Rogaine Post op for faster growth?

IMO, at the end of the day, the grafts are going to start coming in at the 3-5 month and the full results are achieved at around 12 months; there is no scientific proof that minoxidil promotes faster graft growth; it may help marginally; it definitely won't hurt; it is worth a try and some people feel it helped promote faster growth;

It is my understanding that the post op Rogaine may possibly jump start the growth of the native hair and not the new graft hair.

I plan to start Rogaine post op to possibly increase the rate of growth of the native hair which was shaved peior to the procedure.

My only concern is that with some redness still present 13 days pre-op, will the Rogaine slow down the normalizing of the redness? I never had any itching or side effects with the Rogaine foam prior to HT.

Dr. Feller advised me to start the Rogaine 14 days post op and use my discretion to discontinue or slow down its use if any side effects occur.

HeHateMe,

As you can tell from the above vposts, the information related to Rogaine jump starting early transplanted hair growth is ambiguous at this time. Some physician's swear by it while other's don't believe it. But Dhoose75 is right, the data is anecdotal at best.

In my opinion, it won't hurt to use it to see if you experience any benefit from it however, it is not necessary for the transplanted hairs to grow.

Keep in mind however, that if you do experience any new natural hair growth with Rogaine and you choose to stop using the medication, any natural hair gained will be lost.

Best wishes in restoring your hair,

Bill