Maybe off topic but..

I know many here have had transplants. But, who here has said, you know what, screw this, I'm shaving my head? I am 25 and the more i read the more i realize that this procedure is a very big deal. i'm not so worried about the money thing, but the mutliple procedures, time off from work, potential for a bad transplant are all huge commitments to keeping my vanity, or at least what i feel is my vanity.

So now i am exploring the shaving my head thing. Who here has done it and how old are you? I am only 25 and if i shave my receding hairline will be right out there for everyone to see BUT once i do it its all over, i can live in peace, right?

can anyone share their story, maybe first week of the shaved look, reactions from friends, family, and most importantly reactions from women?

I know many here have had transplants. But, who here has said, you know what, screw this, I'm shaving my head? I am 25 and the more i read the more i realize that this procedure is a very big deal. i'm not so worried about the money thing, but the mutliple procedures, time off from work, potential for a bad transplant are all huge commitments to keeping my vanity, or at least what i feel is my vanity.

So now i am exploring the shaving my head thing. Who here has done it and how old are you? I am only 25 and if i shave my receding hairline will be right out there for everyone to see BUT once i do it its all over, i can live in peace, right?

can anyone share their story, maybe first week of the shaved look, reactions from friends, family, and most importantly reactions from women?

Abdi1982,

I'm sure there are some here on this forum that have done this. I guess we never really know who out there in the world that we see with a shaved head every day once looked into options such as this and then just said "forget it".

Personally, if people are confident with the whole head shaved look...I say go for it. In all honesty, though I'm much happier now, I really wish i did look good with the shaved head/goatee look. Many people can and still get hot women icon_wink.gif. Me on the other hand...I personally feel I look a lot better with hair. This belief was also reinforced when I shaved my head freshman year of high school for a swimming competition and my girlfriend at the time broke up with me. AND, there were girls i was friends with that I met with a shaved head that started to have "feelings" for me after my hair grew back. Go figure.

But there are a few guys that go to my gym that I think look cool with the bald head look and since their girlfriends/wives go to the gym too...I can tell that women react positively to it. Good for them.

And truthfully...it's not a bad recommendation to ask people to consider shaving their head before considering an HT, just to see if they like the look. Because once you get an HT...shaving your head is out unless you don't care about revealing a scar.

Interesting topic...thanks for bringing it up.

Bill

I had my head buzzed for 3+ years before I decided to have Dr. Shapiro redo the chrome spots!!!

I was good either way, but I like the hair better!

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Good thread, Abdi!

I think it's a great idea before having an HT to try shaving the head to see if you like it. Personally, I think the shape of the a person's noggin' has everything to do with it "looking good", and I think it's naturally better on people with darker skin color.

Though I clipped my hair VERY short for years before an HT, I never did clip it all the way. The closest I've ever clipped it was right after HT #2 to blend in with the top and I didn't like it..........nor did my wife.

If you're White, I wouldn't even think of doing it without getting a tan or something. To me, a white guy with a shaved head sticks out like a sore thumb.

If YOU like the look.................I say go for it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I wore a semi-shaved head for over 20 yrs because of my job in the military. I used a 1 or 1/2 clipper; it was VERY convenient and comfy on those "no bath for a week" deployments. Once I retired and put on a suit, I looked terrible. I REALLY wanted to grow my hair out and be a regular old civilian looking guy. Without the HT, I couldn't do it. I don't want to look military anymore! icon_biggrin.gif

I will say this though: there has NEVER been a better time to be a balding guy who shaves his head! NEVER! It is VERY in style and no one thinks anything of it. When I was a teenager in the 80's, anyone with a shaved head was a "bald guy". Now, its actually considered a style.

I definately recommend to any younger guys who are balding and considering a HT to shave their head down with a #1 or 2 clipper for a few months to try it out. They might find it looks good, feels comfortable, and relieves a LOT of their stress about the hairloss.

When I first stumbled onto this website i was 90% sure I was going to get an MHR HT done.

That was early this week. Since then, I've decided that MHR is the wrong place, begun taking propecia and rogaine, and now realized that I am at least half a year from being ready to get one done. In the meantime, i think I'll buzz my hair and maybe i'll decide to save my money.

Whatever happens, thanks to everyone, this is a really great forum. I'll post some pics soon as well, maybe some pre buzz and post buzz.

Hi

This is an individual choice. If you are comfortable with a shaved head and it brings you happiness, by all means,do it.. For me, it didn't. I think it is proactive for people to weigh their options on a problem which bothers them.. It is not a huge risk, big deal during the recovery process,or un-natural IF you do your research..

It's a very personal choice one has to make based on their feelings..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Abdi,

I think you've made a wise choice to shave your head and wait on the ht. You're pretty young to jump into having surgery anyway. It's good to have options and if you're happy with the shaved look, go for it. Propecia and Rogaine can do wonders too.

Abdi Jan, Chetori baradar aziz. Nakon,Nakon,Wa sad bar Nakon. Man HT gereftam va badtarin karieh keh dar omram kardam. Akseh mano nekah kon.

Hey Bill can you guess what I told this guy? You win a big prize if you do.

Photo_1.jpg.3ec5141b3a365715c69b95117c619843.jpg

Abdi &S4L

Manam mese showma meefamam. Sesall mumo shave meecardam badaz ht bethdarshode zendegeme.

merci,

bay

Story:

Two years ago my sister wanted to hook me up w/one of here friends, she asked me 2 take a pic and email her. I did and it was after a clean shave and my sister remarked that she could not show that cancer pic (tuff love from my sis, but the crome dome was not for me...I guess if I was stronger I would careless what others think about my looks (but it was more about me liking what I was seeing in the mirror and I didn't). So long story short.. if you can shave your head get buff and tan (and pull chicks and be happy...screw the HT....instead screw chicks)....I just came to the realization that after a few years with a shaved head (23-26) that I did not want to go through life looking that way (feeling depressed and dating portly ones if you get my drift) ...so if I could roll the dice for a chance at hair I would... and did (got lucky, but I do take meds and use the foam). At this point if you plan to give yourself the ability to go back to the shaved look + skip the scar like S4L suggest wait and observe the next generation of FUE work being done.

cheers

bay

I had my hair shaved for a few years. Truth be told, it was convenient as heck and girls actually tended to like it (I got laid more after I did it than before).

But I hated it. So I got a HT. I'll see how that goes in a few more months.

I guess bottom line is, a lot of people did it and it's an aesthetics thing really. If you like the look, keep it, if you don't, don't. Others won't mind.

Abdi Jan, Chetori baradar aziz. Nakon,Nakon,Wa sad bar Nakon. Man HT gereftam va badtarin karieh keh dar omram kardam. Akseh mano nekah kon.

Hey Bill can you guess what I told this guy? You win a big prize if you do.

Sorry guy...I'm not even sure what language that is. I guess I don't win the prize. icon_smile.gif

Bill

Hi

I think the shaven look can be cool when you are young and still in the dating scene.. However, once you get settled down and professional the novelty wears off. People don't mention shaving your head is FOR LIFE, not just a phase.. You have zero flexibility..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I'm 29 I shaved my hair last year.

(Norwood 3V)

I have been lurking on these forums for 4-5 years now looking for a sollution.

And to be honest I would never get a strip - to invasive and you get a massive scar with the risk of nerve damage.

FUE is too expensive and the results of either technique are generally too thin. (due to a lack of supply of course)

So one day I just decided to shave it off to give it a try.

I was lucky to have a well shaped head and it looked great. I picked up more women than before and no-one commented on my thinning hair anymore.

It was easier to go out in the wind and rain without worrying about what mother nature would expose.

Before shaving my head I was going to get a HT, now I can wait for better techniques since I dont mind the shaved head at all.

(Having said that I would still like to grow out my hair and style it, but a shaved head is definatey better than the balding look for me.)

I would suggest to those considering a HT, especially the younger ones, to try shaving your head first.

Shaving your head generally makes you look less bald and in some cases its looks both great and fashionable.

Is it for you?

There is only one way to find out...