Scar Revision

I have one 3 inch scar on the side of the head with small areas of sparseness around the sutured areas as well. I am 4 months post op. The width of the scar is about 2-3 mm and in some spots around 3-5mm. I only had 400 grafts so I feel like this could be much smaller. The scar is still a little pink.

My goal: I would like to shave the sides of my head very close in the end.

I was thinking: Scar revision first, then attempt FUE/FIT into the area down the road. I'm not sure my scar would be considered wide enough to merit a revision but I certainly have seen better in photos. Should I do this or just skip straight into FIT/FUE?

Also what is the best time to get a revision? My scar is 4 months post-op and still a little red though I'm not sure if I should wait a certain amount of time if I was to go with a revision.

Any reccomendations (procedures/doctors etc...) are highly appreciated.

I have one 3 inch scar on the side of the head with small areas of sparseness around the sutured areas as well. I am 4 months post op. The width of the scar is about 2-3 mm and in some spots around 3-5mm. I only had 400 grafts so I feel like this could be much smaller. The scar is still a little pink.

My goal: I would like to shave the sides of my head very close in the end.

I was thinking: Scar revision first, then attempt FUE/FIT into the area down the road. I'm not sure my scar would be considered wide enough to merit a revision but I certainly have seen better in photos. Should I do this or just skip straight into FIT/FUE?

Also what is the best time to get a revision? My scar is 4 months post-op and still a little red though I'm not sure if I should wait a certain amount of time if I was to go with a revision.

Any reccomendations (procedures/doctors etc...) are highly appreciated.

Hi Miami, after my last surgery I found that my donor scar stretched quite a bit and in some places it was as wide as 1/2 an inch after about 6 months after the operation. I have had a number of surgeries in my time so i think that things were just getting too tight around that area. My HT Dr referred me to a plastic surgeon who told me he could fix it by cutting below the surface of the scar into the muscle above the skull and then removing some muscle and then stitching the muscle together along with removing the scar and resuturing the the area together. The theory behind it was that all the strain would be on the muscle below the skin rather than the skin/scar and therefore the skin/scar wont stretch. I had the procedure done under general anaesetic and the scar was revised from ear to ear. Six months on and I am pleased with the results and in most areas the scar is now only 2mm wide. I have a small pink area near the top of one ear but the surgeon says that the hair should grow back in this area as it is bare from shock loss where he did the original incision. When the surgeon removed my scar he sent it to my HT Dr who removed any follicles left in the scar and then later that day he planted them into my frontal region. He only got 100 FU's out but still its better than nothing and I cant afford to waste them. It was certainly a long day with some pain but I am glad I went ahead with the procedure. I had it done in Australia where I live. I dont cut my hair shorter than a 4 at the back so I am not sure how it would look shaved - probably a bit sparse I think given the number of surgeries I have had.

mm22,

Could you let us know how much the procedure cost. It sounds like you have had a real success with this procedure where many others have failed trying scar revisions (like Balloonman, where the scar simply stretched again). You say your scar was originally 1/2 inch wide and now is 2mm wide mostly. That is an improvement of 1cm in width approx, very encouraging. And at 6 months you should be free now of any future stretching problems. Could you give some more details about the procedure, its technical name perhaps? (if there is such a thing for this procedure)

Thanks in advance and congrats on a good result...

Hi Scout, the procedure cost me AU$2500 for the plastic surgeon and AU$500 for the anaesthetist. My hospital bed was covered by my health insurance. On the paperwork given to me by the surgeon it simply says "extensive scalp scar repair". The procedure took around 2 hours and then I had to sit in recovery for an hour or so before I went accross to my HT Dr's office. The whole back of my head was very tight and sore for a good few days afterwards, a bit worse than my HT experiences but with some pain relievers and a few DVD's I was feeling OK after a while. The metal staples remained in for about 10 days afterwards and as soon as they came out I could see a very big difference. I was advised to take it easy for another month and try not to lean my head forward too much. Areas of my scalp remained slightly sore for about 3 months after the procedure and i think this was just the muscle continuing to heal but now I have no pain.

The main reason I had it done was because I do alot of swimming and surfing and when the hair was wet you could clearly see the scar, even if my hair was quite long and that just wasnt acceptable. You could also see the scar if i had a short haircut or when the wind blew from behind although i used some "covere" to conceal it which worked well. It was annoying though as suddenly I had to not only worry about how my front looked but also my back.

At the time the surgeon even said that if I wanted he could take some of the muscle that he was going to remove and place it between my eye brows above the bridge of my nose to get rid of my "angry lines" which would mean that I would never need botox in this region. To be honest I hadnt ever really noticed the lines so I decided not to worry about it and it was also another $2000. I think it was just a case of "while i'm down there".

MM22,

Now I can relate to what you said regarding not having a noticeable scar when going swimming or on a windy day. That's what I want!! I haven't gone swimming for years because of this hair transplant scar. Too noticeable for me. Also this donor area hurts to the touch. It's not that easy sleeping cuz when I lay my head back, I'm like why does my head feel so strange. I don't want to worry about the back of my head. It's like a prison.

Let it Grow.

Let it Grow.

Thanks mm22. I might look into that with some plastic surgeons here in the UK. I still have a feeling that tissue expansion is the only way forward for me as my scar is probably 15mm wide now and that may just be too much to take in one go without expansion. But that remains to be seen...

Hi Parable,

The plastic surgeon was Dr Chris Moss in Melbourne.

Hi Scout,

I would certainly look into it as in one area my scar was around 1/2 an inch and this area is now 2mm or less. I am sure that the technique would be known by plastic surgeons in the UK. At my initial consultation my surgeon said that he had performed it a number of times with success and the basic theory of the procedure seemed sound to me. The only thing that I didnt like the sound of was the fact that it was done under a general rather than local but he explained that because of the size of the area and the fact that delicate suturing was required he could not afford to have me moving or flinching. Good luck with your enquiries.

Hi backnats,

Sorry to hear about your donor area. I found that a product called "couvre" worked quite well at concealing my scar and it only took a few minutes in the morning to apply. Fingers crossed time will help heal your soreness.

[This message was edited by mm22 on November 11, 2003 at 12:59 PM.]

• 1 month later...

Hi Parable, I'd like to know if Dr Russell did any hairline work on you? Also, how visible are scars on on the donor area...is it possible to send me some pictures of what he did for you? I'm still making up my mind on a doctor and don't want to make a mistake on this...much appreciated. By the way, you mentioned Burgo has been to Dr Russell as well...is that his username 'cause I can't seem to locate it on the forum search. Can you give me his details if you know? Thanks very much..hope your 'repair work' has turned out well..

Im not quite sure I understand? It is my understanding that you can transplant FUE to cover the scar area? This is my intention in the future and it seems less problematic than removing muscle under the skin. Was I misled?????

• 2 years later...

Hi mm22,

I read your post and wonder who did your scar revision and who was the hair surgeon in the first place? I just had a procedure done 2 weeks ago and its my third (had two small 500 units sessions) Now the scar is over 1/2 and inch thick (see post 'is this scar big') Bit down as I have had to stop surfin for 4 weeks now!!!

Originally posted by mm22:

Hi Scout, the procedure cost me AU$2500 for the plastic surgeon and AU$500 for the anaesthetist. My hospital bed was covered by my health insurance. On the paperwork given to me by the surgeon it simply says "extensive scalp scar repair". The procedure took around 2 hours and then I had to sit in recovery for an hour or so before I went accross to my HT Dr's office. The whole back of my head was very tight and sore for a good few days afterwards, a bit worse than my HT experiences but with some pain relievers and a few DVD's I was feeling OK after a while. The metal staples remained in for about 10 days afterwards and as soon as they came out I could see a very big difference. I was advised to take it easy for another month and try not to lean my head forward too much. Areas of my scalp remained slightly sore for about 3 months after the procedure and i think this was just the muscle continuing to heal but now I have no pain.

The main reason I had it done was because I do alot of swimming and surfing and when the hair was wet you could clearly see the scar, even if my hair was quite long and that just wasnt acceptable. You could also see the scar if i had a short haircut or when the wind blew from behind although i used some "covere" to conceal it which worked well. It was annoying though as suddenly I had to not only worry about how my front looked but also my back.

At the time the surgeon even said that if I wanted he could take some of the muscle that he was going to remove and place it between my eye brows above the bridge of my nose to get rid of my "angry lines" which would mean that I would never need botox in this region. To be honest I hadnt ever really noticed the lines so I decided not to worry about it and it was also another $2000. I think it was just a case of "while i'm down there".

Scar.jpg.c8f01b889de5febee7a09de6fbd9e809.jpg