trichophytic procedure

Ive been looking into the tricophytic procedures the last couple of days now and it seems to be a little like rolling dice. it may work or it may not work depending on the patients ability to heal and the elasticity of thier skin. Has anyone had this surgery and if so how has it turned out?

Ive been looking into the tricophytic procedures the last couple of days now and it seems to be a little like rolling dice. it may work or it may not work depending on the patients ability to heal and the elasticity of thier skin. Has anyone had this surgery and if so how has it turned out?

Hi Dakota

It is not a crap shoot , rather a viable closure technique used effectively by top doctors. Of course there are always factors that may effect level of scarring ( how well the patients cleans the area, skin type / healing time) but for the most part it is a very fine linear scar. Look at some of the Coaltion docs sites and they have photos of the closure

I have it on my latest HT but I am only at 4 months post op ( still looks good)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Looks like you had all 3 HT's done by Dr True. Just for that simple fact i dont need to ask you if he's any good. He and Dorin are actually the ones who are closest to me. Did he do the tricophytic procedure on you or was it another doc?

Hi

The last 2 were the T - closure .. Yes, I have had good experiences with T & D .. Of course there are people on here who might say he's a but conservative but that's ok with me..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Poker - I had the Tri with Dr. Feller in Feb and it's barely detectable (and will further fade over time). The big advantage of the tri-close as I understand it is that they bevel one end of the flap so the hairs grow through the scar, thus further mininizing any detection.

I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I would choose it (and him) again. Remember, you still need a competent doctor making the incisions and using either staples or sutures for the close. That's why it's important to go with one of the Coalition doctors who have a proven track record.

As far as visibility after surgery, I'd have to say yes. Mostly because you will have staples or sutures which protrude to some extent, although, I had a hard time finding my staples since I kept my hair fairly long. I will note that I had some shockloss on the scar line above one of my ears (near where the scar starts), but it went away after a month or so. Keep researching and then you'll be comfortable making your decision...good luck.

Jersey

Don't forget if your planning on getting a second HT there is no sense in doing the T closure on the first one since it will just be opened back up.

Or am i wrong?

4 length is fine I think.. Folica, the T closure is standard these days regardless if you are getting anthother but good point

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by folica:

Don't forget if your planning on getting a second HT there is no sense in doing the T closure on the first one since it will just be opened back up.

Or am i wrong?

folica-

I would respectfully disagree with that observation. From my perspective, in general, anytime one performs a surgical procedure on a patient, the surgeon ought employ the latest proven techniques for maximizing the cosmetic outcome, irregardless of whether or not there may be a subsequent procedure. To date, the tricophytic closure is the "gold standard" of techniques, in my opinion, when talking about closing incisions made in the hair bearing scalp. Why have a more visible scar when you can have a less visible one, know what I mean?

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Dr. Caraman, So in your opinion should T closure always be employed or are there certain conditions when it is not a viable choice?

I agree with Dr. Carman on this one...

Regardless of how many subsequent procedures are needed, I believe the gold standard should always be applied for every surgery.

That being said, I believe there ARE times a surgeon many not employ the Tricho closure technique. One example MIGHT be a patient with less donor laxity, not as concerned about the scar and still wanting to maximize as many grafts as possible. I believe there was a case like this that I read about over the last year or so.

But it would be interesting to hear this answered by a doctor...

Bill

Dakota,

"Ive been looking into the tricophytic procedures the last couple of days now and it seems to be a little like rolling dice."

Sure, but there is some risk with any surgical procedure. If you opt for a strip procedure, you will likely find that trico/ledge closure is the right treatment. "Rolling the dice" is bleak-sounding, considering the positive results that are achieved.

"it may work or it may not work depending on the patients ability to heal and the elasticity of thier skin."

Hair growth through the scar is very consistent, but the possible scar complications (or lack thereof) that apply to strips without trico also apply to strips with trico. Removing a strip of the proper dimensions will help ensure the closure can be done with little or no tension. This helps the overall healing and appearance/size of the scar. The Trico is only cosmetically consequencial if the donor scar is relatively thin.

" Has anyone had this surgery and if so how has it turned out?"

Dr. Rose has been doing his Ledge closure for over 3 years, and most of the other fine doctors we hear about on this board use the trico as well. In most (not all) surgical cases, there is no reason not to employ the technique. It only stands to improve the appearance of the donor scar.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by folica:

Dr. Caraman, So in your opinion should T closure always be employed or are there certain conditions when it is not a viable choice?

Folica-

About the only circumstance where I don't necessarily need to perform this type of closure is on older patients with graying hair. These patients seem to have the best cosmetically acceptable residua without the tricophytic procedure. This may be due to a number of factors, the two most notably being the low contrast between the gray hair and the scalp, and the other being the tendency in this patient population to form less of a scar in general.

Otherwise, yes, I pretty much use this closure routinely with very satisfactory results.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors