2211 Grafts with Dr. Unger

Posted on behalf of Dr. Unger displaying his use of follicular unit hair transplantation.

Picture 1

A patient with apparently very limited hair loss in the fronto-temporal corners of his hairline.

Picture 2

Nine months after a single session of 2211 FU transplanted at an average density of approximately 30 FU/cm?‚??, to the entire frontal area (see below).

PIcture 3

The same patient as shown in Picture 1, and at the same time, which demonstrates that he had diffuse thinning through the entire frontal area and that the hair loss was not limited to only the hairline zone, as might at first have seemed to be the case.

Picture 4

The same patient shown in picture 3. One does not have to wait until an area has experienced the loss of the majority of its hair before the area can actually be treated. However, the hair density shown above will not persist for the patient's lifetime because it is a combination of the transplanted hair and the original hair in the recipient area at the time the surgery was carried out. As the patient loses his original hair, the hair density in the transplanted area will become more like that shown in the "after" photos in Fig. Picture 1 and 2 by the time he would have looked like the "before" photo in Picture 1, (if he hadn't in fact undergone transplanting).

9261058053_5DABCE9096A57529AE950A8A8FDAAC58.jpg.thumb 8261058053_CBF4569187B113DB1B68113F018867A1.jpg.thumb 7261058053_486D68D3A92E27CBC22B7E395DBFC724.jpg.thumb 6261058053_5595D2949C006903DC4B8CAC8E393BE0.jpg.thumb

Guest josh - b

Its hard to know where to start with this.

Picture 1-'A patient with apparently very limited hair loss in the fronto-temporal corners of his hairline' - very true...in fact so limited that he did not need a transplant.

picture 2-'Nine months after a single session of 2211 FU transplanted' - Where are these transplanted grafts???

picture 3-'demonstrates that he had diffuse thinning through the entire frontal area' - No it doesn't !!

picture 4-'As the patient loses his original hair, the hair density in the transplanted area will become more like that shown in the "after" photos in Fig. Picture 1 and 2 by the time he would have looked like the "before" photo in Picture 1, (if he hadn't in fact undergone transplanting)' - ?????

Maybe i'm missing something but i can't see any noticable difference. Some of the doctors other pics look ok but here i just can't see it.

I agree with josh-b. WTF?

I can't make heads or tails of whats going on here so how can I begin to comment. If one is not going to present the entire story there is no point in posting.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Gentlemen,

I can appreciate that a high level of standards should be imposed when a clinic posts pictures and when we are viewing them however, some of you are being downright unfair and judgemental.

Who are you to judge whether a hair transplant patient wants to undergo hair transplant surgery or not? Assuming that a hair transplant patient is a proper candidate, do we not tell the seeking hair transplant patient that it is their decision as to whether or not they need surgery?

Now I don't know any more details about this case than what I posted however, this patient wouldn't have chosen to undergo surgery unless his hair loss condition bothered him.

So whether or not he "needs" hair transplant surgery is not up for you to decide - it's up to the patient. And it's up to the doctor to determine whether or not he is a proper candidate for it.

I think however, what IS needed are additional pictures (especially some immediately post op pictures) and explanation.

I will see what I can do to get more information.

Bill

Bill,

Why put up the photos if not looking for some feedback?? I don't understand. Would you rather have no feedback? or only the right type of feedback?

I am just posting my opinion which of course I am entitled to. Would you in good concience, have recommended this patient go for HT if he asked advice on this forum prior to having done it?

NoBuzz

Everyone,

I made a mistake when I uploaded the pictures. In recognizing this mistake, I now see why your responses were strictly negative without recognizing the positive cosmetic improvement.

Picture 1 was accidentally uploaded twice so the before and after picture was actually the same picture. This truly did not reflect an accurate picture of the result since the after picture was never posted.

I have replaced picture 2 with the real after picture, thus making the correction.

Though additional pictures would certainly paint a more accurate representation of the true result, I think it is still obvious that the after pictures show an overall improvement.

Nobuzz,

To answer your question however...comments are always welcome and encouraged on every post.

But I do expect that post are balanced and fair giving credit where credit is due and challenging what needs to be challenged. Clearly my mistake in posting the second photos contributed to this however, some comments posted, I disagree with.

Josh-b,

If you look at picture number 3, there is clearly evidence of hair miniaturization all over the frontal area. Picture 4 cleary shows greater hair density than picture 3 after hair transplantation. I do believe however, that pictures taken in more similar lighting would have painted a more accurate picture of the result.

Again, sorry for posting a duplicate picture that sent this thread in a tizzy.

Bill

Bill,

In all of the Dr. Unger threads the results look awesome. I am really impressed with what I have to see. The above photos definitely show an improvement although I do agree with Nobuzz that an Ht was not necessary and hardly is that my definition or likely others of diffuse thinning. But nonetheless, a much better look post HT.

I appreciate the fact that we finally got to see some of Dr. Ungers work and I suspect that he is not the technical type that is up on how to take photos and what to post on-line. Hopefully with your and Pats help he'll be able to come up with more detailed examples because the small glimps that we saw looks impressive.

I know that I likely frustrated you that with each thread I essentially posted the same response about needing more photos but it is only factual. Obviously you were given photos and it was your job to post. You have to understand that it is very probable that you'll get such responses from those of us that are somewhat educated. Ofcourse more photos are needed. In fact I am just following suit with what you yourself have posted

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=153234. I know that you took a lot of heat for this thread but in it you stated:

"These are not accurate comparisions since the lighting, angling, hair color, and hair style are all different. Take all that away, I'm not really sure if there is a lot of improvement in the hair. <span class="ev_code_RED">If you are going to post hair transplant results on this forum community, I espect an accurate representation of the results."</span>

So when we see these posts of work from Dr. Unger that you yourself had posted ofcourse we are going to scratch our heads and have little to say of results. It is a little confusing why these would even be posted when they don't even meet your standards. Not trying to piss you off, but there needs to be a level of consistency. You have a challenging job and I appreciate that you likely take a lot of flack. I am a frequent poster and appreciate all the hard work that you do, but at the same time I will post what is on my mind whether it is good or bad. I think that this forum needs that inorder to keep good balance and to put pressure on the docs for total transparancy.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

I appreciate with the fact that you are rising to the challenge of encouraging clinics to post more pictures that display a more accurate representation of the result. This is what I've been saying all along - so I perfectly understand.

I have been challenging clinics to do this for some time even when I've taken heat for it. I still feel exactly the same way.

The fact is, I just don't have additional pictures and I was asked by Pat to post these on Dr. Unger's behalf.

Will additional photos paint a more accurate representation of the results? Absolutely! Are these photos in any way meant to be deceiving? No.

So for now, these photos will have to do unless I am able to get additional photos.

I appreciate your regular involvement here - I hope you know that.

I do hope however, that you will be consistent in your challenges since you have told me that you believe I was being too harsh on the very thread where you quoted me.

Thanks for your feedback,

Bill

Guest josh - b

Bill,

thanks for updating the photos.

Obviously now the cosmetic improvement can clearly be seen.

However i am entitled to express my opinion as to whether or not this patient needed a transplant. I'm certainly not judging anybody, just expressing an opinion (ill informed as it may be)

As for sending this thread into a tizzy... Well think of it this way..if the origional pics posted were the actual representative before and after pics then i'm sure you would welcome and expect such a tizzy.

Isn't that what this sites about? no agendas, just calling it the way we see it.

I'm a relative newbie here and its the the honesty of posters like you , nn and no buzz that make this site stand out.

Anyway, Thanks again for clearing things up with the proper pics.

Bill,

All is good my friend. Hopefully Dr. Unger will be able to provide some more detailed photos as what we have seen does indeed look good.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Josh,

I do appreciate you sharing your opinion. Honest evaluation is indeed what this site is all about. Of course, the fact that I mistakenly posted the same photo twice made for some misunderstanding - but that is all corrected now icon_wink.gif. I do agree however, that additional information and pictures are always helpful in evaluating a result.

Thanks for your feedback.

NN,

Thanks for your feedback my friend. We don't always have to see eye to eye. In my experience, an intelligent debate sparks interest and certainly facilitates education and learning. Of course, an intelligent debate is much different than mud slinging. One of the reasons I fell in love with this site so many years ago is that mud slinging was very minimal but was and still is filled with intelligent debate. This is a good thing!

I'll wait and see if I am able to receive additional photos.

Thanks,

Bill