Propecia can interfer with Prostate cancer screening/tests

• Administrators

All those on this community who use Propecia/Finasteride should be aware of the news that according to a recent article in the Los Angeles Times -

"The hair-loss drug Propecia interferes with the most commonly used test for prostate cancer, causing inaccurate readings that can mask the presence of the disease, researchers reported Monday. . . The effect could mean that a safe reading on a PSA test could in fact be false, said Dr. David Quinn, a medical oncologist at the University of Southern California."

In addition - "Dr. Roehrborn said other drugs in this class, known as 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, will affect PSA tests in a similar way."

Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men, with about 230,000 cases expected in 2006, according to the American Cancer Society.

But on a good note, they say that Propecia can potentially also inhibit the enlargement of the prostate.

Best wishes for healthy hair and prostates, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

All those on this community who use Propecia/Finasteride should be aware of the news that according to a recent article in the Los Angeles Times -

"The hair-loss drug Propecia interferes with the most commonly used test for prostate cancer, causing inaccurate readings that can mask the presence of the disease, researchers reported Monday. . . The effect could mean that a safe reading on a PSA test could in fact be false, said Dr. David Quinn, a medical oncologist at the University of Southern California."

In addition - "Dr. Roehrborn said other drugs in this class, known as 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, will affect PSA tests in a similar way."

Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men, with about 230,000 cases expected in 2006, according to the American Cancer Society.

But on a good note, they say that Propecia can potentially also inhibit the enlargement of the prostate.

Best wishes for healthy hair and prostates, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

That's some good information, Pat. Obviously if you're going in for an exam you should tell the Doc you're taking Propecia.

Any other tests that can be done in addition to a PSA test to further determine the possibility of prostate cancer for those taking Propecia?? Anyone know?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

It has been a long time since I have posted on the website, having observed and shared with our friends up her in New England!!!!

The comparison outlined here is a double edged sword, yes, medical research has indicated finasteride may reduce prostate cancer. At the same time finasteride may mask the results from a PSA test, according to my physician reducing the PSA level test result by up to 50%. The bottom line it is good and bad, go for a complete workup from your primary doc and urologist.

TMAN