Difference Between Shedding Grafts and Shedding Hairs

Can someone articulate the difference between shedding hairs and shedding grafts?

In my previous post, I said it appears that I am shedding grafts at day 17. I have read on some posts by Bill that this is normal. Other people have replied to my earlier discussion post saying that this is not normal.

Also, if I am, as it appears, shedding grafts, does that mean the hair folicule is non-existent or will a hair/hairs grow out of that transplant and the roots have been embedded?

Thanks,

Can someone articulate the difference between shedding hairs and shedding grafts?

In my previous post, I said it appears that I am shedding grafts at day 17. I have read on some posts by Bill that this is normal. Other people have replied to my earlier discussion post saying that this is not normal.

Also, if I am, as it appears, shedding grafts, does that mean the hair folicule is non-existent or will a hair/hairs grow out of that transplant and the roots have been embedded?

Thanks,

Jman, Shedding grafts at 17 days is totally normal. You may not see the bulb of the follicle when the hair falls out. Do not worry though, these are indeed the grafts. Also, propecia will not effect the planted grafts. The toughest part about an HT is not the surgery but the waiting. Keep in mind that although growth will start at around 3 months, it will not look cosmetically significant for quite sometime and results can change dramatically from month to month up until 1 year. So be patient and feel reassured if you went to a top doctor you should be very happy by this time next year. Good growing!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks for your reply!

Apparently, Dr. Pathomvanich is the best in the region and he trained under Hassen and Wong. Dr. P and Dr. Wong are actually quite good friends, so I think I have had a good transplant ... I hope anyway.

One more question ... when the grafts shed does that mean there will be no hair growth from that folicule?

J-Man1972, Dude, you're more likely shedding hairs and not grafts. Look at it this way. Pull a hair from (the back) of your head and look at it. It should be the hair shaft and perhaps the hair bulb if it didn't break. It will look nothing like the grafts placed during your surgery. A graft would have the attached tissue and look like an actual graft. If you're shedding anything, rest assured it's a hair or a hair with a scab attached. Hope this helps ease your mind a bit.

Thanks for your reply Not so Bad, but it is a graft.

It was too big and there was bleeding afterwards. I'm positive it was a graft. I can also tell because I am losing hairs as well and I can see the difference.

jman, just saw your other post...it does sound unusual for you to see the bulb and have bleeding and pain. however, the grafts are fully secure after 8 days. i would definitely call dr. path up. you paid a lot of money for the surgery so don't be bashful about getting him on the phone. also, how raised up are the bumps you are seeing? any pictures you could attach would be helpful too...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I just phoned the doctor and he said it was normal but I don't think he fully understands.

Unfortunately, my camera is broken. I dropped it last night. Go figure! Even if I was to take a picture though, I don't know if it would be clear. The bumps are small right now.

How big is the hair bulb generally? I tried pullign one from the back of my head and it definately wasn't as big as what is being shed.

Mayeb it is just sheddign but I tell you the bulbs seem to be bigger than I would expect. Also, what about the bleeding?

Hi J-Man,

Can you describe in more detail how you came about this graft with a follicle attached? It's very unusual to have bleeding with pain. Did you traumatize the recipient area somehow? At post op date #17, you would have to cut into the recipient site with a scalpel to extract the follicles. Some patients are so scared of losing grafts that they will not touch or barely wash their hair for months after surgery. You should make an appointment to see Dr. Path. right away. I'm sure he's concerned about you experiencing unexplainable pain, bleeding and loss of grafts more than 2 weeks after surgery. Good luck.

okay, I just read on your other thread you are a plane ride away from your ht doctor. What country are you in? Is there a ht doctor near you at all?

J-Man,

The shedding of the transplanted hairs is normal and typically most of them will shed between 2-4 weeks.

But losing a follicular unit graft including the follicle at day 17 is not normal. I agree with Janna that you should contact Dr. Path by phone, explain your situation, mention the bleeding, etc.

If only one hair graft is troublesome, it's not the end of the world however, I would recommend a checkup especially given that the grafts should have been secured around day 9.

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Bill

On day 14, it was like my body spat it out. I don't recall the circumstances that led up to the event but I recall looking in the mirror and it was quite large and there was a blood spot where my body rejected it. I applied presure to the spot and it stopped bleeding. It recall it looking like a really, really 'meaty' hair follicule. After I applied pressure, it stung for a while as well.

Today, day 17, I went to my GP doctor to get a prescription for Proscar and I wanted him to have a look at things. When I took my ball cap off, there were two more grafts in the recepient area. I said, "oh shit, my body is spitting out the grafts" and I asked him if this was normal. He said it is a very volitile area and that maybe that might happen but he didn't have a lot of experience with hair transplants.

Your thoughts?

J-Man,

I wouldn't expect your general practioner to have the answers to this. Please contact Dr. Pathomvanich ASAP and explain your problem and go to see him to evaluate your situation.

If he is not conveniently located, you may want to visit one of our Coalition physicians to evaluate you.

A hair transplant physician evaluation is going to be necessary to determine what is truly going on.

Stinging and bleeding is not typical or normal when transplanted hairs in themselves shed. Losing a graft may cause this, but without a physician evaluation, we will not be able to tell you why.

Keep us posted.

Bill

I don't know Dr. Path.'s post op directions, but did you start massaging the recipient area when shampooing after a week to help remove the scabs? They are basically dead tissues sitting on top of your head with little hairs attached. I'm getting the sense that you have not touched your recipient site since surgery.

No, the scabs are gone.

I have been bathing 3 times a day since day 2 after surgery. I pat soap on the sites gently, and they have been fine. By day 10 I had no scabs but just tissue stuck on the hairs. After day 10 I started massaging the reciepent site deliquately. Now, the recepeint site is free of both scabs and any other loose skin.

Hey J Man,

I am sorry to hear about your current situation. I would first agree with others to contact your doc ASAP. On the other hand I think Janna is onto something. Have you been too delicate with the recipient area. If you didn't wash the scabs off, this could be you body just shedding the hairs like it normally would at the 2-3 weeks mark, but since the scabs were still on your scalp its just taking those off at the same time causing bleeding. In the big picture your grafts are safe and you might not be loosing them, it may just appear that way. I am not a doctor but I hope this is whats happening.... Good luck.

You only live once...

Jman, Unfortunately at this point, even if your body was "rejecting" the HT, there's really nothing you can do. I realize a doctor's explanation will put your mind more at ease, so definitely don't stop bugging the doc until you get one that satisfies you. Try getting pics up if you can, but really the only thing you can do is sit tight and see how it grows. Also, losing 3 grafts in the grand scheme is no big deal...

Thank you everyone for your posts and words of support! I think I'm screwed and it appears that there are more that are loose as I look more closely!

I have found a doctor in Singapore, Dr. Eileen Tan, who does hair transplant surgery. She has office hours between 9-4pm on Saturdays.

Hopefully, she's not on holidays and I will be able to plead with her receptionist to get an appointment for tomorrow since it is now 12:00 midnight here.

I will keep you posted.

J-Man,

If you've really removed all your scabs and are now seeing actual grafts come out, then we've come across something that's never been heard of before. I hope you can get an appointment. Try not to worry. Hairthere is correct in the fact that there's not much you can do but wait for a doctor to make an evaluation. Our best to you.

From waht i understand shedding can occur anything from 2 weeks to around 2 months. Normally a couple of weeks though around 3 or 4 is more normal. Gets rarer the longer it goes on as far as im aware

Dude i sympathize with your situation. Was it only certain areas that were bleeding? I had alot of scabbing, really thick ugly scabs after my HT and it took a long time to remove them. I kept the area as moist as i could, some areas hurt and the scabs sort of disintergrated after a while with rubbing. I didnt notice bleeding with mine but 'some small' areas did hurt a little, not too much tho. There was a chance that some areas had bleeding but the scabs or dried skin may have coverd it. I don't think so tho and i hope not.

The hairs i shed DID have a buld on most and some were sort of bent over at the end. It can also be very stressful when you see the scabs come out with the hairs. All this is normal though and the whole follicle is the fat and tissue shit around the hair shaft. With me i was concerned cos the scabs can sometimes look like that.

"I recall it looking like a really, really 'meaty' hair follicule"... Was it when you removed the scabs? Could have been attatched scabbage that made it look like that. Bleeding isn't normaly great though, the grafts are 'apparently' set after 10 days though.

hope your ok man. I can't tell with me cos i'm only 2 months post op so bollux!

Lucky,

I am confused. Read the responses on this thread. I believe your questions have been answered unless we are misunderstanding you.

One does not shed a graft unless there is a problem. Only hairs are shed.

A follicular unit graft represents a group of hairs of 1s, s2, 3s, and 4s including the follicle.

If you lost a graft, this would be a problem, you would experience bleeding, and the hair will NOT grow back.

Make sense?

Bill