Dutasteride side effects

On dutasteride .5mg day since June 10th/2008...

Initially slight headache, mood swings(nothing major),lowered libido.

About mid Sept, I noticed a terrific shedding of hair...at the temples and vertex....so much so that I thought I might have telogen effluvium.

I no longer have headaches, and my moods have been improving. I have noticed my libido is back to normal, but the shedding continues, and I suspect that if it continues, I will be completely bald, aside from vellus hairs, on the top of my head.

I was expecting a slight shedding of hair, but nothing like what I am experiencing.

I plan to stick it out for six months....while I am dissapointed that I have experienced such major shedding, I can only hope that these balding areas fill in, once the affected hair follicles begin to produce new hairs.

As I have never really had a luxurious thick head of hair, I am not too bent out of shape about this....Given my genetic heritage, I suspected that some day I would go bald....I just didnt think Dutasteride would speed it up so.

I should also mention that I am experiencing an increase in body hair since starting Dutasteride....my legs are now almost as hairy as when I was a teenager(I'm 49)

I should mention that I am using Nizoral shampoo x3 a week, and minoxidil 2% nightly.

If anyone else has experiences with Dutasteride like mine, I'd love to hear about them.

About mid Sept, I noticed a terrific shedding of hair...at the temples and vertex....so much so that I thought I might have telogen effluvium.

I no longer have headaches, and my moods have been improving. I have noticed my libido is back to normal, but the shedding continues, and I suspect that if it continues, I will be completely bald, aside from vellus hairs, on the top of my head.

I was expecting a slight shedding of hair, but nothing like what I am experiencing.

I plan to stick it out for six months....while I am dissapointed that I have experienced such major shedding, I can only hope that these balding areas fill in, once the affected hair follicles begin to produce new hairs.

As I have never really had a luxurious thick head of hair, I am not too bent out of shape about this....Given my genetic heritage, I suspected that some day I would go bald....I just didnt think Dutasteride would speed it up so.

I should also mention that I am experiencing an increase in body hair since starting Dutasteride....my legs are now almost as hairy as when I was a teenager(I'm 49)

I should mention that I am using Nizoral shampoo x3 a week, and minoxidil 2% nightly.

If anyone else has experiences with Dutasteride like mine, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks for the info..

Any reason you are using 2% minoxidil instead of 5%?

Also make sure you are eating lots of protein which makes hairs stronger (peanut butter sandwiches are good source). Have you tried taking MSM to help speed up hair growth?

Looking forward to hearing how your 6 month results go! Stick with it!

My Hair Loss Weblog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Victor Hasson

Originally posted by Trimox:

Thanks for the info..

Any reason you are using 2% minoxidil instead of 5%?

Also make sure you are eating lots of protein which makes hairs stronger (peanut butter sandwiches are good source). Have you tried taking MSM to help speed up hair growth?

Looking forward to hearing how your 6 month results go! Stick with it!

I am using the 2% minoxidil soln as that is what my Dr. prescribed....as well, the 2% soln in generic form was on sale....I also felt that since I had such a bad shed with the dutasteride, I would just go easy on any other drugs(to start). Thanks for the info about protein....I have a bag of blanched unsalted peanuts that I have been using for snacks....icon_smile.gif...I also take a liquid iron and B vitamin supplement(Floravit) as I had read that lack of iron and B's can contribute to hairloss. I have not heard about MSM for hair regrowth.....Is that the same MSM athletes use?...

I will say that since the major shed in mid Sept(three months since starting Dutasteride)the shedding has slowed somewhat...but I wont hold my breath that it has ended completely. I am encouraged by the sight of short fine hairs in the recently bald areas.....hopefully they will amount to healthy strong hair.

Thank-you for your encouragement, btw.....

Originally posted by dabuski:

Where do you think you were on the norwood scale Hammy when you began with the treatment.

Also are you using a generic form of the drug?

I was probably a Norwood 2 when I started Dutasteride.....I am probably now a 2a to 3....this reduction took place in the course of about a month....which made it pretty scary....I admit I probably worried the shedding areas more than I should have....but I couldnt help it, especially when you reach up and give your hair a gentle tug, and four or five hairs come away. I knew it was bad when my boss looked down at my scalp(I was sitting on a low stool at the time), and said....Holy!....

I am taking Avodart....when I decided to take dutasteride, I did not know there were generic equivalents available...I believe my Dr. wrote the Rx for Avodart, and did not include "may substitute generic"....

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by HammyJ:

Dutasteride update: Shedding has slowed considerably....I have to work really hard to pluck a hair from my scalp now....the completely bald patch on my vertex is starting to show fine small hairs, which appear to be darker than the ones I lost(hopefully a good sign)....I have not noticed any regrowth in the frontal areas though...but as I lost that first, I suspect that will be the last place to regrow(if at all)....My scalp, which has always been extremely oily, is now quite dry, almost to the point of having to use conditioner(a first!)

Libido back to completely normal....I wonder if it hasnt improved somewhat....Definately more visible chest hair and leg hair....

Will keep you updated from time to time....my intial thought was to try Dutasteride for six months...but I figure it will probably be a year before we can deduce wether the stuff is effective or not...

Cheers,

HammyJ

• 5 weeks later...

My sister in law has her PhD in Pharmacy from University of RI and is now the managing director of an international pharmaceutical firm that specializes in consulting on drug interactions.

I asked about the long term effects of Avodart and the hormonal effect on testosterone, etc. Here is her response:

Since Avodart is also used to treat enlarged prostate, it does have similar side effects as Propecia. Detailed below:

* Since it is used to treat enlarged prostate it would most likely alter your PSA levels, which is a measurement specific to your prostate. (when your prostate is enlarged, the PSA is higher and results in urinary retention and other symptoms. Also, elevated PSA is often a marker for prostate cancer, so when you use Avodart for enlarged prostate it helps relieve the urinary retention and decreases the PSA).

* Guidelines recommend that you DO NOT donate blood while taking Avodart or for at least 6 months after discontinuation due to risk of fetal harm (birth defects) for pregnant women who receive transfusions with the blood. Also, I don't think that you're planning on having any more babies () but just in case Avodart is contraindicated due to the risk of fetal harm

* Possible sexual dysfunction problems and breast enlargement (based on effects on testosterone). (The drug works by inhibiting the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT). In clinical trials, it did not have a statistically significant effect on estrogen levels, cholesterol levels or bone mineral density (ie. Test for osteoporosis); however, it did have significant effects on testosterone and TSH (a thyroid hormone)- Your doctor could test this with a simple blood test to ensure it is not altered. After discontinuation of Avodart, these blood levels returned to normal.

* It is heavily metabolized through the liver so could be concerns with long-term use (no data seems alarming and they don't recommend any blood test for monitoring, but it could be of concern- since you were asking for long-term risks). (Also, lots of drug interactions so if you ever take any other medications ask the pharmacist/doctor about possible interactions)

I couldn't find anything on fluid retention and based on the drug's mechanism of action it shouldn't cause a problem. There are rare reactions that can cause localized edema (swelling) but you would have already experienced that if it were going to happen.

So far, it seems like you are not experiencing the side effects experienced with Propecia and usually if these side effects are going to happen it occurs in the beginning and resolves by 3-6 months. If you are concerned about your general practitioner monitoring any blood levels, they could test your PSA, TSH, testosterone and liver enzymes to make you feel better about any risks it may potentially have on blood levels.

So I followed up with this question to which you will see her response:

"however, it did have significant effects on testosterone and TSH (a thyroid hormone)"

The effects on testosterone: did it lower the testosterone level ? and what did it do to the TSH ? How will this impact me ? If my testosterone level is lower I think my sense of overall well being is altered and my workouts will be impacted as well ?

Response:

Decreases testosterone thus effects on libido and sexual dysfunction. I would think could effect your stamina/energy for workouts. If you experience a decreases in TSH could make you feel tired and could also make you end up gaining weight but TSH changes are less common.

As an avid gym rat and outdoor guy I was not thrilled with the decreased testosterone level's -- given that I will be 48 years old at the end of the month and my levels drop each year on their own as it is.

9/17/04 - 6279 Graphs

1/11/07 - 4128 Graphs

==========

Total: 10,407

I was on avodart for two months. I had no problems with libido but I did find that my ejaculate became very watery. Would like to have children one day so I went back to propecia after being on it for years with no problems. It has been 8 months since I have been off Avodart and still am waiting for the sides to completely go away. I don't know if this side effect is common but it was enough for me to get off it.

Also make sure you are eating lots of protein which makes hairs stronger (peanut butter sandwiches are good source)

Say what? Hairs are made of ceratine, an amino acid, which is part of proteins.

But peanutbuttersandwiches are like 90% fat and carbs man, the worst combination available, dont eat that shit.

Good sources of protein: Milk, egg, lean meat, fish, cheese, youghurt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!