Hey all, This is a great site! Im thinking about getting a HT. I have question on the number of grafts it may take to achieve what im looking for. From all the pictures I have seen on this site it will take alot more then 1200 to achieve my goals.

But I came across Dr. Quatela who is very close to where I live in NY and on his site he has some very impressive results with 1200 FU grafts. It seems to good to be true.I will attach a picture of someone who has very similiar hairloss as me. The pics are from Dr. Quatela site and the results are amazing to me that only 1200 grafts could do this.

Any thoughts on this doctor or if results like this are typical?

Thank you!

1200_grafts_3_session_Dr_Quatela.jpg.44459991a471af7e6042f69b1ecbf009.jpg

Hey all, This is a great site! Im thinking about getting a HT. I have question on the number of grafts it may take to achieve what im looking for. From all the pictures I have seen on this site it will take alot more then 1200 to achieve my goals.

But I came across Dr. Quatela who is very close to where I live in NY and on his site he has some very impressive results with 1200 FU grafts. It seems to good to be true.I will attach a picture of someone who has very similiar hairloss as me. The pics are from Dr. Quatela site and the results are amazing to me that only 1200 grafts could do this.

Thank you!

Thank you for joining us on this forum. That is a great result on the crown area from 1200 FUs. Did the man in the photo achieve this with one session of 1200 FUs or 3 sessions of 1200 FUs?

The link for the photo says 3 session. Im not sure if that is implying the 3rd pic from the site you got it from or the number of sessions he recieved. If it was accomplished with one session of 1200 FUs that is indeed a great result.

You have come to the right place. I do not know much about Dr. Quatela but he should be a safe pick because he is one of the coalition doctors. Im sure there are many on this forum that can give you feedback on Dr. Quatela. This forum is a great start and many members are on here to help others. Before making the decision learn as much as you can about the HT industry. Take your time making a decision and you will find yourself leaps and bounds from where you started. Never let location be a factor when choosing a HT Doctors. Most Docs will offer a discount for those traveling, pick up the hotel tab or pay for the flight. Getting an HT is a life decision. Repeat to yourself several times..I Will NOT LET LOCATION BE A FACTOR. Good luck!!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Greg,

Welcome to the forums. First I want to correct hairfree on one thing...Dr. Quatela is NOT one of the coalition doctors...just FYI. A link to the coalition doctors can always be found in the top left hand corner of this website and here is the direct link: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

A few comments: Typically if something appears to be too good to be true, it probably is...I do not believe this particular surgery is only 1200 grafts. However, a few things you can observe by the photos:

1. The pictures are taken at different angles. The first had his head tilted further back which will reveal more of a bald area than the second pic where his head is tilted forward

2. Angle and lighting is a HUGE factor in how a picture turns out. Pictures taken in brighter light from that angle will expose more baldness in the crown...which you can tell the first picture is taken under brighter lights whereas the second one is not.

Generally speaking...pictures can be extremely deceiving sometimes. Unfortunately, many doctor's sites use these deceptive photos to promise the world and under-deliver. I don't anything particular about this doctor, however, I can tell you for certain that 1200 grafts on a crown like that will NOT give you the results you are hoping for. I would estimate more like 4000-5000 grafts would be needed to give decent density and coverage.

You are better off selecting a coalition doctor...if you are in NY, think of Dr. Feller, Dr. True, Dr. Dorin, or Dr. Bernstein. BUT, Hairfree is right about location...do not let location determine who you ultimately go to see. Research is extremely important...don't go on the clinic's website alone.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Oops..my mistake. I didn't realize that the coalition doctors were listed somewhere else other than the surgeon list from the main page.

Thank you Bill for pointing that out for me as well!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

As my illustrious colleagues have mentioned, those pics are NOT 1,200 grafts. No way no how. Having said that, I'd believe that they're bad pictures of 3,600 grafts (3 x 1,200).

The restoration looks done well, it's just that the graft number's in question. And, to stress once again: LOCATION DOES NOT MATTER. If you have to travel to Siberia in a sled pulled by 12 wild dogs to work with a good surgeon rather than with an average one across the street from your house, buy a parka & snow shoes because it'll be worth it icon_wink.gif

GREG, I just finished my 3rd transplant. My last session consisted of 1000 FUT on the crown just as the patient in the picture. These are great results! Remember, if your donor hairs are thick then your recipient area will receive greater coverage. If your donor hairs are fine then you probably won't see this kind of coverage. Good luck

CJS,

Got pictures? Of course since this is your third surgery of 1000 grafts, showing before/after pictures should be either from your your 2nd to 3rd surgery, or all your results should be shown with a graft (hair too if you have them) breakdown so we can see them all next to each other.

No matter how course or thick one's hair is, 1200 grafts could not give this type of coverage and appearance of density in this large an area. Though camera and lighting tricks could have done some wonderful magic here.

Bill

Originally posted by Greg7711:

Thank you!

No way that picture is "true," meaning with only 1200 grafts and light tricks. Maybe if he used 4500 grafts.

Greg-

Nothing to add but I will reiterate what has been said........no way that pic depicts 1200 grafts. I'd recommend you look at my hair loss blog attached to my signature block, I had similar crown loss, had more than 3000 grafts placed there, have fairly dense hair, and likely received about the same coverage as the person in the picture.

As has been said, stick with the Coalition Surgeons recommended here and don't let location determine who you choose. Most will give you the plane ticket and a 2-night hotel stay or credit you in grafts for it so it's not that big a concern.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey guys thanks for the welcome. Well I thought 1200 fu was to good to be true. I really want to do something about my hair but theres no way I want to spend $15000 to $ 20000 on this. IM just looking to get some coverage in the back and a little on the hair line for now and get on propecia. I would be happy to thicking the rest up with toppik and or courv'e for the time being until my financing gets in order. I have attached some pics that i took today of my hairloss situation. These are before and after pics of my toppik and courve routine. I dont know why I took the toppik pics but this shit has been a life saver for me. Any you guys care to guess how many fu I may need to get what im looking for? Thank you!

toppikpics_copy.jpg.51c98ff83cb6dd112d8ec9c46a7eddb2.jpg

I understand your predicament, Greg. Yes, HT's are very expensive. Keep it in prospective though as the HT hair will be with you for life icon_smile.gif.

1200 grafts mixed between your crown and hairline is very, very few. Take a look at my blog at the first set of comparison pics for reference. They are before/after 1200 grafts in the frontal 1/3 and midscalp. I had existing diffused thinning hair and it did thicken it but it was still thin. Just trying to give you honest feedback! It may provide you enough to keep a decent look with toppik and courve...............quite frankly, I'm amazed at what your pictures appear to depict. Have you ever been busted? Sometimes those things CAN look super, but in certain lighting I've heard horror stories.

Hope this helps,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey hairbank...I checked your blog, very impressive results you must be thrilled!

I have never been busted but who really knows if people are just biting their tongue. Quick question on donor scar...how short can I keep my hair in the donor area...I like to keep it at 1/2 inch buzz cut now...would that be sufficient hair to cover?

Thanks for the vote of confidence about the HT icon_cool.gif. Truth be known, I've considered (am considering) another session for hairline/templework and additional density everywhere. The trouble with the results produced nowdays is that when you know you CAN have a certain result (and have the donor), it's tough not to justify going for it icon_smile.gif!

Donor scar.............a lot of this depends on how well you heal. The latest closure method call trychophytic donor closure lets your hair grow through the scar....usually they're paper thin. My guess........you "probably" can clip down to 1/2" safely but any further and you may see a hint of a scar. More likely, as I have noticed with my HT, if I go below 1/2" there's a slight "cowlick" on the lower part of the scar but you really can't see a scar......make sense? If you keep your hair 3/4"-1" I doubt anyone has an issue at all.

Best of luck to you....

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog