Vaseline in Hair

Hi,

I just joined this site and I find it to be very informative. This is difficult for me to post this question because number one I am a female who had a scalp reduction one week ago. I know most of you have reservations about scalp reductions, but mine went great and it covered up 90% of the bald area so I am very pleased. I have established a long term rapport with my plastic surgeon so no I did not go through any of the doctors on this site.

My questions is my doctor had to put vaseline in my hair to prevent any infection to my scalp. I have researched removing vaseline on the website and did the cornstarch and dawn detergent shampoo without any success, 2x. My hair is greasy and i have to return to work in a week. My doctor said to just shampoo it with johnsons baby shampoo and the greasiness should come out in a few weeks. In the meantime, I am embarrassed with my hair looking the way it is. Any suggestions or experience with removal of vaseline in the hair would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is soo long, but I am very upset and emotional about this. icon_frown.gif Thank you for reading this. I wish all of you the success in you hair endeavors.

So your doctor recommended a petroluem based product to prevent infection? That strikes me as odd, simply because Vaseline would tend to lock in infection, as opposed to cleasing the scalp and then applying some type of oil,or lotion (emu? perhaps?) I would have to say that you need to keep washing your head continually, but be mindful of your closure, as you do not want to irritate it further.

Could you perhaps post your age and what specifically determined your eligibility for a scalp reduction? The clinic or surgeon who preformed the surgery?

I have to confess that I am amazed that anyone would even perform scalp reductions as the FIRST recourse to treating your baldness.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and please continue to monitor the board and educate yourself.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Well strip surgery is scalp reduction too in a way - just in the area where there is hair instead of the bald area.

You could wash your hair with antiseptic hand-cleaner gel, the stuff car mechanics use... it gets rid of grease and oil.

B... aren't antibacterial (First Aid) ointments white petrolatum? Maybe that is what she means by vaseline.

sheltee... you better do what your surgeon suggest. A scalp reduction is out of most of our experience.

However, the vaseline should come out after a couple/few washings with baby shampoo. But, not until you completely stop using it. And, don't be placing any other detergents or other crap on your head until your doc gives you the okay. May I ask... didn't the dawn soap burn like heck! Who told you to so that?

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'