Is it true that the less hair grafts that you do, that you have a better chance of survival for them

I was told that if I did 1,000 grafts in 3 separate operations that I would have a much stronger chance of them living and would not be "waisting" my money. Is there any truth to this? I was thinking about having 2,000 to 2,500 grafts in the front and about 600 grafts in the back. This may last up to 2 days. Can anyone shed any light on this subject.

Thanks!

I was told that if I did 1,000 grafts in 3 separate operations that I would have a much stronger chance of them living and would not be "waisting" my money. Is there any truth to this? I was thinking about having 2,000 to 2,500 grafts in the front and about 600 grafts in the back. This may last up to 2 days. Can anyone shed any light on this subject.

Thanks!

You were told this because the doctor is still performing surgery with a 20th century mentality. Did this doctor tell you that you'll have more scarring from multiple procedures? Did he tell you that you'll have more downtime and pay more money in the long run? Most likely he did not but these are the facts.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Do not do sessions of 1000, when you need 3000 grafts.

One of the worst things that happen to the uneducated is they get sold on "mini sessions" and end up paying more and undergoing too many sessions.

Find a doc who can meet or exceed ALL your needs and you will be fine.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I was told this because what I understood is that grafts are sort of like trees. You only have so much minerals to give the graft and if you put too many grafts then they will die. Sort of like if you have 20 trees around each other. They will fight with each other for the water and light. What do you think about that? Also, what is a good amount to put on your head?

Upper echelon docs can transplant 40-55 fu's cm/2 with very little drop-off in growth rates.

Several docs can transplant higher density's as well.

Make sure you choose a doc who possesses the ability to meet your expectations and demands.

My doctor and and both of the Docs Jotronics represents will be able to fulfill your demands.

Perhaps you should start there and move forward?

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

The scalp has excellent blood supply & can easily support the new grafts, 1,000 or 3,000.

Go get another consultation from a coalition Doctor.

markky_03,

Welcome to our community. I really have nothing to add to my brother's posts above...they are right on.

To put it this way...if you don't believe the statistics below...take a look at my 3rd surgery below and a number of other transplant patients of today from elite physicians. Many physicians extract 3000-5000 grafts in a single session on a daily basis (keeping in mind that not all patients need that many grafts) and the growth yields do not drop off.

I recommend researching physicians from our coalition who have a proven track records of positive and consistent results (many of which do MEGASESSIONS when appropriate with a terrific success rate):

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

I hope this helps.

Bill

Marky,

I agree with all above but would like to add that I believe in some cases that a smaller number of grafts might help to limit shockloss to existing or native hair. This is a factor that I have to contend with because I have coverage but it is approx. 25 fu/cm2 in some areas and if I went with a huge megasession it might spur more shockloss of my native hair. That being said however, it does not affect the growth viability of the grafts being transplanted. Understand what I am stating--there is a difference. Hope this helps.

Take care.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

marky3.

i was told the same thing by my doc. he also said he likes dong three sessions for most patients because it allows him to go back like an artist goes back to a painting to improve look better...i do believe there is merit to this approch, however i would go to feller or hasson...i wish i did. will you tell us the name of the doc you went to? i had 5 treatments i could have done it in two,,,,

I want to add...

That the elite physicians that do megasessions also know when smaller sessions are appropriate and when dense packing in a certain area is not as appropriate. Clearly the density packed in a certain area is defined by a number of variables, however, if there is a good amount of native hair left in an area, these doctors will not dense pack in between the grafts. Certainly they MAY place SOME grafts in between to even it out with the rest of your hair.

My point is...it's not that smaller sessions are a bad thing...but it has to be taken case by case. That being said...doctors who LIMIT their session size to 1000 or even 2000 grafts as a maximum for ALL cases is a red flag. Elite clinics should be able to base the session size around the individual patient's needs and NOT their own limitations.

Bill

good point Bill, when i had my transplants after about 5 -7 days no one could detect that i had a transplant, i had quite a bit of hair on top.but if i could go back I would go to feller or hassan, allow them to shave my head and do it in one big session, and then a follow up session.i went in almost blind, and I was lucky because i saw results form my doc and the results looked good...i believe i could have had a better result with 2 treatments rather than the 5 i had