Can a Norwood 5A crown be covered?

hepcat

Looks like I am a Norwood 5a. I am interested in hearing from others who've had their front and crown worked on. How many FUs and are you happy with results? What can I expect given that I believe I have a great supply of donor hair. Thanks - Hepcat

Looks like I am a Norwood 5a. I am interested in hearing from others who've had their front and crown worked on. How many FUs and are you happy with results? What can I expect given that I believe I have a great supply of donor hair. Thanks - Hepcat

If you are nw5a and under 35 years old, dont expect dense full results. My opinion go consevative with your hairline and more for coverage, you have less options for a HT than most. I have seen nw5's turn out really nice however.

If you even decide to have a HT, be realistic.

Good Luck

NW

Whether any one individual is happy with their results depends a lot on expectations and their age. For example, I am a NW6 (probably) and have had 2100 grafts. The coverage is thin, which is fine for me at age 51, but would probably not make a 30 year old happy at all. I'm sure doctors have to deal with this problem all the time, regardless of how good they are. If you have a good donor supply you will probably do better than I did, but if you expect the density you had at age 18, you will never be happy.

Whether any one individual is happy with their results depends a lot on expectations and their age. For example, I am a NW6 (probably) and have had 2100 grafts. The coverage is thin, which is fine for me at age 51, but would probably not make a 30 year old happy at all. I'm sure doctors have to deal with this problem all the time, regardless of how good they are. If you have a good donor supply you will probably do better than I did, but if you expect the density you had at age 18, you will never be happy.

Hepcat

The crown area in a non-balding person has MORE density than their donor area. Think about that.

I've also read that when transplanting the crown, you should expect to need twice as many grafts to get the same type of coverage you would get in the front and top. In the front you can take advantage of the hair "shingling" effect, where the hairs lay on top of each other and add coverage. In the crown area, the hair goes in multiple directions and the shingling effect is not really a big factor.

That's why many doctors think it is a mistake to start a transplant by working on the crown first... the crown requires tons of donor hair. Donor hair that you will probably need later in the front, just to look normal as you continue to lose hair.

It is more realistic to expect a bare crown (bald spot) or a very sparse coverage of donor hair in the crown. If you luck out and can have more than a "dusting" of hair in the crown, you should consider yourself extremely lucky.

Also, use preventative medicine like Propecia to make sure that your hair loss doesn't progress to a level 7. Stopping the progression is very important.

Hepcat

The crown area in a non-balding person has MORE density than their donor area. Think about that.

I've also read that when transplanting the crown, you should expect to need twice as many grafts to get the same type of coverage you would get in the front and top. In the front you can take advantage of the hair "shingling" effect, where the hairs lay on top of each other and add coverage. In the crown area, the hair goes in multiple directions and the shingling effect is not really a big factor.

That's why many doctors think it is a mistake to start a transplant by working on the crown first... the crown requires tons of donor hair. Donor hair that you will probably need later in the front, just to look normal as you continue to lose hair.

It is more realistic to expect a bare crown (bald spot) or a very sparse coverage of donor hair in the crown. If you luck out and can have more than a "dusting" of hair in the crown, you should consider yourself extremely lucky.

Also, use preventative medicine like Propecia to make sure that your hair loss doesn't progress to a level 7. Stopping the progression is very important.

hepcat,

best of luck to you. I recently had my HT with Dr Rose. He will give you a down-to-earth, no BS assessment based on my experience.

I was a NW 4A. Pat can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was 5A, and his HTs of about total of 3000 FUs looks great.

I personally think if you go for coverage, accept a mildly receded frontal hairline, and grow your hair out on top following the procedure, you will see results you will be happy with.

Oh, I posted and didn't address anything about the crown. I think I'd agree with arfy. Most likely, if you don't seek any coverage on top, you might be able to thicken the crown up a bit but not achieve great thickness. I guess it really comes down to how much extra fullness you are looking for in the crown.

I was lucky in that I achieved a lot of personal satisfaction in my improvement in crown density appearance by growing my hair a little longer and daily use of Propecia.

vocor1

What is the difference between a 5a and 6. It appears a 6 is totally bald while a 5a has very thin hair but still covers scalp. In a 6 do the sides drop at all. I know the temples go back silghtly.

Hepcat