Not going bald but still wondering...

Hi, I have a question, and was wandering if anyone could help me answering it. I am still young in my early twenties, and as far as I can tell I am not going bold. That doesn't change the fact that I have a very high hairline with receded sides. It's always been like that, and I've come to accept it, because I thought there is nothing I can do about it. This changed after I found out about hair transplants. My question is if hair transplants can be used to lower the hairline of a person who's not going bald? After all it would go where it has never been meant to grow? Also would anyone be able to estimate the cost of such surgery? I believe I would need around 3 to 4 square inches transplanted, with average density. Thanks for help.

Hi, I have a question, and was wandering if anyone could help me answering it. I am still young in my early twenties, and as far as I can tell I am not going bold. That doesn't change the fact that I have a very high hairline with receded sides. It's always been like that, and I've come to accept it, because I thought there is nothing I can do about it. This changed after I found out about hair transplants. My question is if hair transplants can be used to lower the hairline of a person who's not going bald? After all it would go where it has never been meant to grow? Also would anyone be able to estimate the cost of such surgery? I believe I would need around 3 to 4 square inches transplanted, with average density. Thanks for help.

Yes you could do it, and it would work. The cost should be the same as for a "regular" HT, which varies a lot by surgeon.

It can be done but there could be a problem.

IF you start to bald it will look very un-natural to have a line of hair in front & then nothing behind it.

Check your family history and see if anyone from your mother or fathers side is bald. The gene can skip generations.

That was also my thought - that if I indeed start to go bold in the future it would look unnatural. My line of thinking is the following though, if I start going bold in the future I would opt for transplants at that time anyway. So starting now doesn't make a difference.

Rahl,

Just don't go "insane" and bring your hair line down to that of a 18 year old. It will look unnatural also. You want to have a natural male "recessed" look. Not that of a womens hair line.

• 2 months later...

Rahl im 23 and about two years ago couldnt help but realize my hairline recceding... nothing since then no thinning or anything.... ive been researching for the last year and in a relatively short time learned alot (i suggest you do the same) but anyway how old are you and did i read your post correctly when you said you've never noticed recession??? anyway ask the veterans and surgeons and please feel free to keep posting and maybe we can both learn from each others expierences..... thanx for listening .. Ibrahim.

I did do quite a lot of research since my last post - and I finally scheduled an appointment for my first consultation next week. I am 22 yrs old, and yes - I never noticed recession or thinning (my hairline looks the same when I compare it with my pictures from years ago) - I guess I just had a bad luck of inheritting a high hairline, including recessions at the temples (from the pictures I can tell both my grandparents had the same problem - but luckiliy neither went bald). Why even bother with the transplant if I'm not thinning or going bald? I guess I'm just tired of being restricted to a certain "masking" haircut. Also my high hairline doesn't look good with my rounded forehead - in other words I look much better from front than from profile, and it's really annoying. I already decided that follicular transplantation is the way to go - no point in saving money on something so important. I found two places relatively close where I live that specialize in follicular transplantation - and I'm going to one of them this week - hopefully to hear good news. Thanks for reading my original post.

Rahl..

Thanx for the reply and find out as much as you can and weight your options carefully.... i've been on a few consultations and the surgeons all warned of the possible implcations and i respected their honesty some surgeons were too quick to get me in surgery which turned me off once i saw their hussle.... i know ultimately the choice is mine and mine only, but get as many opinions as possible and continue following up on reading.... please let me know how your visits with the surgeons go and continue sharing your thoughts with me and I promise to do the same....

Ibrahim....

Read the "Best Procedure" part of this website: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Best_hair_transplant_procedure/index.asp

Ask if they use only Follicular Unit grafts, that are dissected under a microscope.

Ask if you can see a procedure being performed (if you are interested).

Ask if you should use medication like Propecia, either with or instead of surgery.

Ask if you might lose hair from shock fallout, after the surgery. If they say it definitely won't happen, can they guarantee that in writing?

Ask if they can give you a hairline that will still look natural in 30 years.

Ask if you can see patients of theirs, in person. Not just a guy who happens to work there.

• 2 weeks later...

yo man if your only 22 i would hold off...man i'm 30 and didn't start losing my hair seriously until a year ago. like most guys, though, i thought it would stop & it didn't..

i would wait until you hit at LEAST your mid to late twenties before you get SURGERY! if you still have all your hair by then. if your hairline starts to shrink back then go on propecia. i wish that's what i did at 29, i'd have nothing to worry about now. i lost JUST ENOUGH hair so that i can't wear it like i want...be patient man..

there's always the bald head option icon_biggrin.gif works for me

• 2 years later...