Buying generic proscar on insurance plan

Marko Ramius

A couple questions...

If I buy the generic proscar, and I use my insurance, will it somehow go on my record that I have been diagnosed with BPH, and how could this affect me in the future, when applying for insurance, etc.? Obviously, I do not have BPH, so I have no desire for that to be on my record.

Basically, I'm wondering if it could come back to bite me in the ass later on.

If I don't buy it on the insurance plan, roughly how much can I expect to spend?

Also, what is the shelf-life for this stuff? If I buy like a year's supply, will it still retain its efficacy? I could probably look this up myself...

A couple questions...

If I buy the generic proscar, and I use my insurance, will it somehow go on my record that I have been diagnosed with BPH, and how could this affect me in the future, when applying for insurance, etc.? Obviously, I do not have BPH, so I have no desire for that to be on my record.

Basically, I'm wondering if it could come back to bite me in the ass later on.

If I don't buy it on the insurance plan, roughly how much can I expect to spend?

Also, what is the shelf-life for this stuff? If I buy like a year's supply, will it still retain its efficacy? I could probably look this up myself...

Marko,

What "record" are you referring to? If a physician prescribes you Proscar for hair loss, they very well know that you don't have BPH and therefore won't put it in your file.

From what I've seen however, insurance companies are getting stricter about covering medication like Proscar without an additional note from a physician stating that it's for BPH. Most insurance companies won't cover it if they know you are using Proscar to stop hair loss.

You can always try to see if your insurance company will cover it, but you may just be better off paying the $80 yourself. After all, it will last you about 4 months as opposed to the $200+ you'd have to pay for Propecia every 3 months.

Best wishes,

Bill

Marko-

Regardless of whether your Proscar Rx goes through insurance or private pay, BPH should not go on your record. Bill is right about insurance coverage for hairloss use - it won't (or shouldn't) be covered.

I simply presented my Rx 6 months ago to my pharmacy and my insurance covered it. Maybe they did not question its use because I'm well into my 40's. If they ever ask, of course I'll tell them what I'm using it for and the days of $5 Proscar will be over.

BPH should only go on your record if it is diagnosed and documented.

I also do not think BPH is one of those "red flags" that insurance companies look at when considering an increase in your rates.

Although I could be wrong...

Every PBM or prescribion drug plan is different. Some will pay for Propecia, some generic with co-pays, and some not at all unless you have BPH. If BPH then 100% of plans usually cover either branded or generic. If you have insurance it is worth running it through you pharmacists (best odds is 5mg which is used in BPH patients)

• 2 weeks later...