Nope, never heard that either. For a start, once the strip has been removed, you change position and the back of your head rests on the chair so the surgeon can do his incisions. No way he/she would leave an open donor area with blood dripping and all the rest. It's nonsense.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Actually, I had not heard of it either, until reading about it in the New Yorker article. Bosley was quoted as saying that the suture area on a recent patient was left open till the end in case additional grafts needed to be extracted.

I know that it is 'Bosley', but I was curious how typical it was.

Thanks for the replies.

Not typical at all. There are breaks in the procedure where the patient is allowed to stand up and stretch, go to the bathroom, eat lunch, etc. To be expected to do this with a large opening in the scalp would be outrageous.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Bosley was quoted as saying that the suture area on a recent patient was left open till the end in case additional grafts needed to be extracted.

You've got to be sh*tting me????? That's insane.

First, they should have calculated how many possible grafts were needed to cover the area in question before any type of surgery was even considered.

Second, to do this, most doctors will know the density of the patient donor area in order to have a really good idea of how large a donor strip must be taken to get the required number of grafts.

Third, with each transplant I've had, the size of the donor strip allowed for a little tolerance on the plus side. If I remember correctly, my first transplant was for 1500 grafts and the donor strip yielded about 1590. The second transplant was for 1000 grafts and the donor strip yielded about 1075.

Sounds like this doctor was either, 1.)inexperienced at calculating the donor strip size, or 2.) so cheap he/she was scared that they might have to put in an extra graft or two!