The deed is finally done!

Teddw2ds

Thank's Teddw2ds for all the info on Dr.Rose. I'm just happy to see some stuff posted on him. When I go for my hair transplant I'll be in florida so Dr.Rose is someone I wanted to get info. on. I never see anything bad posted on him but not many post at all on him, so your a very big help.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just following in the footsteps of those who have been such a big help to me. Just 10 days ago, I was on the other side of the great divide (those who have taken the plunge and those who have not), and I had all the same questions, tension, fears, nerves, etc. as anyone else who hasn't gone under the knife yet. Now, being on this side, I would not hesitate for a moment. I know I made the right choice, and it's thanks in large part to the information I got here.

tedd,

i'm in the same boat you were in. i've been in it for a while now. 11 years. i'm a NW2 or NW3 i guess. in my opinion, i have suffered a loss. even though it is not as much as others loss, i still feel like i have to hide my hair loss. i do "comb overs" in a manner of speaking. but when the wind blows, oh hell! everyone can tell i'm hiding my temple area baldness.

i'm basically decided i want to get some work done. just don't know if it will be FUE/FIT or strip. and with whom for that matter.

I know that the FUE vs. strip question is the hot topic in HT transplant technology these days, but from my own experience, under my circumstances, I see no reason not to go with strip.

I'll qualify that by explaining what circumstances I mean:

1) I was a Norwood 3, meaning I only needed about 1500 grafts. This means I was able to get by with a strip only 0.8 mm in width, which will result in a nearly indetectable scar. Hell, even 10 days out, with the stitches still in, it's hard to see any scar. Of course the stitches are easily noticeable, but the scar itself is not.

2) I don't ever plan to shave my head. No matter how much hair I lose, that's just not a good look for me, therefore the scar being seen is not an issue, as I will never cut my hair shorter than a #2 blade.

For me, the pain associated with the strip removal was so much less than I anticipated. For me, that was the big issue, because I simply don't like pain. There was almost none, and for the difference in price, strip was the only way to go for me.

Teddwds2,

Great reading how your HT is coming along. I also had kept a bunch of my original HT hairs through close to 4 weeks, but alas, they did eventually leave. In fact, last night at 8 weeks after HT, another one left. I can tell which ones they are because the hair on the top of my head is slightly lighter than the side hairs and last night's was a 1cm dark hair. I look at them leaving as positive because that just means it'll be replaced by the next generation. At 8 weeks now, I have mostly unnoticeable peachfuzz, and still a little bit of pinkness. This is a trying time of the HT when basically all indications of the HT are gone, and none of the regrowth has substantially started. Oh well, it is exciting, and in certain aspects of life I'm real patient and I'm finding that waiting on an HT is one of those patient times. Mostly because what can you do.

Good luck - great story.

Manko

Thanks Manko

I am aiming to have a website up within a week or so, documenting in more detail the whole process.

It's day 10 today, and in about 2 hours I am getting my first post-op haircut. I can't wait to see what it looks like when the new hairs will blend in a little more with the old, as far as length. Right now, I still have quite a lot of the transplanted hairs, and they range from stubble length to about 1 cm or a little less, so it is quite obvious I now have hair where I didn't before. In my particular pattern, I had essentially full hair in some areas and completely baldness in others, so it's harder to disguise the new hairs.

Oh, well... like you said, though. It's a waiting game. So far, I've been hoping I can beat the odds and keep the new guys all the way through, but I know that's not likely.

Okay, I just completed the final milestone, for now. That is, I just got back from having my first post-op haircut. And the results are... well, acceptable.

I was hoping my stylist would be able to make my donor area completely indetectable, but I guess he can only do so much with what he's got to work with. I guess I should have learned that lesson years ago... I have been trying to get him to cover my balding areas and there's only so much he can do there. Until the closely clipped hairs in the donor area catch up with the #5 cut I just got, I guess it will just look like I have a weight line. Not a very modern hairstyle, but acceptable. I also sprinkled in a little Toppik to reduce the contrast, and it looks pretty decent.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the little fellas to start falling out up front, only to return again after their short "winter" season.

Have you tried Dermamatch, Ted? If you've got a relatively small area where you want to reduce contrast I think it works a little better than Toppik. I've used both products and I think it's helpful to have both on hand after surgery.

Tedd,

Thanks for the updates... like others, I was also searching for guys how had the procedure done by Dr. Rose. It would be very helpful if you can document by good pics every month or so..

texasNW2,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i still feel like i have to hide my hair loss. i do "comb overs" in a manner of speaking. but when the wind blows, oh hell! everyone can tell i'm hiding my temple area baldness.

I know exactly what you mean, how you feel! in fact i have been doing this "covering" stuff for about 2 years now and i am scared to go out without a cap..i look terrible when the cover comes off ! we will overcome it my friend, lets keep working on choosing the right doc for each one of us and victory will be ours :-)

billorbob,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Thank's Teddw2ds for all the info on Dr.Rose. I'm just happy to see some stuff posted on him. When I go for my hair transplant I'll be in florida so Dr.Rose is someone I wanted to get info. on. I never see anything bad posted on him but not many post at all on him, so your a very big help.

i am keeping track of the members of this site who

had atleast one procedure done by Dr. Rose.. (based, solely on their posts, ofcourse!) here is the list.. "Vocor1, Teddw2ds, mehani, snowblind, TrendSetter, bk, Big it up, Mona772, redbeard"

( spending too much time on this website?? :-) )

Everyone,

45cm2 is really good, i thought.. for that matter, i dont know if i would like more than that as i have a fear of the transplanted area alone looking strangely dense should the other areas thin in due course of time! Again, its my opinion, i might be wrong in that the other areas (sides and back) may not thin for most people.. what do you guys think ?

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135

PD "spending too much time on this website?? " No I don't think you are. I think I have to get better at useing the search tool on this site. I didn't know that many people have gone to Dr.Rose. Thank's for the head's up or the, Hey Billorbob your head's up your***, use the search tool..LOL..Either way Thank's

I also think your right to go for an all-over (same) density. Seem's like the right way to go.

PD "spending too much time on this website?? " No I don't think you are. I think I have to get better at useing the search tool on this site. I didn't know that many people have gone to Dr.Rose. Thank's for the head's up or the, Hey Billorbob your head's up your***, use the search tool..LOL..Either way Thank's

I also think your right to go for an all-over (same) density. Seem's like the right way to go.

billorbob,

LOL! a heads up for the "actual" heads up in public..lol..

in fact this site's search tool is much better, there is another site, hairsite.com, God, I never succeeded in using its search .. but it took me a lot of reading more than using search, thought i could save you guys some time.. it would really helpful if everyone updates their profile with the name of their HT surgeon..(atleast when they answer 'yes', one should be forced to enter the surgeon name )

Also, I was really surprised to not find posts of any photographs of those who had HT by Dr. Rose, except Vocor1 ofcourse! Maybe they are just too happy with the procedure and never come back to this forum ??? ... icon_wink.gif

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

Tedd,

Thanks for the updates... like others, I was also searching for guys how had the procedure done by Dr. Rose. It would be very helpful if you can document by good pics every month or so..

That's exactly what I plan to do, PD. I have taken lots of photos... before, during and after the procedure. I was sure to get shots with any significant change in my appearance, such as when the scabs fell off, and after my first post-op haircut. I won't make any promises when I will get the site up, because I know I will probably miss my deadline if I go so far as to state such a goal, but I will try to do it very soon.

Today was my first day back at work, and I was a little nervous at first. I wondered if anyone could tell something was different. No one said anything, but most people are discrete enough that they wouldn't. So, more importantly, I was watching where peoples' eyes were looking while we talked, to see if they were drifting towards my hairline. Not a single one all day! Cool! The line in the back is barely noticeable, but it doesn't look bad. It just looks like a part of my haircut, and I don't think anyone thought anything of it. It will still be nice when it grows out a little and I can cut it all to the same length.

Okay, so this isn't the exciting stuff... these are the "before" shots. Hey, I have patiently waited for years to have this done, so you can wait a few more days to see my "after" shots.

But here's the view from several angles.

Wow, are these ever painful to look at!

composite.jpg.b05fb1b3337371e83aa73f718ea0bc5f.jpg

Okay, I tried to change the photo to one that shows more angles, but even after deleting the original, it still puts the same one back on there.

Here's a brand new post that will hopefully pick up the right photo.

composite.jpg.6f56f2e3bc028bb90441aee4942b2b11.jpg

Great the pic's are coming. Today we get to see what you gave to Dr.Rose to work with. Can't wait to see what he did with it in your follow up pictures...Hope all is well Teddw2ds...

Well, it's a good thing I took lots of pictures right after the procedure, because now I am really starting to see the new guys taking their anticipated "rest". Damn! I was hoping to skip that step, but looks like I'm not going to get so lucky.

I also noticed in the last couple of days that I have experienced a bit of numbness right behind the hairline. It's not really bothersome, and I know it's temporary.

Tedd,

aw come on.. post those pics and stop teasing us..will ya?

icon_rolleyes.gif

PD.

hey, at least I got the before shots on there!

I'm working on it. I know this is terribly antiquated, but I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post them as I take them. I will get the film developed this week and get them posted soon thereafter... I promise! icon_frown.gif

Teddw2ds,

I was only kiddin.. icon_biggrin.gif

I know you have been really giving back to the community more than many guys out here with wonderful before pics..( and hopefully some wonderful after pics soon.. icon_biggrin.gif )

PD

I know you were... I didn't take offense.

I am as excited as anyone to see the photos.

I'm just glad I took them, because until those new guys decide to come back for a future appearance, the pictures will be all I have to look at. They are really starting to fall out, to the point where I look almost the same as I did before the procedure. I may have about 30% of the transplanted hairs left, but I know that by the end of the year, I should be sprouting like a chia pet!

Hopefully, the shock loss will subside also. I was hoping to avoid that, and fortunately it has been very mild, but I have definitely noticed some, as have others, who were so kind as to point that out to me. Just when I took care of the loss in one spot, they start falling out elsewhere!

Tedd,

As you probably already know, you got nothing to worry, shock-loss is temporary unless it is the hair that is extremely miniaturized and would fall in a few months anyway.. but some recommended doctors who i spoke to claim that even miniaturized hair is goin to grow back if you had started using propecia..

Good luck to you my friend..

Oh, yeah. I have been on Propecia/Proscar for 3.5 years, and it has been a godsend. It virtually halted my loss in its tracks. I just went for the HT to repair the damage done prior to when I started it. I also use Minoxidil 5%, but I have stopped temporarily. I plan to go back on it about a month post-op.

And I am not too worried about the shock loss. It is not very severe at all, and it occured among hair that was not all that miniaturized. I have been using the Toppik I had on hand and it has covered nicely, but the whole point of the HT was to avoid having to use that. I will certainly stay on the drugs, though. That treats the problem, whereas Toppik only treats the symptoms.

Teddw2ds, Looking at the the before pic's you posted, it look's like the hair you had left was the (HELL NO WE WON'T GO) kind of hair. If some of it got shocked it look's like the type (strong) that would come back.

Tedd,

Definately dont lose too much sleep over shock loss, it really hit me on my 1st HT, it grew back with the new stuff. You should see a nice overall improvement...the wait is always the hardest part.

NW