FINPECIA AND FINCAR

slowlythinning

Finpecia and Fincar, for those of of you who are not familiar with them, are inexpensive alternatives for propecia and proscar, respectively. They are made in India where the patent laws in American are not applicable. You can buy a year's supply of them for the price of a 2 month's supply here in the U.S. My question is has anyone tried these alternatives or know anyone who has tried them? There is a big debate on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi slowlythinning,

I am from India. I do not know about Finpecia and Fincar. I will enquire about them. I have been taking Finax(Finasteride Tablets USP 1mg). I think finax is equal to propecia. They are very very cheap. You can get 50 Tablets for Rs.180 (Around $4 USD) and the manufacturer is world famous Dr.Reddy Labs icon_smile.gif

I am on Finax for last 2 months and it seems to be showing good results so far. I can see many small hairs all over, but I am not sure whether they will grow or not. No side effect shown yet. I had HT 55 days ago and still the HT hairs have not started coming out. icon_mad.gif

Ravi Vide

They are obviously generics......Finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia and Proscar thus "Fin"pecia and "Fin"car. I think a key question would be "who manufactured them?". I researched this topic when making the decision to start Propecia (Finasteride) and read of some concerns with quality of meds from India.

As long as you have a prescription, you can buy a 4 month supply of Proscar, the 5mg pill, at Walmart for $105. If you take it every other day as I am, it's an 8 month supply. Knowing that it's manufactured by a reputable company like Merck gives me huge peace of mind.'

You may want to read this link to an old thread about the inconsistencies of foreign meds.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Slowlythinning,

I enquired about Fincar and Finpecia. They are supposed to be same as proscar and propecia. They are manufactured by a company called CIPLA. CIPLA is named as a good company but I don't know whether they are maintaining 100%quality or not.

Finax is manufactured by Dr.Reddy's labs. Finax is Finasteride 1MG Tablet. It is a generic medicine. They got patents for generic propecia. Dr.Redday's lab products are something you can trust. They maintain such a high standards and they follow ethics.

There are 2 more companies in india that manufacture Finasteride. But I did not get much info about them.

Finally I think it is always better to be on safe side when you are not fully confident on foreign medicine. I am taking finax because I know about Dr.Reddy's Labs products.

- Jagdish

Ravi Vide

Yes, I am currently using Finax daily and Minoxidile every night. I had HT on 02/15/2006 and exactly from the same day I started taking Finax. I started Minoxidile 3 weeks post HT. My head was shaved on the day of surgery. My native hair started growing back almost immediately. But from last 15 days I have been observing very small thin hairs all over the head including the hairline except temples. I am sure these hairs were not there earlier. I think these hairs are the result of taking Finax. Because I used minoxidile earlier with no results. I will post my pictures with these new hairs on tuesday. I did not observe any side effects yet.

I am buying Finax in local drug store. I can buy them anywhere here in India with a prescription. But to purchase online I found this link for you. Here they are selling the tablets for the price 6 times higher than what I am getting locally. But still I think it is cheaper for you when compared to proscar and propecia. While searching I found one more surprising thing. Many people around the world are using Fincar and Finpecia whereas Finax is the mostly prescribed medicine in India.

Dr.Reddy labs(DRL) products are prescribed by all doctors in India. Basically patent laws does not apply in India. So many drug manufacturers can manifacture the same medicine with whatever quality they decide. DRL mainly goes for international patents. So it maintains the quality to 100%. You can do a google search for more information. In my openion, instead of blindly believing the statement that "Indian medicines are not quality medicines" a simple research can save you a lot of money. It is just like how software and movie field in US saving a lot of money by moving their work to India.

Finally what I am saying is try it for few months and stop it if you find it not as good as propecia or proscar?

Ravi Vide

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been using several of Dr.Reddy's meds for over a year now, get them from Inhousepharmacy.com or Globaldrug, and yes, they seem to be working just fine. I am transsexual and have a daily cocktail consisting of quite a few meds. Dr. Reddy's is OK.

Marcy

• 1 month later...

Do you require prescriptions for purchasing Finpecia and Fincar in any store in india ? or can you just buy them over the counter ?

Just asking casue i dont want to go through the hastle of getting a prescription if it can be avoided. I mean, its literally going to be me going to the doc and telling him what to prescribe . :-)

• 2 months later...

I have taken fincar for nearly a year now. No side effects. It picked up where the proscar left off. I haven't lost any more hair during that time. It's possible I've gained a little but slight. I've been in pretty good shape for awhile so I think it has just maintained what I've had.

Hi Jagdish...

I am planning to use this Finax, but thought to discuss with somebody hu already used it... i came to know that it has some side effefts like decreased sexual performance or desire.

do u heard abt it or exp something like that... any idea abt it...?

Thanks

Originally posted by jagdish:

Yes, I am currently using Finax daily and Minoxidile every night. I had HT on 02/15/2006 and exactly from the same day I started taking Finax. I started Minoxidile 3 weeks post HT. My head was shaved on the day of surgery. My native hair started growing back almost immediately. But from last 15 days I have been observing very small thin hairs all over the head including the hairline except temples. I am sure these hairs were not there earlier. I think these hairs are the result of taking Finax. Because I used minoxidile earlier with no results. I will post my pictures with these new hairs on tuesday. I did not observe any side effects yet.

I am buying Finax in local drug store. I can buy them anywhere here in India with a prescription. But to purchase online I found this link for you. Here they are selling the tablets for the price 6 times higher than what I am getting locally. But still I think it is cheaper for you when compared to proscar and propecia. While searching I found one more surprising thing. Many people around the world are using Fincar and Finpecia whereas Finax is the mostly prescribed medicine in India.

Dr.Reddy labs(DRL) products are prescribed by all doctors in India. Basically patent laws does not apply in India. So many drug manufacturers can manifacture the same medicine with whatever quality they decide. DRL mainly goes for international patents. So it maintains the quality to 100%. You can do a google search for more information. In my openion, instead of blindly believing the statement that "Indian medicines are not quality medicines" a simple research can save you a lot of money. It is just like how software and movie field in US saving a lot of money by moving their work to India.

Finally what I am saying is try it for few months and stop it if you find it not as good as propecia or proscar?

• 5 months later...

Guys iam indian.working in US

I can vouch for indian medicines.they are world class.

Dr. Reddy labs is listed in NASDAQ .It is a reputable firm.

and Finax will cost you absolute nothing may be 10$ for 1 year pills .and no Dr. prescribtion is required. Go to local chemist and ask for it.

If you have any indian friends ,they usually go to india for vacation every year . As them to bring it with them for you .They will do it.

By them some indina curry later icon_smile.gif

Guys iam indian.working in US

I can vouch for indian medicines.they are world class.

Dr. Reddy labs is listed in NASDAQ .It is a reputable firm.

and Finax will cost you absolute nothing may be 10$ for 1 year pills .and no Dr. prescribtion is required. Go to local chemist and ask for it.

If you have any indian friends ,they usually go to india for vacation every year . As them to bring it with them for you .They will do it.

By them some indian curry for them later

• 8 months later...

I've been taking Finpecia for about 7 months now. I'd say that I've definately seen the results. Side effects: Maybe a little acne, but not enough to bother me. I've also been using the wallgreens monoxidil in the evenings on average about every other day. Anyhow, it's worked just fine for me and I'd have no reason to not recommend it.

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

I have also been prescribed for Finax.. and i am thinking of starting the medication... but the thing that is really worrying me is the side effects of using Finax. Has there be any know side effects. Does it really effect sexual performace? If yes, can it be reversible once the medication is stopped?

Please reply.

Sam...

Originally posted by Going_Bald:

Hi Jagdish...

I am planning to use this Finax, but thought to discuss with somebody hu already used it... i came to know that it has some side effefts like decreased sexual performance or desire.

do u heard abt it or exp something like that... any idea abt it...?

Thanks

Hi Sam,

I was on Finax and then moved to finpecia. Using it for a year now...i havent had any side effects till now...my doc had asked me undergo liver tests i.e. SGOT and SGPOT every 6 months to ensure that it does not effect the liver.

No Sexual effecs till date...honking as always and gf also never complained. icon_wink.gif

Sandip