my opinion

Belgiumdude

Hi guys,

i always hear that HT isn't for young guys like myself, mostly because you dont know where you will end up on the NW-scale and because you can deplete your donor.

Now i have made some calculations:

- donor with strip : average 8000 - 10000 FU's

- donor with FUE : im not sure of this one but i think 4000 - 5000 isnt too much.

- this gives a total of about 14000 FU's !!!!

A total of about 14000 donor FU's that are available. Even if you dense pack ( 80FU's/cm2 ) you can still cover an area of 175 cm2. When you pack 60FU's/ cm2 you can cover an area of 235cm2!

So my question:

- Why wait till you are maybe 35 or 40, and have to be bald for years when you can stay ahead of your hair loss with follow-up session. Off course the money isnt taken in calculation but i only give the facts.

Please dont shoot me for posting this, it is just my opinion on keeping ahead of your balding, FUE has seriously increased the donor-supply.

Please note that i dont even take cloning in cosideration. Who knows that it might even be here sooner than we think.

Also propecia has a very good chance of stopping hair loss in the crown and midscalp-area, but even if propecia will not work, you are still available of having a good density and stay ahead.

!!JUST MY OPINION!!

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Greetz.

Pictures of my hairloss can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiumdude2004/

Hi guys,

i always hear that HT isn't for young guys like myself, mostly because you dont know where you will end up on the NW-scale and because you can deplete your donor.

Now i have made some calculations:

- donor with strip : average 8000 - 10000 FU's

- donor with FUE : im not sure of this one but i think 4000 - 5000 isnt too much.

- this gives a total of about 14000 FU's !!!!

A total of about 14000 donor FU's that are available. Even if you dense pack ( 80FU's/cm2 ) you can still cover an area of 175 cm2. When you pack 60FU's/ cm2 you can cover an area of 235cm2!

So my question:

- Why wait till you are maybe 35 or 40, and have to be bald for years when you can stay ahead of your hair loss with follow-up session. Off course the money isnt taken in calculation but i only give the facts.

Please dont shoot me for posting this, it is just my opinion on keeping ahead of your balding, FUE has seriously increased the donor-supply.

Please note that i dont even take cloning in cosideration. Who knows that it might even be here sooner than we think.

Also propecia has a very good chance of stopping hair loss in the crown and midscalp-area, but even if propecia will not work, you are still available of having a good density and stay ahead.

!!JUST MY OPINION!!

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Greetz.

Interesting math. It might have to do with the placecment of grgafts.

If you build a thick wall of hair in front and the sides start to recede backwards (as well as down), you will look pretty bad.

I personally dont think this is an exacting science where you can count grafts like that. I think if ALL docs were getting 99% survival rate, then maybe, but Im not sure that is the case. Ther are alot of variables.

If this occurs, why not have another HT and get those parts fixed? Off course if you do it like this you can expect to go to your doc every few years, and it will cost you tons of money, but it is just to say that it is possible to keep up with your hairloss. And i think the first one will be the most visible, in most cases a persons first HT will probably be the front part ( hairline and temples ). the follow-ups will be for filling up gaps that may have come between the front and the midscalp. And if propecia holds hairloss in midscalp and crown-area ( like it says it does in about 85% of the cases ), not that much follow-up work will be needed. But is you hairloss will continue, you will have enough donor-hair to go through life with a nice full head of hear.

Greetz.

IMHO 14000 is way too high.

There are people here that have 3000 and up done in a session, but they are well above average.

I think around 2000 will be a realistic average number. Lets make a thread and ask everybody.

Most people could get 2 strips, not everybody would be able to do 3.

So using strip I assume you could get about 4000 to 5000 FU on the average person.

After that I assume one could get another 3000 to 4000 from FUE. Do not forget that after 2 strips you have already taken away about 40 to 50 CM2 where FUE can not be used anymore. Furthermore you do not wish to take away too many hairs with FUE because otherwise the scarline will show through and/or you might look moth eaten.

So I come up with about 8000 grats for the average person. Some will get alot more, some will get alot less.

Just my opinion.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Dr.Wong and staff were able to get 2484 grafts from my badly depleted donor area. This was due to the old punch graft surgeries I went through. If you were to look at the area, you'd see how badly used up it is, possibly by 50 percent. So in my case, getting 5000 grafts in one session might have been realistic if I wasn't in the condition I was. I do have enough remaining if I choose a second surgery. According to Dr.Wong, the second time around will yield more than the first as the scaring is a little less severe.

Therefore, in my situation, if I wasn't a repair patient, I believe my donor area would have yielded 10,000 grafts.

Uncjim's Journey

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

Arfy- I was the one that gave the estimate of 8-10k grafts. But I was unclear if that was total available with strip or strip + FUE. I haven't looked into it as of recent, but that's the last figure I had heard/read. I suppose this would be a good question to ask in "ask a surgeon" forum. I think I will do this- and see what pops up... Now I'm curious

Hi guys,

thanks for the many replies on this subject, this is really a good help in knowing what you have. I would also like to say that off course im gonna wait a while, i just think that i better do my homework now, so i know what the posibilities are in the future. Thanks!

Greetz.