I'm losing hope, some advice from anyone please.

Anonymous

I'm starting to give up in hoping that the hair I've lost will come back.. even with all the meds I'm taking... and I'm 21..its the hardest thing to lose hair at a young age when everyone else around you isn't even worried about it. And I realize my dad has had hair loss as well but not this early.

I've also given consideration into getting a HT done on my front hairline but the thing is I'm scared. I'm scared of how it will turn out and also how much more my current hairline will recede. I'm afraid I won't be able to keep tabs on how much I'm receding if I can't even see past my newly transplanted hairline.

And I'm also scared of waiting to see how much more hair I"ll lose. It's getting harder and harder to make my hairloss seem unnoticable and I find myself wearing a cap a lot more often these days. I feel like a fool always wearing a cap to class and to work.

So I guess I'm asking again what I can add to my regimen.. I'm currently taking zinc, msm, minoxidil 2% and proscar.. (although I've paused on the proscar for a bit in hopes to "shock my system". For shampoo I'm using baby shampoo but am giving consideration in switching to Nizoral 2%).

Any help appreciated...

Regimen: 5% Minoxidil twice a day (morning and night) on front hairline, Proscar (broken into 5 pieces) one piece every night. MSM 1000 Mg, Zinc 30 Mg, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamin.

Baby Shampoo for showering.

Anonymous, no situation is hopeless. If I understand your post, you have not had a ht. My advice to you would be to consult with a reputable ht Dr. such as recommended on this site. Only a reputable Dr. can assess your condition and advise you of your options, whether they be hair loss drugs or a possible ht. Don't give up hope. There's a lot help and hope on this site. Good luck. Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, my internet access is limited. I've seen a reputable doctor last summer.. Dr. Feller in NY, he only said to me that I was still too young to have a HT on my front hairline and that my recession would continue even after the HT. He said I would end up chasing the recession because he can't tell how much farther I'll recede plus the fact that I may even lose more hair on my current hairline due to the shock of getting a HT done. In any case, can you guys suggest anything that I can add to my regimen?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regimen: 5% Minoxidil twice a day (morning and night) on front hairline, Proscar (broken into 5 pieces) one piece every night. MSM 1000 Mg, Zinc 30 Mg, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamin.

it looks like you are taking all the right steps. You are also, seeking the right advise and not jumping into a HT. Which sounds like it could be more harm than help at your stage.

I could only wish I took the steps and approach your taking.

I would look into concealer. This could help you buy time. If you only have a receading look, well that's realy nothing. It's just a more mature look. Frankly, when all I had was a receading look, before all hell broke loose. I liked the look. And noone ever gave it a second thought.

Good luck... Just don't let the carriage get ahead of the horse.

I have read the posts on interupting medical treatment (finasteride) to shock the system. This concept has no basis in fact that I am aware of. DHT is poison to the hair follicle. Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar) help to decrease DHT or block testoserone from converting to DHT. If you interupt your regular treatment then it stands to reason that your DHT levels increase therefore so will hair loss. Really do some research on this.

The Nizoral can only help. It acts in a similar way to minoxidil in acting like a fertilizer. You can buy the over the counter 1% and leave it on for a 5 minute absorbtion the follow it with a volumizing shampoo to mazimize what you have.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Anonymous,

Perhaps a concealer would be a good idea to get you by for a while. They can be highly effective and unnoticeable under the right conditions. No, they are not as ideal as real hair, but they can certainly buy you some time. Take a look at this thread.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

i would suggest not using nizoral. i have a bottle and right before my HT my doc told me the stuff doesnt really work, and it really really dries out your hair.

i would recommend trying a new hair style, maybe a buzz (if you have a good shaped head).

the meds you are using should be enough, but i would stop the zinc. there is no proof that stuff stops hair loss.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

I think the Nizoral 2% is worth a shot and don't dismiss until you try it for a while.

I started it 2 months back (mostly from what I read here & Robert)and it might be too soon to see results but I think it is helping.(eps.the crown)

If you aren't shinny bald then I think you should add it to your over-all routine.

As far as the dryness just use a good conditioner.I leave the Niz on for a little over 5 mins.,then follow with a green tea or emu oil conditioner.Leave the conditioner on for about 3 mins.or so afterwards.You will be amazed.

I also like the the copper spray Tricomin & the shampoo.I alternate the Nioxin,tricomin,grn tea shampoo on the off Niz days.

Use the Tricomin spray everyday.(it is expensive)But this routine some vitamins(B6,E,C,mega-man,L-Lysine,Argin.(alt),msm and Propecia)I also eat healthy (low fat for the most part)add soy and drink a fair amount of grn.tea.

I am seeing results where the crown is filling in(loss of hair has almost halted esp.in the shower)

Just waiting for the 2k+ grafts on the frontal By Dr.Shapiro to show up.About at the 3 mnth mark. Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate how helpful everyone on this forum is. So far, I haven't been able to find Nizoral 2% shampoo, I've checked cvs, walmart...I've been able to find regular Nizoral though, but it doesn't say 2 percent on it. Is it the same thing? Do you guys know where they might sell Nizoral 2 %?

Also, I'm really running out of hairstyles that I can getaway with.. My temples have receded immensely. This is why I refuse to use any sort of concealer, when my hair looks ok, I start getting lazy and begin to lay off the rogaine and proscar. advice to anyone new using rogaine and proscar, once you start, NEVER stop. big mistake because just 2 weeks without taking it, my temples have lost a lot of the hair that was gained with the rogaine. I was born with a high hairline, i just look weird when i cut my hair short, which is why I always have it mid length (around the eyes). But even this is hard to style, my hair on my front hairline looks so thin these days and its not even thick enough to conceal my forehead. I don't know if you can envision, but yet again, it looks weird. So should I really stop using baby shampoo? That's the only thing I can think of changing in trying to improve my regimen. Anyone know where I can get nizoral 2% from? Also, can anyone else recommend the Tricomin Spray that Greg P has mentioned?

And again, this is my regimen: 5% minoxidil twice each day (4 hours in between), zinc 30 mg, MSM 1000 mg, proscar before going to sleep and johnson's baby shampoo when washing my hair.

If you feel I should add something else to my regimen, please suggest anything.

again, thanks for all the advice

Nizoral 2% is only available by prescription. If you are unsure about adding it, try the 1% that is available OTC first 3 times per week to gauge how your hair handles it. It can have a very drying effect and this can seem detrimental cosmetically at first. A great way to combat this is to follow it up with a great conditioner. I use Nioxin Actives Scalp Therapy for no other reason but that I think it has a great cosmetic effect of thickening and it leaves my hair feeling soft. You may want to try it out to see what works for you. I use the Nioxin Actives Cleanser as a shampoo to alternate with the Nizoral.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog