Pre-op preparation

Colibrus

I'm scheduled for a HT in 5 weeks from now. My doctor recommended repeated scalp stretching excercizes in the donor area, which I find difficult to do. Since I don't see much about this in the forum archives, I'd like some opinions on it's importance?

Colibrus,

Scalp exercises are what certain clinics recommend to patients who are looking to get a large number of grafts in a single session. These scalp exercises when done properly and consistently may help increase laxity to the scalp so a larger strip can be removed safely obtaining more follicular unit grafts. There is a great instructional on the Hasson and Wong website. Click here to view it.

Best wishes,

Bill

I used to think that scalp exercises were a bunch of nonsense. Now I am a BELIEVER though. A great example is the fellow we are doing today. He had a tight scalp to my feel about a month ago when he came in for a consult and I had him compress his scalp for 5 minutes before each meal, as if he were pinching out the strip. Today, it was a breeze to get out a 1.75cm strip and close it with no tension at all. I am absolutely sure that the exercises helped. And I have seen that repeatedly over the last 5 years since I have adopted the exercise regimen.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree with Dr. Lindsey

I did a transplant on a patient yesterday whom I was able to obtain 2500 grafts on a second session. His scalp was so tight on his first case that I was only able get 2150 grafts. I had recommended the scalp stretching exercises, but he did not do it for the first case. He had not the greatest density in the donor area is the reason for the low number; on the second session, he was very diligent about exercising his scalp and we got out 2500 grafts.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.