Dr Ross in San Diego???

I skipped the Hair Restoration and went str8 to breast enlargement!!!! LMAO icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry Mate, at this point a discussion about the Ross groups isn't even warranted. We simply do not have enough information, nor can we even see the results of their methods.

One tell-tale sign is that they offer 1200 grafts max on the fee/graft structure which usually is an indication of only 1 or 2 tecnicians max, which usually means the good doctor has not embraced the latest and greatest techniques.

Again, these Docs may do great work.

Then again, they may not.

Chose a Coalition Doc and do yourself a favor.

Good Luck!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 3 weeks later...

REALLY?

Perhaps you could share your experience with us?

1200 hairs is not much, maybe 4-600 grafts, so perhaps you could give us your age, NW Type, Etc... and maybe some photos as well in order to back up your faith/recommendation in the skills of the Ross Group.

It is always great to find good doctors and happy patients.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

here ye here ye B spot I motion that comment. I smell bullshit jon 1. back it up his web site said he dont do mega sessions because of lack of blood flow,TRANSLANTION he can keep up with todays doctors or results for that mater do your self a faver beer GogglesPaizano investigate {it is} a life changing experience, you want it to be a positive one.Good luck good buddy

I had the procedure done in feb 04. I had gone to deyarmin and had a consult however he was kind of cold and I almost had to pry answers out of him . Dr ross was very open and showed me what to expect. I went to work 2 day later no one knew i had it done. I cut my hair with 1 one on the side and blend the top alway reminding my stylist to watch out for the scar. I do not take propecis as it played games with my system ( anxiety) As I said Im really happy with the results ( no need to go back) Im 59 yrs old and decided to do it as my hair stated to defuse thinning (hated florecent lites)however now no issue full hairline. I do not have picture but would meet anyone in san diego area to discuss thanks Jon

Hello Goggles,

I echo B-Spot's comments above! You should go with Breast Implants icon_wink.gif. Seriously though...do your homework. By today's standards 1200 grafts for a max size is extremely small and limited. That's not to say that there aren't some patients who only need 1200 grafts, but by today's standards it is small in comparison for a maximum size.

Also agreeing with B-spot...he might be a "fine" doctor for what he is capable of doing. Perhaps he gets high yield for 1200 grafts, but ultimately it is small potatoes according to today's standards when other doctor's get high yield doing even up to as high as 7800 grafts depending on the patient. Average session sizes today in most clinics are between 3000-4000 grafts.

So my best advice is...go with a more well known doc where results by real patients have been broadcasted and have had high success.

Jon1,

You said you received 1300 hairs. Did you mean 1300 grafts? Do you know the difference between a hair graft and a hair? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence...just trying to find out how many grafts/hairs you really did get. If you are happy, that's great! However, to call him a "top notch" doctor, I'm wondering if you are basing your criteria on anything other than your happiness? If you look at the Coalition doctors, they have met a number of criteria that many doctors in the world have yet to meet. To me, only those who meet the standards of the coalition are "top notch". That's not to say that a doctor MUST be part of the coalition to be top notch....surely there are other "gems" out there yet to be discovered. But I do believe in order for them to be considered "top notch", they must adhere to the standards of today's technological standards. Here are some links for reference.

Coaltion doctors' link here:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Membership Standards link here:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...ership-standards.asp

Bill

I guess Im saying that I am happy with the results. I lost some hair in the from after the procedure but it came back at about 6 to 9 months actually it was 1500 hairs( my bad) As I said he studied under Deyarmin and uses the same techniques. Again I woud gladly meet with anyone to I am just sharing my experience, as a good one thanks Jon

Jon, we are not discounting your happiness with your results. I think the problem with this situation is that Dr. Ross is mentioned, and now you are "sharing your happiness and spreading holiday cheer" with all 5 your posts belonging to this thread.

Not pointing a finger, (yet), but this forum is a POWERFUL marketing tool, and misuse has been attempted on more than one occasion.

Now, if you got 1500 hairs, you got 600-700 grafts. Not enough to really sway any prospective patients who need serious restoration NOW and in the FUTURE.

I am going to go out on a limb here, (ME? NO WAY!!!!!!) and tell you that going to Ross is a bed idea, period. REGARDLESS of who he trained with.

You can choose from the Coalition Doc's and simply put your mind at ease!

Why even take a chance?

Why? Why? Why?

Dammit man! I'm a poolboy, not a doctor!!!!

Seriously though, Ross is a no-go, unless someone wants larger boobs, of course icon_biggrin.gif.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

i want bigger boobs! I guess I have to start going to the gym more :P

I agree with B-Spot above. Generally speaking, Dr. Ross is behind the times...however, that doesn't mean he can't yield a successful transplant with 600/700 grafts. If you are happy, I'm happy for you. However, it would probably help perspective patients if you share before/after photos.

Bill

• 4 months later...

I just joined this forum after reading it for a few years. With some careful thought, I've finally decided to post a message along with this string in hopes of helping someone else who is making a decision in chosing a surgeon.

Here is my advice ... don't rush, do your homework. I wish I would have the first time.

I had my first procedure last year from Dr. Ross. Needless to say I was highly disappointed by the experience of the surgical procedure and even more by the results as I had to see myself in the mirror everyday.

After doing the necessary research and meeting with another local doctor in preparation of a second procedure, I ended up traveling to Dr. Wong in Vancouver ... the difference was night and day. The post surgical pain and healing process was remarkably different. With Dr. Ross' procedure I had substantial pain and swelling for about 12 weeks and continued to have some bleeding during this time in the donor area. After the second surgery with Dr. Wong I was amazed as there was NO swelling and virtually no pain afterward, which made me really realize what I had been through during the first procedure. Additionally, I received double the grafts in Dr. Wong's procedure which should ultimately provide an amazing result.

After the experience of my first surgery, I sent an email inquiry to IAHRS and they sent me information that they had feedback from patients with similar issues/results from Dr. Ross and that he used to be a recommended surgeon on their site (http://www.iahrs.org) but no longer is.

Prior to having my second procedure with Dr. Wong, I didn't understand the importance of the endorsements of organizations like IAHRS as well as the high marks given by other patients in forums like this one ... Dr. Wong and his staff deserve all their kudos ... my surgical experience was first rate, especially after my experience with my first procedure.

My advice is to research ALL of the websites and ONLY consider doctors who are recommended or endorsed. Also, consider a doctor that has ONLY positive patient feedback ... there is a reason that you find little or no feedback for a doctor ... I didn't want to give a "silent" endorsement by not sharing my experience. I truly hope sharing my experience can help someone else in their decision to get a hair restoration procedure.

Thank You Wrangler and welcome.

I appreciate your account of Dr. Ross, and subsequent procedure with Dr. Wong.

It is amazing how different your opinion is once you have a proper frame of reference.

I am sure you were dissappointed with your results, but until you actually sat in the chair with Dr. Wong, you probably started mentally kicking yourself for not going to H&W sooner!!!

On another thread, we are discussing this same issue--- work done by a sub-par clinic vs going to a real hair transplant professional.

The difference is staggering.

I am happy to hear of your success and thank you once again for taking the time to offer your experience.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Wrangler,

Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome to our community.

Your post is an excellent one...it is indeed key to research and spend the necessary time it takes to educate yourself.

I'm sorry that you had sub-par results with Dr. Ross, but I'm glad to see that Dr. Wong treated you well...he is an excellent physician.

I do hope you'll take the time and post some photos of your surgeries to further assist with the education of this community and so we can encourage you in your journey.

Bill

Thanks for sharing your story, Wrangler.

I also had Dr. Wong for my 2nd HT (and wish he'd have been the first icon_wink.gif)................he really does amazing work.

Hope you'll take the time to post a few pics so we can see what you had done.

Peace....

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 1 month later...

wrangler- you sound a lot like a consultant who works for hasson and wong. how many different user id's do you have? i had a horrible experience at xyz's office. i sure am glad hasson and wong were able to fix me back up again... let's see some pics to back up your claims. i'm sure hasson and wong's office have a few such pics you can post, but at least you won't be able to continue falsely slamming random doctors in order to promote your own office. get some ethics.

the best is when you use multiple id's in the same thread. that let's you congratulate yourself and offer yourself support for yourself.

Been around for a bit tanman..... not sure why you feel this post warrants your attention.

You referenced Dr. Ross in '02 along with a couple of other hacks..... I looked and read the Ross's website months ago.. they do not seem to be embracing the latest techniques and I do not know why anyone would be championing them at this time.

To be honest, your post is less innocuous than Wranglers, IMO.

I think your post is a bit off-target.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

This is now the second post tanman is accusing Wrangler of being a paid consultant. I've already posted my reply to that...so I'll just ask this: what are your motivations for being here?

Focus more attention on helping others or acquiring help instead of falsely accusing people for seemingly no reason.

Bill

Guess my original post may have hit a little too close to home?? ... initially I felt like I should respond to the specific allegations in the above post, but I believe that a few esteemed forum members stood up for me pretty well. For the record, I am NOT an employee or paid consultant for any hair restoration office, just a guy (with one user ID) who has real life experience with two hair transplant procedures.

Thanks again guys for the support!

• 1 year later...

What's up with the breast cracks? Do you guys have a Ross Group that does boob jobs mixed up with Dr. Brandon Ross in La Jolla, CA?

I haven't spent much time on these forums for hair loss and it's tough to believe what I'm reading here.

I had a transplant done with Dr. Ross just yesterday and it went smooth without any complications. The office, lunch, movies, the way he and his staff are down-to-earth and made me feel at home was perfect. I had over 3,000 put in and it took all day...(10+ hours, probably because they took their time and did a great job). I understand time will be the tell all, but the procedure went way better than what I anticipated. I will keep you all up to date with posts and pics about my progress. This was my first and hopefully last transplant. I'm wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but I can't imagine it being any better.

UPDATED NOW...READ ABOUT IT HERE

Oh yeah, I got a call from Dr. Ross today who was just checking in to see how I was doing. He was cool enough to give me his cell # in case I needed to speak with him right away.

Man, maybe I shouldn't have replied/posted in this topic to give it a bump, as it is pretty much older and negative (maybe just naive). Searching "Dr. Ross" further within this forum, brings up some great positive reviews as of late. Like I posted, time will tell for me, but as for now..."huge thumbs up" for Dr. Ross and his staff...they know their biz.

Here's one of the more recent positive topics here... The Truth Thread