Dr Dow Stough

Stacey

Hello, I recently found some postings regarding Dr Dow Stough and questions regarding his procedure. I was disappointed to read that Pat, the administrator of this site was unaware of Dr Stough's reputation. Pat visited our office in 2002 and we were paying sponsors on his marketing site for many years before discontinuing service in 2005.

Anyway, I wanted to post some information regarding Dr Dow Stough and his background.

He has been practicing since 1987 and is recognized by his peers as one of the best hair transplant surgeons in the US.

Dr Stough recently published his second textbook, Hair Transplantation -Elsevier Health Publishing, and in the past 10 years has contributed chapters to over 15 textbooks, written more than 75 medical journal articles and presented countless talks to hair transplant surgeons, dermatologists and plastic surgeons regarding the Feathering Zone Technique.

One of the most important aspects when choosing a hair transplant surgeon is the trained staff assisting the physician, Dr Stough's technicians have been with him an average of 10 years with some employed as many as 15 years.

Dr. Stough's reputation precedes him and over 85% of his patients travel from out of state seeking his Feathering Zone technique in hair transplantation. This is also why Dr Stough's main source of patients come from physician referrals. For additional information please visit our website at (promotional link removed by moderator) or contact us directly at (#######)

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge

Hello, I recently found some postings regarding Dr Dow Stough and questions regarding his procedure. I was disappointed to read that Pat, the administrator of this site was unaware of Dr Stough's reputation. Pat visited our office in 2002 and we were paying sponsors on his marketing site for many years before discontinuing service in 2005.

Anyway, I wanted to post some information regarding Dr Dow Stough and his background.

He has been practicing since 1987 and is recognized by his peers as one of the best hair transplant surgeons in the US.

Dr Stough recently published his second textbook, Hair Transplantation -Elsevier Health Publishing, and in the past 10 years has contributed chapters to over 15 textbooks, written more than 75 medical journal articles and presented countless talks to hair transplant surgeons, dermatologists and plastic surgeons regarding the Feathering Zone Technique.

One of the most important aspects when choosing a hair transplant surgeon is the trained staff assisting the physician, Dr Stough's technicians have been with him an average of 10 years with some employed as many as 15 years.

Dr. Stough's reputation precedes him and over 85% of his patients travel from out of state seeking his Feathering Zone technique in hair transplantation. This is also why Dr Stough's main source of patients come from physician referrals. For additional information please visit our website at www.singlehair.com or contact us directly at 800-264-4247.

From the website---

Dr. Stough uses the following criteria for patient selection:

1) Baldness in at least the frontal 1/3 of the scalp.

2) Large amount of donor hair.

3) Similar hair and skin color.

4) Slight curl or wave in the hair.

5) Over 30 years old.

6) Realistic goal and expectations.

I think this criteria is a pretty good start for any HT patient. I like the fact that this information is right out in the open for perspective patients.

What I do not like is the outdated photos without graft counts, nor do I like the vague "methods" used as an example of how to do a hairtransplant.

Stacey, take a look around at the AMAZING and LIFE-ALTERING procedures that are being performed, and then look at your web-site. Dr. Stough may be a fine physician, but your website is doing him an injustice if indeed he is good as you are making him out to be. Post graft counts, pricing, and in-depth methodology used BY DR. STOUGH. Lastly, I think if you are going to post on the this site and laud a particular doctor, you should be able to produce some HIGH-RESOLUTION PHOTOS with detailed descriptions. We live in the information age, so the days of getting by with a smile and as little info to the patient are over. I say this for the benefit of all, if you can indeed supply us with many patients that exhibit the same level of expertise and care then members of this community will seek your clinic out. Otherwise......

Again, this just my opinion, and I welcome any opinions otherwise.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Well said B Spot! When I look at a Dr.'s website, I automatically make an initial judgment from just that. There are those whose sites are not that great but the physician is still highly regarded: Dr. Keen for instance. But, like B spot points out, that site can make a real difference in perceptions and patient awareness of the Dr.

• Administrators

Stacey,

As I mentioned in my email to you, I did not see Dr. Stough performing surgery when I was attending your workshop back in 2002. However, at that time, based on all the information I had I felt confindent that he and his staff were performing solid and ethical follicular unit grafting.

However, since that time I have seen virtually no posts regarding him or your clinic. I suspect that this is not a reflection on the quality of your work but on your lack of visibility online.

Thus my comment on this forum that Dr. Stough was well regarded by his peers but that his work was not well known by me or on our forum.

As I mentioned in my email to you, this forum is open to any patients or physicians. Thus I think it would be wise for you to post recent patient photos and encourage your patients to participate and share their results on this forum. I think updating your website is also important as the standards and expectations of patients have really risen in the past three years in particular.

I think such a process would be benifical for all.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

I am not going to air the problems I have with you on this forum, as I do not find it to be appropriate. We performed 5 surgeries that weekend and you have attended meetings where Dr Stough has presented patients and spoke, so if you personally are not familiar with his work I find that hard to believe.

Let's just move forward from here and I will do a better job of educating you on Dr Stough and his procedure. OK.

Originally posted by Stacey:

Pat,

I am not going to air the problems I have with you on this forum, as I do not find it to be appropriate. We performed 5 surgeries that weekend and you have attended meetings where Dr Stough has presented patients and spoke, so if you personally are not familiar with his work I find that hard to believe.

Let's just move forward from here and I will do a better job of educating you on Dr Stough and his procedure. OK.

"We performed..."? Stacey, does that mean you have multiple surgeons?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Pat,

Stacey, I am not sure where you are coming from here. To be honest if your Doc is this famous and well-known, you should possess an attitude of pride and sharing with this community. I could care less that you have a problem with Pat, or how he runs HIS forum. If Dr. Stough is worthy of being in the Coalition, Pat will put him there, period. What I am struggling with is your insistance on being here? If this is such a terrible, insidious operation, then go another route! I think by now we can all assume that when you posted you were ill-prepared and not ready for the level of patient response that exists on this forum. There isn't a person here that would have commented negatively on your post if your website was more detailed and displayed tremendous results. Additionally, members of this community would have welcomed you as a potential source of information, if you displayed a more caring and supportive attitude. The only reason I reserving judgement on the practice that employs you, is the fact that you are not Dr. Stough, so I would never say or do anything that would deprive the hairloss community of a potential top notch physician. With that said, the burden of proof is on you, and the doctor you represent.....

Remember, it was YOUR choice to post here, and it is your intent to share with this community.

I will continue to take a "wait and see" approach, and if proof is supplied to the satisfaction of all, I will be first in line to say that Dr. Stough should be considered as a viable option for potential candidates.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by the B spot:
Pat,

Stacey, I am not sure where you are coming from here. To be honest if your Doc is this famous and well-known, you should possess an attitude of pride and sharing with this community. I could care less that you have a problem with Pat, or how he runs HIS forum. If Dr. Stough is worthy of being in the Coalition, Pat will put him there, period. What I am struggling with is your insistance on being here? If this is such a terrible, insidious operation, then go another route! I think by now we can all assume that when you posted you were ill-prepared and not ready for the level of patient response that exists on this forum. There isn't a person here that would have commented negatively on your post if your website was more detailed and displayed tremendous results. Additionally, members of this community would have welcomed you as a potential source of information, if you displayed a more caring and supportive attitude. The only reason I am reserving judgement on the practice that employs you, is the fact that you are not Dr. Stough, so I would never say or do anything that would deprive the hairloss community of a potential top notch physician. With that said, the burden of proof is on you, and the doctor you represent.....

Remember, it was YOUR choice to post here, and it is your intent to share with this community.

I will continue to take a "wait and see" approach, and if proof is supplied to the satisfaction of all, I will be first in line to say that Dr. Stough should be considered as a viable option for potential candidates.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Previous Topic | Next Topic powered by groupee community

Please Wait. Your request is being processed...

[x]

SiteThe Hair Restoration Research Forum

Servleteve2da019

Version1.2.12 build 8551

ModuleForums 4.0.3

Stylesheet"Groupee Email Style"

Wordlet Set"Default Wordlet Set"

Logout: The Hair Restoration Research Forum

Update Groupee Account Reply

I am not sure what the problem is. We were part of the Coalition and we dropped our membership because it was not effective for us.I never said that this was a terrible forum.

I simply wanted the facts presented, that is why I told Pat to let's go forward and I will do a better job of getting our information out.

I will forward some before and after photos and contact some of our patients to join in the forum as well.

I am sorry that I have been preceived as uncaring and non-supportive. That is not my intention.

• Administrators

Stacey,

Just for the record, Dr. Stough was never a member of the Coalition. However in the past he was a sponsor of the Hair Transplant Network.

Again, feel free to invite your patients to share their stories and photos on this open and free forum. Some leading physicians choose to support this community and others do not. But all are welcome on this forum.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Originally posted by Stacey:

Pat,

Stacey,

The purpose of this forum is to educate participants on hair loss, along with information provided with respect to hair loss prevention and restoration.

I would welcome the opportunity to see some of Dr. Stough's work as I'm sure would others here. If he is in fact a quality surgeon this should be evidenced by the results. Please post what you have and I'll give you my honest opinion.

To date....................all I really feel I've seen is your bosses resume with a link to the website.......this seems self-serving to me. The above quoted post, IMO, should have been PM'd to Pat as it's not helping a soul. If you have issues about the past, take them up with him.

As I said before, I'd be interested in seeing some of Dr. Stoughs recent work if you'd like to post the pics. Lets move past this thread.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 7 years later...
From the website---

Dr. Stough uses the following criteria for patient selection:

1) Baldness in at least the frontal 1/3 of the scalp.

2) Large amount of donor hair.

3) Similar hair and skin color.

4) Slight curl or wave in the hair.

5) Over 30 years old.

6) Realistic goal and expectations.

I think this criteria is a pretty good start for any HT patient. I like the fact that this information is right out in the open for perspective patients.

What I do not like is the outdated photos without graft counts, nor do I like the vague "methods" used as an example of how to do a hairtransplant.

Stacey, take a look around at the AMAZING and LIFE-ALTERING procedures that are being performed, and then look at your web-site. Dr. Stough may be a fine physician, but your website is doing him an injustice if indeed he is good as you are making him out to be. Post graft counts, pricing, and in-depth methodology used BY DR. STOUGH. Lastly, I think if you are going to post on the this site and laud a particular doctor, you should be able to produce some HIGH-RESOLUTION PHOTOS with detailed descriptions. We live in the information age, so the days of getting by with a smile and as little info to the patient are over. I say this for the benefit of all, if you can indeed supply us with many patients that exhibit the same level of expertise and care then members of this community will seek your clinic out. Otherwise......

Again, this just my opinion, and I welcome any opinions otherwise.

I went to Dow Stough 3 or 4 times. My results did not look natural at all and my donor area has been very embarrassing to me. I use to get comments like"your hair does not look right but I don't know what it is".

I knew his father, a pioneer, and Dow did learn how to transplant a graft and he writes books on it. In my opinion to be able to write a book is not the same as executing a skill.

Sorry, I never took pictures but my doc doing the repairs knows what donor scars are. I think there are much better choices and I never thought Dow Stough really cared about my outcome. This is my opinion of my experiences at the Stoug:(h Clinic in Hot Springs, AK.

Dr. Stough's reputation precedes him and over 85% of his patients travel from out of state seeking his Feathering Zone technique in hair transplantation. This is also why Dr Stough's main source of patients come from physician referrals. For additional information please visit our website at www.singlehair.com or contact us directly at 800-264-4247.

Stacey, if Dow was so renowned why must you feel the need advertise for him?

You are his office manager if I remember.

Ethically...you will not find a better surgeon the Dr Stough. I wish I would have went to his office when I was 18 because he would have told me to GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE! I think he was a very early pioneer in the field. I think he is VERY conservative( but that's not always a bad thing).

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website