Picking a Doctor - Lot's of good ones here...

I'm continuing this post from an old one since I feel the topic has shifted now that I'm close-

I've since met with and/or had phone consults with a wide array of doctors (total of 9!)

Many great doc's but I had to narrow it down. I feel I've got that list down to 3 great ones. Reed, Shapiro and Epstein. I'm leaning toward Shapiro but I'm waiting to speak in person with a few people and see more pics (they're still updating their 8 year old website...)

I'd love to hear from you. Especially if you have FISTHAND experience. Details are appreciated and links to photos or blogs are great. Please try to keep comments tactful. If you want you can email me personally.

Getting excited...

Check out My Hair Loss WebLog

Norwood Class 4 (I think)

Propecia (since '95 or so)

Rogaine (since '93 or so)

One HT

Yep! Shapiro is GREAT!

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

To follow up again HK500. Quite a few of the docs I met/consulted with were fantastic. So the decision comes down to a lot of other factors, some are simply personal. First and foremost - I need tom maintain my 'look' as much as possible so I'm looking at doctors who have most of their experience doing HT's with hair in place (no shaving). Other thoughts were density and # of grafts in relation to danger of 'shock loss' and having a very clear plan. (On this note it seems two HTs are inevitable for me.) Also considered: experience/training, respect in industry (docs that use THEM, seminars they've done, etc.) amount/quality and availability of before/after shots as well as peoples blogs. I'm sure I'm forgetting things but you get the idea.

I started with a list of ten questions for docs, that's grown to 24...

Cheers, J (from la la land)

Check out My Hair Loss WebLog

Norwood Class 4 (I think)

Propecia (since '95 or so)

Rogaine (since '93 or so)

One HT

Hi J, La La Land,

Great to hear how thorough you are. I also did not want to shave which was easier to achieve due to my low transplant count and it's correct that it limits somewhat the density that the surgeon feels is safe to reach without compromising too much the existing hairs. It looks like I'll be getting a final touch up which should get me to the density I am looking for, then it should be over, no more HT for me. Let me know when and who you decide on, for my part I'll be going back to Dr Siporin for this final touch. It's nice to see how well you are using the resources available on the Forum to make your decision, you will get great results.

All the best,

HK

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LaLa-- Glad to see you made your choice and I look forward to seeing your transformation.

Please feel free to contact me if you need anything.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

i did not go to shapiro but i will say i am very impressed by his work and he was in my top 5 choices. best of luck to you!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

First and foremost - I need to maintain my 'look' as much as possible so I'm looking at doctors who have most of their experience doing HT's with hair in place (no shaving).

I recently had a great experience with Dr. Bernstein in which he did not shave my recipient area.

See my blog; I was able to look 'normal' within two weeks (once I could comb the recipient area). My remaining hair stayed and acted as very god camoflauge. No one (even my kids) has noticed my HT.

I'm now almost 6 weeks post-HT and still have most of my original hair. I understand that shock loss might still occur, but for now I am mane-taming icon_smile.gif

Best of luck.