Is a Hair Transplant Terminal.....

....at about 6 months?!?!?!?! icon_smile.gif

Seriously, its sad that so many experiences/blogs on this site end about that time. I'm hoping its because their result is so good that they forget they had this "problem."

Big props to those who stick it out and continue to answer questions and post result pictures.

Signed,

Long time lurker, first time poster, and recent transplant recepient.

----

First Hair Transplant performed by Dr. DeYarman, approximately 4180 grafts on 01/10/2007

Second Hair Transplant performed by Dr. Reed, approximately 2207 grafts on 10/10/2007

Third Hair Transplant performed by Dr. Reed, approximately 1896 grafts on 05/13/2008

Total Grafts 8283

Wingnut,

Welcome to the forums, at least formally, since you've said you've been lurking for awhile. I guess I'm the first to welcome you then icon_wink.gif.

Hopefully the obvious answer to your question is..."no". A hair transplant continues to mature up to 18 months, however by the 1 year mark, most people should have a pretty good idea of what their surgery will look like. Many people still continue to have new growth well past 6 months, and hair will continue to thicken a lot more as 6 months is still early. On average, one can say you are at about 60% by about 6 months.

It would definiately be nice if more people stuck it out and continued to post their surgeries until at least one year. That's why I try to do that as well.

Bill

Hi all

Yup, We are all is the same boat.. I'm at 3 weeks, Bills at 5.5 months, and everyone else is with us .. Waiting,,,, Waiting..Just keep in mind it will take 1 year minimum to see "final" results so we cannot judge anything as outcome unitl then.. Personally, I start "looking" at about 8 months which for me, gives a good indication of things to come.. BUT, that's me and I've been through this 2 times before and now 1 more..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Regarding my results:

Things are going slowly on top (but I also have very little patience), BUT my results looks similar to most of the other three month shots in the blogs that I have checked out. I see a hints of my natural color in what has been skin color.

I have a lot of shock loss around the donor site, probably more noticable than most because I keep my hair to a #3 guard. Pretty sure its starting to fill in now. I really hate the "balding guy" look, hence the close shave. Damn you, telogen stage!

Regardless, I am very anxious to see the next 3 months unfold and will reserve my conclusions till then.

----

First Hair Transplant performed by Dr. DeYarman, approximately 4180 grafts on 01/10/2007

Second Hair Transplant performed by Dr. Reed, approximately 2207 grafts on 10/10/2007

Third Hair Transplant performed by Dr. Reed, approximately 1896 grafts on 05/13/2008

Total Grafts 8283

Wingnut,

If you are only at 3 months now, I encourage you NOT to reserve your final conclusion in another 3 months. That would put you at 6 months only. Your final judgement should be at 12 months, since some people are only just starting by the time they reach 5 or 6 months! Some of course blossom earlier...perhaps this is why some people stop posting on their blogs because they are satisfied enough where they want to get on with their lives. HOWEVER, 6 months is hardly a completed project, and many people are MISSING OUT by not seeing Blogs followed through with until 1 year.

Anyway...I do hope that you get the results you are looking for. Keep in mind that the "bad press" regarding Dr. Deyarman is coming from other patients which is why this community removed him off the coalition list (at least for now). Radgav (Rebecca) the lead tech has admitted that they had the wrong technicians which is a very bad thing and not to be taken lightly and unfortunately, this does reflect poorly on the doc since he is ultimately responsible for the hiring, training, and supervision of the techs to make sure they are veteraned and achieve excellent results. I'm not trying to worry you of course and hope you don't take these facts I'm presenting hardly or defensively (some people feel they need to come to the rescue of their doc). Believe me, I'm kind of "heartbroken" but the whole thing also...I would like to see Dr. Deyarman restored to the coalition...but I think his clnic has to address some obvious internal problems. BUT, that doesn't mean that you won't have a good result! But give it time my friend.

Bill

Hi Bill,

No worries regarding concerning me further, most of the bad press (other than Spock) came out after my surgery and as they say, "no use crying over spilled milk." I don't think I would be flying around to get a HT anyway, nothing more comforting than being in my own home (with family) after the surgery. Not that the first few days are all that comforting, but would definitely feel uncomfortable bleeding on someone else's pillow. icon_wink.gif

I never really said "final" conclusion, I'm happy to see more growth after that point. icon_smile.gif From what I have read, I should see most results between 4 to 6 months.

FWIW, I am not so convinced that a surgery team has more influence over results than does personal physiology (other than blatant things like cutting through the grafts during disection.)

Time will tell and heals all wounds and blah blah blah..... icon_wink.gif

----

Total Grafts 8283

Wingnut-

Thanks for posting. I realize there have been issues lately here involving him but I'm glad you posted your story and wish the best for you. At 3 months, you're still very early in the game and have mega-growth yet to come so don't despair.

Glad you've taken the plunge and finally decided to join us here and stop lurking icon_cool.gif.

Happing healing,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Wingnut,

Good to hear from you my friend.

I do however have to respectfully disagree with you on a few things:

1. "From what I have read, I should see most results between 4 to 6 months."

My comments: Don't count on it. Many people don't even start growing until 4 or 5 months. Please don't make the mistake in thinking you are almost done by 6 months. You may indeed see some good results by then...absolutely...BUT, the exciting thing is...it really ISN'T almost over! If you are looking for a minimum to evaluate, I'd say no earlier than 8 months...but really one year is needed to be considered almost complete icon_smile.gif

2. "FWIW, I am not so convinced that a surgery team has more influence over results than does personal physiology "

My comments: Sorry brother...but I have to disagree again. There are SO many things a surgery team can do to impact the results of the surgery in a negative way. I'll list a few here:

A. Wide scar: If the doctor doesn't do a good job harvesting the strip (takes too wide of a strip, over taxing/stretching the scalp), you could end up with a wide scar from lack of proper care being given to you at the time of surgery. SAFETY first is important and that comes from the day of surgery. However, it is true that the donor area can stretch on it's own due to physiology.

B. Hair Transection: Existing native hairs can be transected during the making of incisions if the doctor isn't careful. This is one reason why shaving the head is recommended if not required by most doctors.

C. Damaging of grafts: Either through transection while they are being removed from the strip or handled improperly (without proper care) once they are removed from the strip. Also they could be damaged if the techs aren't careful inserting them into the recipient sites as well.

All of those factors above can dramatically impact how your surgery will turn out. A) will impact the donor area and B) and C) the outcome of the surgery which could impact whether the grafts actually grow.

If you disagree with me...that's fine...but I'd ask what convinced you that physiology plays a BIGGER role than the surgical team?

Cheers bro.

Bill

I agree with Bill!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi Bill,

I can't really say I disagree with you.

Regarding point A, scalp laxity, previous HTs, and your healing process also play a big factor in your scar area (as you say).

Also agree with points B and C, which I kind of alluded to, by saying "other than blatant things like cutting through the grafts during dissection."

All I am saying is that a "great" doctor can have bad results and "bad" doctor can have great results. The only real common denominator is your personal physiology.

Regarding my results and the big "when," time will tell, right? So long as it isn't an "if." icon_smile.gif

----

Total Grafts 8283

All I am saying is that a "great" doctor can have bad results and "bad" doctor can have great results. The only real common denominator is your personal physiology.

Yes, I suppose this can happen...but on RARE occasion. That's why we look for consistent results when admitting a doctor into the coalition, for example. And that's why EVERY patient should look for consistency in a doctor's work when deciding to go to see them.

Ultimately my final point is it that a "bad" doctor will typically yield bad results and a "good" doctor will typically yield good results! But yes, once in a blue moon something atypical can happen :P

Yeah bro...hang in there regarding your results...time will reveal all icon_smile.gif

Happy Resurrection Day!

Bill

Hi

I Think both of you may be right.. Good docs yield good results, bad docs yield poor to OK results.. Rarely they may be a patient who is not an ideal candidate maybe due to health or biological issues.. This may lead to complications but as we know all surgeries have risks involved.. However, these days good, quality doctors minimize these risks to a very small percentage

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 8 months later...

Hey Wingnut, Any updates on your HT with Dr. Reed on 10/10. I had my HT the VERY next day, 10/11, with doc Reed. We did 1700 grafts in the frontal third and i would like to compare progress! Happy Growing!

Hi Dear..........its the fact and has been proved scientifically that by the end of 2 and half month the transplanted hair start growing and about 3mm in size which is at that time inside the dermis and not visible.Usually become visible by the end of 3rd month or so and by the end of 4th month the client ll get only 10% of the result.............similarly by the end of 5th month 25%,By the end of 6th month 50% of the result..................so u have to wait for least3 months more and by the end of 9th month u ll get ur 100% result..............so then you and any body then comments about the density,etc of the surgery.