Proscar: Effective after how long?

Trips

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say im very pleased I discovered this site, has helped me alot.

Im 22 and began my hair loss treatment 2 months ago. For the first month I was using special shampoo's/ conditioner etc. For the second month I began on Proscar and Minoxidil however still experiencing ALOT of hair loss. I was wondering how long Proscar will take to 'kick in'. Im worried my hair will thin to much or fall out before proscar can begin to work.

Tim.

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say im very pleased I discovered this site, has helped me alot.

Im 22 and began my hair loss treatment 2 months ago. For the first month I was using special shampoo's/ conditioner etc. For the second month I began on Proscar and Minoxidil however still experiencing ALOT of hair loss. I was wondering how long Proscar will take to 'kick in'. Im worried my hair will thin to much or fall out before proscar can begin to work.

Tim.

Do a search through some previous forums if you havent already,

however i do believe it is about 3months until proscar/propecia takes effect and Rogaine is 6 weeks ,

what you lose should grow back but if you stop it will fall out quickly and is even hard to gain back (or Rogaine hehe)

not sure what your trying to stop but as in my situation it wont hold your hairline just the mid section although a lad on here is having awesome results with it

hope this helps

We Can only Play the cards we are dealt

http://www.hairlossweblogs.com/home-page.asp?WebID=95

Trips -

I've been on Propecia for seven months now and just recently I have noticed that my hair loss is coming to a halt.

As for the minox, I started using it about three two months ago, but stopped two weeks ago- it was just too messy. Anyways, I have had a bigtime loss after stopping. I think that you should only start on minox if you plan on staying with it for a LONG time. If you stop, all the hair you grew or protected will fall out very soon after discontinuing Minox.

T

thanks for the reply's guys.

I was just getting a little worried about the amount of hair loss since I started on Proscar/Minox. I also understand some ppl experience shedding when beginning both drugs and think the hair im loosing is thinner than before.

I've always had a receded hairline however by the time i noticed the loss in those areas the top of my head is now thinning allot. I was told I will regain what I have lost however im quite optimistic. My main concern is that I dont want to loose most of my hair on top before proscar has time to kick in.

Originally posted by Ty:

Trips -

As for the minox, I started using it about three two months ago, but stopped two weeks ago-it was just too messy. Anyways, I have had a bigtime loss after stopping. I think that you should only start on minox if you plan on staying with it for a LONG time. If you stop, all the hair you grew or protected will fall out very soon after discontinuing Minox.

T

Do you think the same holds true with the use of propecia/proscar? If you stop, will major hair loss follow?

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

Yes. The same holds true for Finasteride (propecia/proscar). If it's been helping you maintain or regrow, and you stop taking it, you will lose whatever you have kept and/or regrown.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.