Retin A/Retinol Products: Do these cause hair loss?

Hello Everyone: I've read that too much vitamin A can contribute to hair loss. Can anyone tell me if Retin A or products with Retinol in them is considered a "Vitamin A" product? I use Retin A and these types products for my skin and have for years.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

worriedgirl,

Excess of anything is usually a bad thing. But as far as I know, regular doses of Vitamin A isn't going to cause hair loss. Retin-A is often used to soften the skin and is found in some hair loss products to allow the active ingredient to more easily penetrate the scalp. I highly doubt if Retin-A was correlated with hair loss, that it would be included in topical hair loss treatments.

Best wishes,

Bill

In proper doses, and applied to the face (not the scalp) Retin A should not be the cause of hair loss.

I am a huge fan of retinoids both for their cosmetic effect as well as their ability to reverse some precancerous changes on the skin.

I have used them on my face for 14 years.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 12 years later...
On 9/20/2008 at 2:57 AM, Dr. William Lindsey said:

In proper doses, and applied to the face (not the scalp) Retin A should not be the cause of hair loss.

I am a huge fan of retinoids both for their cosmetic effect as well as their ability to reverse some precancerous changes on the skin.

I have used them on my face for 14 years.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Bump.

Thanks for the professional advice.

I have started an 0.3 retinol product this week and I hope it won't be a problem.