Blue,

So how far out are you? If you're past day 9 the grafts are pretty much seated and it's likely just the hair falling out with the scab, not the bulb from which the hair grows. If the bulb was coming out, you'd see a lot of blood coming with it. Probably just shedding hairs from the grafts.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I'm a couple weeks out of a 4000 plus operation. Everything seems fine.....now I just ride the six month roller coaster according to what I've read. I'm not really all that worried about it......I don't think so anyway. My scar continues to have a little blood in it....I keep trying to scrub it out so I will heal well, but I should probably just leave the whole thing well enough alone. I'll probably post images of the whole thing come the six month or nine month mark to help some people make decisions like others helped me.

Blue,

One thing that concerned me was:

My scar continues to have a little blood in it

Can I assume that you are talking about dried blood? Or are you talking about small areas where hair might be popping through?

If the scar is oozing new blood after 2 weeks (unless it's from an ingrown hair), you need to talk to your doctor immediately. This is not normal.

If you want to post pictures, that would helps us.

Heal well.

Bill

My thoughts exactly, Bill.............wondered if it was freshicon_confused.gif. Glad to hear it's just dried blood, Blue. icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

i have something to contribute.with my procedure i had just my hairline done(thats all i needed)and i had it densly packed,so you can imagine that densly packed grafts will produce more scabs and harder to remove.my procedure was done just short of t months ago and id say i have about 25 percent maybe less of the grafts that never shed post op.i wish they did shed because although they finally began growing again,they are growing much,much slower than my other hair and i compare the growth to my beard hair as the hairs that stayed are just stubble anyway at 2 months but just slighly longer stubble every couple weeks.

anyway,since this is about scabs ill tell you what i did and although i never read it online or heard a doctor reccomend it,i asked my doctor and he had no objections to my suggestion.

first off,i planned on wearing a hat the first week or so and iwas afraid that the constant taking off and putting back on the hat may dislodge the sensitive new grafts the first critical 5 days(they did a study and they concluded that 5 days is the safe mark and the grafts are firmly ancored and are much more likly to shed the hair than the entire graft at around and after the 5 day mark).

after my procedure was done and all the blood was cleaned up as much as possible,my doctor sprayed "liquid bandage" on the graft site.its a clear coating that protects from infection but more importantly,acts like a glue to help the grafts stay in place.i asked if i could purchase this an use it after every shower the first 5 days and he said sure it would help if i was worried about dislodging grafts during my sleep or while constantly taking my hat on and off.

it worked like a charm.i dont believe i lost a single graft(at least didnt see one like so many explain they look like).

now on to the scab part of my post.i have always noticed since i was a child that besides long soaks in water,peroxide when applied to a scab also seems to soften the scab a lot and when i apply peroxide to a scab,the scab breaks apart much quicker than if i used only water.so i basically began dabbing my hairline with a cottenball soaked in peroxide before and after my showers and the scabs were gone in 2 days after i began this,keep in mind i had a LOT! of scabs.

also no rubbing of any sort was needed with this method.the only downside was that after i notice the second day that i had zero scabs left,i began to panic and think that maybe i removed the scabs too soon as they help ancor the grafts till they hold for good and without the scabs,i may lose some grafts.this was around day 6 so i shouldnt have worried but i began using the liquid bandgae for an additional 5 days just to be sure.

anyway,only 2 months post op so i have nothing to report good or bad.will i really begin to see growth in another month??like i said i have a few scattered stubble that i guess never shed and is growing very slow but i mean the hairs that shed,will they be blond at first and have to cycle a few times before they thicken up or are they dark and thick right from the start??

i understand that 3 months is the earliest they say to expect new growth,but what is the earliest one should expect growth that is noticable to anyone other than your eyes 2 inches from the mirror,lol

Jackkelly,

"Liquid bandage" is new to me. Can you provide any pics. Maybe you can also start your own photo album to keep us updated on this technique of keeping the newly transplanted grafts secured and getting rid of the scabs.

Thanks for the sharing.

I agree, Jana. It would be great to get more information about this.

Glad to hear about your positive experience, jackkelly!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I think that I have been way too conservative because its Day 19 and I still had plenty of scabs before soaking my head this evening. Once I had finished, I ran a comb through my hair and a good number of them came out.

Are there any potential problems associated with leaving the scabs on too long (ie, uneven scalp, pitting, etc.) At this point, is it safe to say that I can aggressively work off the scabs without doing any harm or are there still things that I should refrain from doing?

Its funny because I initially felt that I had less scabbing or smaller scabs after the surgery than most people, but it appears that almost all of them hung on because I was very gentle with them.

Thanks!

I did it as Bill suggested many times, and by day 10 I was scab free, with hair intact & still growing at 14 days.

I know they will be going... icon_frown.gif

Hi

half of my grafts didn't fall out and i am at 2 months post op .. Wierd cuz this didn't happen with my first 2 HT's

Oh well

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

A lot of my hairs are coming out with the scabs, but I guess that is what I get for being too cautious and leaving the scabs on so long. We'll see how the next shower goes in a few minutes.

Out of curiosity, how deep does the average graft go below the surface of the scalp?

Gossamer,

I've seen many patients who are too cautious with their scabs and leave them too long. Don't worry, your hairs should grow just fine.

Remember also, the scabs don't want to be there; but they need to feed their families too. Breaking that picket line hurts them inside as much as it might hurt your unions ability to negotiate better wages or working conditions. I mean, I don't like scabs anymore than you do; just keep in mind they're human beings also just trying to survive.

oh, wait, am I posting on the wrong forum again?

Gossamer,

I was a bit of a "Scab Champion". If you check my pictures, you will see what I mean.

I am not sure about long term ramifications. I am growing well at this point, but the final judgement is still months away. My doctor said there will be no long term effects - for what that's worth.

Be sure to keep the scabs moist and per Bill's instructions, use your fingertips in a circular motion. Regarding the comb, be careful not to snag any scabs that are still attached to your scalp.

Wishing you speedy healing.

Bayer

Thanks for all of the comments! Just for further reassurance, how deep do most grafts go below the surface? Since I have been combing across my scalp and the scabs have had a long time to adhere, I know that I have snagged a few. There wasn't much too the scabs, but it sure does make you nervous when you see the hairs with them.

FWIW, the doctor's office also did not seem too concerned about the scalp surface healing evenly, but they did suggest possibly applying some bacitracin zinc ointment before going bed to loosen the scabs before showering them off in the morning.

Gossamer,

Snagging a scab to the point of pulling it out would result in quite a bit of bleeding. From what you have mentioned, I don't think that this has happened to you.

Bacitracin is a good idea. Another thing you might want to try is washing your hair before you go to bed, sleeping with a shower cap on while your hair is wet, and then washing your hair in the morning. You might look a bit silly but this works. I picked this up from Dr. Bernstein's site.

Cheers

Bayer