Wirey....Fine....or both....Which is it?

I had my HT 7 months ago and I am very pleased with the results so far. I was a diffuse thinner. I have noticed a few kinky (thicker too) , almost pubic like hairs in my hairline. I also see smaller, much finer hairs coming in along the hairline.

I new that the kinky thing happens and it is my understanding that this will subside over time. I've also read that the new hairs are fine, baby hairs that thicken as they mature over time. Which is it? Fine? Kinky? Or a combination of both? What is normal at the 7 month phase?

I had my HT 7 months ago and I am very pleased with the results so far. I was a diffuse thinner. I have noticed a few kinky (thicker too) , almost pubic like hairs in my hairline. I also see smaller, much finer hairs coming in along the hairline.

I new that the kinky thing happens and it is my understanding that this will subside over time. I've also read that the new hairs are fine, baby hairs that thicken as they mature over time. Which is it? Fine? Kinky? Or a combination of both? What is normal at the 7 month phase?

"Normal" is subjective as each patient will have their results mature at different times. The growing and sprouting phase is different from patient to patient as well.

I had the same issue, some hairs were thicker coming in while others were finer like baby hair. Everything turned out fine in the end so just give it more time and all should be well.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by Jotronic:

"Normal" is subjective as each patient will have their results mature at different times. The growing and sprouting phase is different from patient to patient as well.

I had the same issue, some hairs were thicker coming in while others were finer like baby hair. Everything turned out fine in the end so just give it more time and all should be well.

Did your kinky hair ever relax and straighten out?

What you are describing is expected at the 7 month stage and you will begin to see the hairs "normalizing" over the next few months.

You can look at each individual follicle like a flower vase where the inside of the vase is lined with cells. Each of these cells secretes "liquid hair" into the center of the vase where enzymes work on this material to form and extrude a new hair.

The reason you see fine hair is because the cells are not secreting as much liquid "pre-hair" as they ultimately will.

The reason you see the kinky hair is because some cells wake up and start producing liquid hair before other cells do. The distribution is such that there is an uneven contribution to the final hair which means one side of the hair shaft will be thicker than the other side. The result is a bend or "kink" in the hair.

As the cells in the follicle wake up a more even distribution is re-established and the hair goes back to looking as it once did in the donor area.

This is what happens in the overwhelming majority of patients. HOWEVER, variations do occur. In some patients the kink may become reduced, but never go away.

In other patients the hair may never come out of the "fine" stage. That is, only a few of the cells in the follicle ever wake up and come online again.

If the surgeon in whose patient this occurs has a good and consistent track record, then it's a safe bet to say that when this occurs in the rare patient it is due to unpredictable physiological limitations.

If however the surgeon and tech team are inexperienced or demonstrate an inconsistent track record then the chances are higher that it was mishandling of the grafts at just about any point during the surgery.

That's why sites like this one were created-for potential HT pateints to see evidence of consistent track records and to get detailed answers that they would probably never find elsewhere.

Dr. Feller

Originally posted by Dr. Alan Feller:

What you are describing is expected at the 7 month stage and you will begin to see the hairs "normalizing" over the next few months.

You can look at each individual follicle like a flower vase where the inside of the vase is lined with cells. Each of these cells secretes "liquid hair" into the center of the vase where enzymes work on this material to form and extrude a new hair.

The reason you see fine hair is because the cells are not secreting as much liquid "pre-hair" as they ultimately will.

The reason you see the kinky hair is because some cells wake up and start producing liquid hair before other cells do. The distribution is such that there is an uneven contribution to the final hair which means one side of the hair shaft will be thicker than the other side. The result is a bend or "kink" in the hair.

As the cells in the follicle wake up a more even distribution is re-established and the hair goes back to looking as it once did in the donor area.

This is what happens in the overwhelming majority of patients. HOWEVER, variations do occur. In some patients the kink may become reduced, but never go away.

In other patients the hair may never come out of the "fine" stage. That is, only a few of the cells in the follicle ever wake up and come online again.

If the surgeon in whose patient this occurs has a good and consistent track record, then it's a safe bet to say that when this occurs in the rare patient it is due to unpredictable physiological limitations.

Dr. Feller

Thanks Dr. Feller!

Let me ask you this.... I am pretty pleased with the result thus far... I'm wondering how much more hair should be expected over months 7-12... 10% more.... 20% more....30% more???

I'd appreciate any input!

I don't know about your SPECIFIC case, but on average you would have another 40% to go from your 7th to 14th month.

What I mean by 40% increase does not necessarily mean a 40% increase in the number of hairs, but rather the overall cosmetic look of the result.

So, whatever look you have by 6 months should roughly appear to be twice as thick by 14 months. In most cases this is largely due to the increasing caliber of the hairs and not new hairs waking up.

Keep posting and throw us a few pics when you get the chance.

Best of luck and grow well and strong.

Dr. F

I'm glad this topic was brought up as I'm unsure about some things. Many have said that hairs continue to thicken up as time continues, which makes sense but what if you have hairs that are already too thick in diameter for the area they are in?

I'm 4.5 months post with Dr. Hasson and have spoken to them about this but I'm not convinced things will level out. In my temporal areas the hairs are just too big in diameter leaving a toothbrush appearance. They have grown overall about an inch and a half but I have cut them several times since.

Granted they are still in the wirey phase so "a" change "is" expected, however I'm confused as sometimes it is said that hairs "thicken up", and other times it is said hairs "settle down" and get thinner.

Does the body adjust the transplanted hairs characteristics according to which area of the recipient they have been placed, or are the hairs just programmed to sustain donor characteristics for the hairs life?

Personally, it seems like most of my new hairs are quite thick (and a bit "kinky") @ 6month. Will be interesting to see what transpires in the next 6.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!