on Jan 12 by Dr Shapiro. It was an awesome experience and would recomend anyone considering a procedure to investigate Shapiro Medical....Some specifics, I got 2700 graphs in the frontal region.

I am almost five weeks post-op, and have incorporated a routine....I just am curious if anyone has done anything similar or see something that I need to perhaps modify....

I wont take Propecia, so I am using Revivogen once daily (1-2ml) before bed....In the mornings, I use Tricomin (copper peptides) spray and follow woth 1 mll 5% Rogaine.

I rotate shampoos...Nizoral + Emu oil conditioner, Revivogen + Rev conditioner, Tricomin + Tricomin conditioner.....repeat....

I use pure aloe vera and Emu oil on my scalp if it is irritated (which, so far, it has not been)

I take 3000mg of msm daily, plus Biotin and L-arg.

I wonder if this is overkill, and also if I want to or will be able to continue this throughout my life.....It is alot of baggage....

Anyway, any advice is appreciated...

My first post here....I had my transplant done on Jan 12 by Dr Shapiro. It was an awesome experience and would recomend anyone considering a procedure to investigate Shapiro Medical....Some specifics, I got 2700 graphs in the frontal region.

I am almost five weeks post-op, and have incorporated a routine....I just am curious if anyone has done anything similar or see something that I need to perhaps modify....

I wont take Propecia, so I am using Revivogen once daily (1-2ml) before bed....In the mornings, I use Tricomin (copper peptides) spray and follow woth 1 mll 5% Rogaine.

I rotate shampoos...Nizoral + Emu oil conditioner, Revivogen + Rev conditioner, Tricomin + Tricomin conditioner.....repeat....

I use pure aloe vera and Emu oil on my scalp if it is irritated (which, so far, it has not been)

I take 3000mg of msm daily, plus Biotin and L-arg.

I wonder if this is overkill, and also if I want to or will be able to continue this throughout my life.....It is alot of baggage....

Anyway, any advice is appreciated...

Buddy,

Your routine is too much for me. I currently take propecia once a day and keep a mostly healthy lifestyle. Also, I have had a successful trans from Dr. Charles....you went with an awesome Dr., like me. I really dont want to take the propecia, but rogaine gave me side affects. With good ht docs' and finasteride, you should be okay. I have heard shampoos don't do anything but clean your hair.

Johnnie -

I think Researcher raises a good point; sometimes less is more. While I haven't run across a routine as elaborate as yours, I do admire your discipline and tenacity.

I had my first HT of 1,650 grafts last November. By comparison, my routine is simple: I take Propecia, 3000 mg MSM and the Tricomin shampoo. Researcher's comment about shampoo cuts through all the rhetoric; once this bottle of Tricomin is finished, I don't plan on buying another $25 bottle of shampoo. I also plan to discontinue the MSM once my hair grows out to a sufficient length.

In my case, with the exception of the actual HT and the Propecia, I'm beginning to feel like much of my routine has been overkill in my efforts to combat the problem of my receding hairline.

Though I have my doubts about the light therapy, shampoo, and sprays that I initially used, I think it provided me with peace of mind; I was doing everything I could within reason to make sure that my HT was successful.

Now as I hit the 14-week mark, I'm beginning to see results, feeling less anxious and thinking that this may actually work out after all. As for a lifelong routine, I'm thinking Propecia will pretty much do it for me until something better comes along (Rogaine sounds like too much bother. ).

When I go back for a second HT (the 1,650 wasn't really enough), I would begin taking the MSM a month or two in advance to derive the supposed benefits of reduced shockloss and increased rate of hair growth. After the HT, I might even be tempted to buy another one of those $25 bottles of shampoo!

At this early stage of the game, my advice would be to continue doing whatever you feel works for you at this point. Depending on the results that you get, you may decide to adjust your routine accordingly.

Good luck - FS

Yea, it is alot...

My hair is cut real short in the front from the procedure, so I wear a hat ALL the time. I do not style my hair, I am in a lousy f**kin waiting period until my hair regrows enough to at least blend it with the back....

I will not take Propecia. I talked with an endocrinologist, actually, the endo-Dr. Eugene Shippen-and he adamently opposes Propecia due to the hormonal effects. Did alot of research on the drug, and it definatly is not for me...

The Rogaine is, from what i have read, good for the transplant area post-op. I havent decided whether or not i will continue.....

The tricomin shampoo and conditioner will probably go, but, i must say that the Revivogen Shampoo/conditioner are great and make my hair look health and shiny.

Will continue with Nizoral.

The laser comb may not work, but it cant hurt and its no big deal to use......

I use the Revivogen before bed- one ml- and its no big deal to use.....Dont know if it will work, but it potentially blocks DHT.

The thing that troubles me is that i wont know what is working, and the longer i wait, the more hair i lose.

I wash my hair daily, so the rotation of shampoos sounds like alot, but it is in reality nothing more than choosing a different bottle each time....

Anyway, I wish that there was a clear cut answer as to what exactly needed to be done to stop further loss, but I dont have it.

All of this is a big pain in the ass,I cant wait till my transplant results start to show..

I am viewing this as a transition time....a time to make changes and in incorporate a manageable routine that will work for me.

Johnny,

I agree with one thing: your regimen can seem like a pain in the ass sometimes. However, I still think that having SOME kind of solution at all is better than nothing.

Anyway, you may be interested in a recent thread that I posted with pictures about concealers. You may or may not be interested, but I figured I'd let you know about it one way or ther other:

Dermatch Thread

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Ah, yes. I have to keep my hair between 1 inch and 2 inches long for dermatch and/or Toppik to work effectively for my tastes. Any shorter and it will look like I am painting my scalp and any longer and it will just look dumb.

Wait it out and best of luck to you.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Propecia

5% Rogaine (2x a day/crown, 1x day hairline)

3,000mg MSM

Multi-vitamin

1,000 mg C

1,000 IU E

B-6

Zinc

Saw Palmetto

FIsh Oil/or Fatty acid vitamin

Nioxin Shampoo daily

Nizoral Shampoo once a week

I've heard Tricomin is a good due to the copper peptide but I've never used it...I used Graftcyte after surgery which is made by the same company I believe which has copper peptides and it did wonders with the healing process.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is almost identical to Smoothy's:

- 1/4 Proscar at night

- 5% Minoxidil 2x a day on both hairline and crown

- 3,000 mg MSM

- A great multi (Fatigued to Fantastic's Energy Revitilization System, Adrenal Stress End, and Sleep Formula)

- NO2 and NO-Xplod (not for hair loss but for weight-training)

- Nizoral 2% on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings

-On other mornings and at night I alternate between Nioxin and American Crew

- 1 gram protein per pound of body weight

- and, just for good measure, I alternate months with L-argenine and L-lysine (one month of one and then one month of the other)

-Robert

A follow up to Robert's use of NO2 or NOX2. This is something that I think might be a diamond in the rough for MBP. I use it also and used it during post op to help the healing. NO2 has been used for the past 5 yrs by pro athletes and bodybuilders, with it just coming to the retail sector in the past year. It dialates the extreme blood vessels and capularies, thereby allowing more oxygen, protein, and nutrients to penitrate the vast depths of muscle tissues due to the dialation effect. Well, in addition to helping increase the muscle size "pump", it also helps to get nutrients to the hair folliculars by the same mechanism of action-- allowing the small capularies in the scalp to enlarge, thuse carry nutrients in the blood to/from the area. I noticed a healthier "look or shene" to my hair after about 6 weeks of using NO2.

The science behind this supplement would allow it to be a great assistant to maintaining healthy hair.

Originally posted by JacobS:

Why switch between L-Lysine and L-Argenine, Robert?

Both are pretty abundant in other supplements that I take so I don't want to risk any complications by continuously "over-dosing" them. The L-Argenine is very effective at countering any *ahem* lack of response that I may encounter from the use of Finasteride (it has never happened, thank goodness, but I feel that there is nothing wrong with staying ahead of the game). Cycling it on and off helps to "shock" the system (for lack of a better term) and keep the libido on its toes.

Of course, this is my theory and it seems to work for me. While I don't advocate experimenting with any chemicals (even OTC FDA-approved supplements) I beliece that research into them and knowldege of your body's typical reactions to substances can help greatly when deciding on your own regimen. I am very lucky to have a relatively resilient system so my side-effects are few and far between.

Hope this rambling post helps! icon_biggrin.gif

-Robert

Originally posted by Smoothy:

A follow up to Robert's use of NO2 or NOX2. This is something that I think might be a diamond in the rough for MBP. I use it also and used it during post op to help the healing. NO2 has been used for the past 5 yrs by pro athletes and bodybuilders, with it just coming to the retail sector in the past year. It dialates the extreme blood vessels and capularies, thereby allowing more oxygen, protein, and nutrients to penitrate the vast depths of muscle tissues due to the dialation effect. Well, in addition to helping increase the muscle size "pump", it also helps to get nutrients to the hair folliculars by the same mechanism of action-- allowing the small capularies in the scalp to enlarge, thuse carry nutrients in the blood to/from the area. I noticed a healthier "look or shene" to my hair after about 6 weeks of using NO2.

The science behind this supplement would allow it to be a great assistant to maintaining healthy hair.

While I whole-heartedly agree with what you have said here, Smoothy, I am always hesitant to actually come out and say that NO2 has any beneficial properties (for MPB) to it. I don't wish to come across as saying that it will actually regrow hair or anything like that. Basically, what I am saying, is that I was waiting for someone else to put it in words that fit best (like you did) so I could chime in and say I agree icon_smile.gif. Thanks, Smoothy.

-Robert

Originally posted by Forum Moderator and Satisfied Patient:
Originally posted by JacobS:

Why switch between L-Lysine and L-Argenine, Robert?

Both are pretty abundant in other supplements that I take so I don't want to risk any complications by continuously "over-dosing" them. The L-Argenine is very effective at countering any *ahem* lack of response that I may encounter from the use of Finasteride (it has never happened, thank goodness, but I feel that there is nothing wrong with staying ahead of the game). Cycling it on and off helps to "shock" the system (for lack of a better term) and keep the libido on its toes.

Of course, this is my theory and it seems to work for me. While I don't advocate experimenting with any chemicals (even OTC FDA-approved supplements) I beliece that research into them and knowldege of your body's typical reactions to substances can help greatly when deciding on your own regimen. I am very lucky to have a relatively resilient system so my side-effects are few and far between.

Hope this rambling post helps! icon_biggrin.gif

-Robert

Actually I'm a big fan of L-Lysine. I have been using it as a preventative for herpes simplex but I have also heard that it increases the efficacy of Propecia.