A Story and a Couple of Pics

For about 6 years now, I've been slowly losing my hair, and my sanity. LOL! Four months ago I decided to do something about it and I got an HT. As you will tell from the pictures, I wasn't completely bald, in fact, I still had a good amount of hair - that when combed right - looked OK. I think my emotional ride really came from the unknown future. The biggest thing for me was whether or not to start searching for the woman of my dreams now, or wait until after the surgery. But I wasn't happy with the way I was looking, and I knew that it would only get worse over time. But what if I looked worse after the HT? So on and so on.... It went on for a while. Finally I made the decision to do it. Looking back, it was the best thing I could have done. I know I could have postponed it and still look good, but those "what ifs" would constantly pop up in my head. What this HT has done for me psychologically has been incredible. After only four months, my hair still doesn't look totally full; in fact, it's probably a little thinner than before. But I feel like a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders. That burden was the fear of the unknown. I didn't know how this was going to turn out. I didn't know how long I would look messed up. I didn't know if it would ever look good. I didn't know how it would play in my love life. These were all insignificant fears that were controlling my life. I let my situation get the better of me and stopped doing the things I loved; swimming, working out, kickboxing, go out with friends, meeting women, etc... A month after my HT, I started hitting the gym, then kickboxing, a couple months later I started going to bars with friends, and just this weekend I was in Vegas shooting down the water slide with my buddies at Hard Rock! Sure my hair at the pool didn't look good, and every once in a while my buddies would tell me my scar was showing, but I would just fix it up and keep having fun. The best thing about the pool was that even though my hair looked jacked up, I met a bunch of girls and got numbers! ??“ All because I was so much fun. I'm not saying this to brag, I just know that a lot of guys, including myself, think that we have to look a certain way or others will judge us. Well, they judge our attitude over anything, and my attitude before my transplant was pretty freakin' boring. I think the HT was the catalyst to me really working on myself. It helped me to work on my body and then my attitude followed. Who knows what would have happened if I would have done that stuff before my transplant. But that's history now.

I'll quit rambling. I'm not quite sure what message I want to convey to everyone reading, I just hope this helps out in some way.

Anyways, take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think and feel free to ask any questions. If you click on the pics a couple of time, they'll zoom in.

My Photos

Thanks for reading!

[This message was edited by Joe Transplant on May 13, 2003 at 10:41 PM.]

For about 6 years now, I've been slowly losing my hair, and my sanity. LOL! Four months ago I decided to do something about it and I got an HT. As you will tell from the pictures, I wasn't completely bald, in fact, I still had a good amount of hair - that when combed right - looked OK. I think my emotional ride really came from the unknown future. The biggest thing for me was whether or not to start searching for the woman of my dreams now, or wait until after the surgery. But I wasn't happy with the way I was looking, and I knew that it would only get worse over time. But what if I looked worse after the HT? So on and so on.... It went on for a while. Finally I made the decision to do it. Looking back, it was the best thing I could have done. I know I could have postponed it and still look good, but those "what ifs" would constantly pop up in my head. What this HT has done for me psychologically has been incredible. After only four months, my hair still doesn't look totally full; in fact, it's probably a little thinner than before. But I feel like a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders. That burden was the fear of the unknown. I didn't know how this was going to turn out. I didn't know how long I would look messed up. I didn't know if it would ever look good. I didn't know how it would play in my love life. These were all insignificant fears that were controlling my life. I let my situation get the better of me and stopped doing the things I loved; swimming, working out, kickboxing, go out with friends, meeting women, etc... A month after my HT, I started hitting the gym, then kickboxing, a couple months later I started going to bars with friends, and just this weekend I was in Vegas shooting down the water slide with my buddies at Hard Rock! Sure my hair at the pool didn't look good, and every once in a while my buddies would tell me my scar was showing, but I would just fix it up and keep having fun. The best thing about the pool was that even though my hair looked jacked up, I met a bunch of girls and got numbers! ??“ All because I was so much fun. I'm not saying this to brag, I just know that a lot of guys, including myself, think that we have to look a certain way or others will judge us. Well, they judge our attitude over anything, and my attitude before my transplant was pretty freakin' boring. I think the HT was the catalyst to me really working on myself. It helped me to work on my body and then my attitude followed. Who knows what would have happened if I would have done that stuff before my transplant. But that's history now.

I'll quit rambling. I'm not quite sure what message I want to convey to everyone reading, I just hope this helps out in some way.

Anyways, take a look at these pictures and tell me what you think and feel free to ask any questions. If you click on the pics a couple of time, they'll zoom in.

My Photos

Thanks for reading!

[This message was edited by Joe Transplant on May 13, 2003 at 10:41 PM.]

That was a great post. You captured a lot of what is so true about this whole process.

First though, isn't the Hard Rock a friggin' blast! I love that pool.

You hit on some absolutely crucial points: Attitude is more important than anything. Looks compliment an attitude. As a man, you'd like to exert an attitude of confidence, strength, and fun! An HT can help that out a lot. You feel better about yourself and it shows. And everybody is attracted to a confident, fun person.

Before, you'd try things out and you'd either hold back or people just weren't as receptive. That's life.

But it is up to us to take control of things. To turn the good into great and refute our doubts about ourselves.

And doesn't it seem, every time you lift weights or make a witty remark or make your ideas known, that it serves a stronger, more resolved purpose?

It is true for me. And it is hard to describe sometimes other than the fact that it is absolutely great.

I want to tell others that an HT in itself will not solve your problems. You have to "put in the work". Nothing is for free, but it just seems like the hard work is rewarded more freely now. It doesn't matter why, does it?

Dude, I'm so glad for you! How does it feel? Feel to be in driver's seat again. Invincible once again.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Looking good Joe! I know you mention that at times you think it might look worse at this stage, but based on the pics I see good progress for 4 months, unless your wearing it longer or styling in a diff way. Have you noticed the scar being any less noticeable when wet as time has progressed?

I know what you mean psychologically being affected. I found myself staying home more often on weekends, just not being the same guy I know I am when I'm with friends. I've always mingled with the opposite sex at parties, bars, etc, but the past year found myself not putting myself in a position to be rejected. Funny thing is, since I've had the procedure a few weeks back, I've already got a couple opportunities with some gals at a local bar when hanging with friends, even came back and play a little strip pool this past weekend with 2 girls! Wow, that kind of stuff just hasn't been happening for a long time. But like you, my attitude has been changing, having a little hope now. I wish I could have received hope in another manner other than getting a procedure, maybe doing volunteer work, helping others, feeling good about my knowing I'm a good person, but unfortunately I couldn't. I watched Michael J Fox on Dateline tonight and he's got much bigger issues with a better attitude, and here I am devestated by hairloss! Makes me feel a little selfish and self-centered. I don't think I'm that superficial but for some reason this has bugged me immensely, can't help it, and started affecting my personality, but now I think I'm on the way back!

Give us an update in a couple mos and good luck in your continued success.

Manko:

Thanks a lot. I had 1822 grafts done by Dr. Elliott of Elliott & True. I know I'll get more done as my natural hair continues to thin.

Vocor1

Thanks to you also. You definately hit the points I ws trying to make. And yes, Hard Rock is the best.

joe,

awesome post. Do you use couvre, dermamatch, or toppik? if you don't, you should think about using them. just try one of those concealers out.

Tip: use just enough to get some coverage. don't go overboard. icon_wink.gif

TKOTKO:

I'm glad to hear you're feeling good about your decision too. I also sometimes feel a little guilty about freaking out over something so small compared to the big challenges in life. But now that I feel better about myself, I can help others in the same situation and have the confidence to go out and contribute to those who have really big problems.

Texas:

Up until two weeks ago, I used Couvre. I stopped using it because my hair's looking OK without it and personally I feel better having it look thinner than being self-conscious about people noticing or touching the couvre. But thanks for looking out for me.

About being "superficial" or "shallow", I just don't look at it that way.

For 6 years I dealt with hairloss that was clearly inappropriate for my age and facial features. I felt I worked hard as hell and was a pretty socialable guy. But I dated women I generally wouldn't really like to be in a relationship with. It was a pretty shallow existance, in some respects.

But now, more smiles get exchanged. More eye contact made. You can feed off of that stuff that wasn't really there before for whatever reason.

So you recognize there is a problem and you work on it and see if that does it for you. And if it does, we can't blame ourselves or label ourselves as shallow.

It isn't shallow to take positive steps in your life. So it's cosmetic? So what? Can it be wrong if it makes you confident and strong?

I'm telling you, I feel a whole hell of a lot sorrier for guys who are balding, feeling like crap, and admitting defeat, than anybody on this site who risked being labeled as shallow, and changed their life for the better.

So you traded your shallow existance for people maybe thinking you are shallow.

That's a trade I'll make any day, any time.

Well, to label an existance with hairloss as "shallow" is of course, extreme. But I think you get the point I'm making.

I have no regrets or excuses to make.

As long as we make informed decisions, there are no excuses to be made. The ends justifies the means.

Anyway, not a big deal. Just my stance on all this.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Hey Arfy,

About four years back I tried Propecia. I stopped using it only after a few months. Even though I know it's pretty safe, I freak out at the fact that I would have to take it every day for such a long period of time. I don't even like taking meds when I'm sick. It's just a personal thing. I'm sure a lot of guys have benefited from it and should continue if its working. If my hair can eventually look decent after a few HTs then I'll be happy with that.

Thanks

Joe

Hair loss is progressive. You don't have enough donor hair to replace evrything you'll lose.

It's kind of like bailing water out of a leaky rowboat, if you get hair transplants but don't stop the progression of hair loss.

In a lot of ways you come to terms with the recession, but there are still times when it makes you feel extremely insecure.

There are times, just getting ready in the morning when you see how thin things have gotten and it bugs you.

I've held off on approaching women in some of my usual hangouts because I feel they are as focused on the thining as I am.

I'll be interested to see if my behavior changes after my HT.

--Blake

• 5 weeks later...

How old are you. You looked young to be having a transplant in your pic. I'm considering a transplant as well and am tryin to get a grasp on the age thing. A lot of the research I've done suggests its not advisable until your into your late 30's even 40's.