Post Op social events?

Gentlemen, How are you able to handle social events right after a HT, especially if you were shaved down for the procedure?

I worry about an unexpected death in the family for example? I guess the two weeks after a procedure are probably the worst time. Hairpiece is not an option for me, never tried one and never will.

NoBuzz

Gentlemen, How are you able to handle social events right after a HT, especially if you were shaved down for the procedure?

I worry about an unexpected death in the family for example? I guess the two weeks after a procedure are probably the worst time. Hairpiece is not an option for me, never tried one and never will.

NoBuzz

Guest Cousin_It

That is really a tough one. I myself worried about anything unexpected coming up after my transplant. My only option would have been to wear a hat and make up some kind of excuse for it, no way would I give the real reason.

Maybe some guys on the forum have been in this situation and came up with a good angle. I would be anxious to hear how they dealt with it just incase I am put in that predicament.

Hey Nobuzz,

General social events I wear a hat and I purposely planned my HT after two weddings I had to go to. But for unexpected incidents like a death in the family, I'm not sure how to handle that one. It probably depends on how far post op you are. That's one reason I shaved my head entirely (sides too) right after the surgery...at least if I had to take off my hat somewhere people would think I just shaved my head and might wonder why there is a scar there....to me that was better than a shaved top and longer sides.

BUT, I'm not sure there is much else you can do if you have a sudden family emergency and have to show up somewhere dressed up (without a hat).

Bill

NoBuzz,

You pobably have little choice but to wear a hat. I guess it depends on the situation. I would probably go with a "pimp daddy" hat to a funeral if I were wearing a suit. There are ofcourse all types of hats for every occasion. My thought is that I would rather have people think I made a bad fashion decision than scare them with the scabs and scar/staples if it is that early in the recovery. If they ask about it, maybe depending on who it is you could tell them or make up some story about having a bad reaction to something and needing to see a dermatologist.

That thought crossed my mind with travelling to get a HT. What if they have you take off your hat at security or customs? I guess shit happens and you deal with it. Life would go on.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thanks guys, I knew I wasn't the only one who worries about this crap. Maybe I will lock myself up in my room for a month post op! LOL.

For me, I guess the hat is my only way to go. I have never had a buzz cut short, so if I were to shave it all off, I may as well put a sign on my head that says: "Look at me, I just had a HT, no comments please"! or maybe: "Area under construction"! or maybe: "Chemo patient, back off, radioactive"! icon_biggrin.gif

NoBuzz

I guess too that there is always the option of not going to the social event. People might think that you are a jerk (depending on the event) but they will get over it.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

nb4m,

Lots of good suggestions. I will add that you may want to consider wearing your hair ultra short before the HT (1/2" or so) just to get people used to the idea of you having short hair before shaving down.

The hat sounds like the general way to go. You may want to buy some dermmatch for scar coverage when clipped close after it's healed..............it works great!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

My grandad died at the end of October and was one month post op at this time. My partner applied dermatch wet to the scar area which hid the shock loss and scar. I applied dermatch dry to the front area and it looked ok.

I was a bit paranoid that someone would notice but no one commented, was glad to get it over with. If it had rained then that would have been a different story !

• 3 weeks later...

This reply might give some pre-op readers something to consider. I am now just 4 weeks post op. Before my HT I told just about everyone I knew that I was having the surgery. It was no secret. My wife and kids told people as well. It was difficult at first but it got easier and most people were encouraging. The thing is, after the op it was so much easier to face anyone that I told I was having the procedure. They knew what to expect. The only social situations that caused me some anxiety were when I saw people that I hadn't told.

Pete,

I do kind of like your approach as well. It takes a lot of guts to pull it off but in the long run is probably a little easier than sneaking around. I also believe that it is a good way to have this more socially accepted like other cosmetic procedures have become. Good luck with things and keep us posted on results.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90